Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sewer gas in the living room

I need some advice, on drain repair skills.
Live in a three bedrom "mobile home".

When I run a lot of water in the kitchen,
I get sewer gas smell in the living room.
Ideas? I mean, other than "don't do that".

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 4, 7:41*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I need some advice, on drain repair skills.
Live in a three bedrom "mobile home".

When I run a lot of water in the kitchen,
I get sewer gas smell in the living room.
Ideas? I mean, other than "don't do that".

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

Check your system venting. Also, all traps should be filled with water
to work.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Septic tank or sewer?

Can you get under the frame and see if the smell is coming from the
ground or a hole in a drain pipe running under the living room?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2012 5:41 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I need some advice, on drain repair skills.
Live in a three bedrom "mobile home".

When I run a lot of water in the kitchen,
I get sewer gas smell in the living room.
Ideas? I mean, other than "don't do that".

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

If you're on septic tank, it needs pumping!

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

Clogged stack vent comes to mind. Also, the inactive side of the sink
doesn't get the drain trap filled as often as it should.

I wonder why the smell is most intense in the living room, 20 feet away from
the kitchen? Hmm. You know, I did drain the 90 percenter furnace into the
drain line. But, I think the sewer smell predates the furnace replacement.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Joe" wrote in message

Check your system venting. Also, all traps should be filled with water
to work.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sorry, I neglected to mention. Public water, and public sewer. My bad. Ought
to have mentioned that detail.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Paul Drahn" wrote in message

If you're on septic tank, it needs pumping!

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
.. .
I need some advice, on drain repair skills.
Live in a three bedrom "mobile home".

When I run a lot of water in the kitchen,
I get sewer gas smell in the living room.
Ideas? I mean, other than "don't do that".

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

See "ventless venting " in Google. It's common in mobile homes.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2012 7:41 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I need some advice, on drain repair skills.
Live in a three bedrom "mobile home".

When I run a lot of water in the kitchen,
I get sewer gas smell in the living room.
Ideas? I mean, other than "don't do that".

Perhaps there is a crack in the drain line caused by freezing. I've seen
water collect in a PVC drain line that had a sag and expanding
water cracked the pipe or and obstruction could have caused water to
collect at one spot where it froze.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Public sewer, forgot to mention. Yes, I can get under the trailer, but won't
do so till summer. It's been many years I've noticed this, no rush.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Larry Fishel" wrote in message
Septic tank or sewer?

Can you get under the frame and see if the smell is coming from the
ground or a hole in a drain pipe running under the living room?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 4, 6:41*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I need some advice, on drain repair skills.
Live in a three bedrom "mobile home".

When I run a lot of water in the kitchen,
I get sewer gas smell in the living room.
Ideas? I mean, other than "don't do that".

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

Make certain the smell is 'sewer gas' and not water mold. I had a
pipe drip leak inside the wall of my home, perhaps several years went
by before the leak worsened enough to notice. And, WHEW! smelled
EXACTLY like gray water, but was not. Just the mold from all that
leakage smelled like it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Spooky. The one time I was under the trailer, I found a length of the drain
pipe from the kitchen was cut too long, and they had left it unconnected. I
pulled the piece, maybe 24 inches long, and cut it to length, and then the
fermo couplers would work. Wonder if there is another such cut?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Robert Macy" wrote in message

Make certain the smell is 'sewer gas' and not water mold. I had a
pipe drip leak inside the wall of my home, perhaps several years went
by before the leak worsened enough to notice. And, WHEW! smelled
EXACTLY like gray water, but was not. Just the mold from all that
leakage smelled like it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2012 8:41 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I need some advice, on drain repair skills.
Live in a three bedrom "mobile home".

When I run a lot of water in the kitchen,
I get sewer gas smell in the living room.
Ideas? I mean, other than "don't do that".

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

I had that problem once and replaced one of these and it went away.

http://www.studor.com/mini-vent.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

So, I turn on the water in the sink, and a few minutes later, smell the cat
terd under the sofa? But, the rest of the day I don't smell cat terd?
Somehow, I don't think that's a likely answer.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

Do you have an indoor pet? Maybe they did a job in there under the
couch or something!

Bouncing living room floor. Derek G.[_3_] UK diy 9 July 18th 11 10:09 PM
Sunken living room cln Home Repair 8 September 11th 07 01:53 PM
HELP LIVING ROOM NEEDS TO BE A BEDROOM!!!! [email protected] Home Repair 5 June 7th 07 05:35 PM
Will my sofa fit through my living room door? [email protected] UK diy 91 March 1st 06 10:58 PM
So, how many sockets in a living room? Jeff Sheard UK diy 54 February 21st 05 09:02 PM