Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT New tag

My birthday is in Dec so I am just getting my 2011 tag.

I have never had the sticker stolen off of my car, but I have a friend
that has had her's stolen. She says to take a box cutter and cut a
couple of times across and up/down.

If someone tries to swipe it, they will stop when they discover it
tears.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
My birthday is in Dec so I am just getting my 2011 tag.

I have never had the sticker stolen off of my car, but I have a friend
that has had her's stolen. She says to take a box cutter and cut a
couple of times across and up/down.

If someone tries to swipe it, they will stop when they discover it
tears.

You wish they'd stop!

My state (Texas) used to do that - pay bags of money and get a postage-stamp
sized sticker for the license plate. It was common to cut several (not one
or two) diagonal lines across the tag to discourage theft.

Now the state issues decals for the driver's side interior window, next to
the inspection sticker.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/2/2012 4:08 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

If someone tries to swipe it, they will stop when they discover it
tears.

They've just started breaking the plate end that the tag is on around
here. They can then cut it out at their leisure to attach so it makes
no difference about the tag decal itself.

If they've not figured that out there yet, it won't be long methinks...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 17:08:37 -0500, Metspitzer
wrote:

My birthday is in Dec so I am just getting my 2011 tag.

I have never had the sticker stolen off of my car, but I have a friend
that has had her's stolen. She says to take a box cutter and cut a
couple of times across and up/down.

If someone tries to swipe it, they will stop when they discover it
tears.

No, they will just take the entire plate instead. Had one stolen a few
years ago and I was told it is quite common.

Here in CT, we no longer have stickers. The police run the plate when
they stop you anyway so they will know if it is registered and
emissions are current.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 16:26:27 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 1/2/2012 4:08 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

If someone tries to swipe it, they will stop when they discover it
tears.

They've just started breaking the plate end that the tag is on around
here. They can then cut it out at their leisure to attach so it makes
no difference about the tag decal itself.

If they've not figured that out there yet, it won't be long methinks...

Ours have a serial number on them so the fraud can be discovered. Seems they
should have the tag number printed on the sticker, instead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote the following:
Metspitzer wrote:
My birthday is in Dec so I am just getting my 2011 tag.

I have never had the sticker stolen off of my car, but I have a friend
that has had her's stolen. She says to take a box cutter and cut a
couple of times across and up/down.

If someone tries to swipe it, they will stop when they discover it
tears.

You wish they'd stop!

My state (Texas) used to do that - pay bags of money and get a postage-stamp
sized sticker for the license plate. It was common to cut several (not one
or two) diagonal lines across the tag to discourage theft.

Now the state issues decals for the driver's side interior window, next to
the inspection sticker.

Did you mean interior windshield, like they do in NY?
The police here usually stand on the double line in the roadway so they
can see the color and large sized year on the stickers as the cars approach.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:

Here in CT, we no longer have stickers. The police run the plate
when they stop you anyway so they will know if it is registered
and emissions are current.

yeah, but how do they know at a glance if you've renewed it?

Your tax dollars at work.

There are camera systems developed for cop cars that are constantly
scanning, looking for something in the video images that looks like a
license plate. When they find it, they perform OCR (optical character
recognition) to get the plate number and automatically do a look-up to
see if there's anything on the plate (expired, stolen, etc).

Cops with that system in their car will troll up and down parking lots.
All they have to do is drive. The system will alert them to anything it
finds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2012 2:26 PM, dpb wrote:
On 1/2/2012 4:08 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

If someone tries to swipe it, they will stop when they discover it
tears.

They've just started breaking the plate end that the tag is on around
here. They can then cut it out at their leisure to attach so it makes no
difference about the tag decal itself.

If they've not figured that out there yet, it won't be long methinks...

--

yeah, missouri even went to putting the sticker in the smack dab middle
of the plate because the theivin *******s were taking tin snips and just

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
HeyBub wrote the following:
Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

Yeah, it's inside.

So a cop is standing in the middle of the roadway hoping:
A. He doesn't become a statistic, and
B. A driver will stop when directed to do so.

No, that technique wouldn't work in Texas. Or very many other places, I'd
bet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 21:28:50 -0500, wrote:

They are also
integrating the insurance database into the DMV database so driving
uninsured will be a little riskier.

In Illinois it's probably a "fake" insurance check when you renew tags
online.
Won't proceed without entering a policy, but you could probably put
Mickey Mouse in there.
Here's a real winner.
I just went on-line to a bank account to check a CD maturity date.
It was a minor hassle setting up on-line access in the first place.
Had to plug in an answer to all these questions.

1st kid middle name
1st pet
fav food
hs graduated from
fav movie
elem school
city born
fav fict character
fav vacation dest
fav restaraunt
fav dessert
honeymoon location
fav album
fav car model

I had put this in the slick PIM I use to go on-line, so I had all this
info locked in, not on a piece of paper I could lose.
In the past the account always asked for the answer to 2 questions,
randomly.
You have to write this crap down, because some of the answers change.
Like favorite food. I put down ribs.
But if I smelled bacon when I was logging on, I would be confused.

Anyway, I haven't been on this account for half a year or so.
And my computer has been restored and I'm using a different browser,
so there's no cookie.
So after I put in my ID and password, I was presented with 14
questions and asked to answer any 2 of them.
So what's the problem with that?
NONE OF THE QUESTIONS WERE THE ABOVE QUESTIONS!!!!!!
Not a one! They were all different questions I had never answered.
Like "sisters's middle name" and other nonsense.
Hell, I've got 4 sisters and they don't know any of them.
So I figure I'm going to have to get on the phone to them.
But for kicks I answered my Dad's birthplace and middle name.
Terre Haute and *******
It took me to my account.
What a joke those "security" questions are.
They don't know those answers are correct.
Now I'm going to have to call their IT department anyway.
It's the right thing to do, because I have to assume they don't know
about it. I sure hope it's a bug and not designed that way.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2012 5:13 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Metspitzer wrote:
My birthday is in Dec so I am just getting my 2011 tag.

I have never had the sticker stolen off of my car, but I have a friend
that has had her's stolen. She says to take a box cutter and cut a
couple of times across and up/down.

If someone tries to swipe it, they will stop when they discover it
tears.

You wish they'd stop!

My state (Texas) used to do that - pay bags of money and get a postage-stamp
sized sticker for the license plate. It was common to cut several (not one
or two) diagonal lines across the tag to discourage theft.

Now the state issues decals for the driver's side interior window, next to
the inspection sticker.

Indiana has two stickers...one for month/day, the other for the year.
Both have the plate number on the sticker.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2012 7:59 PM, dpb wrote:
On 1/2/2012 5:18 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 16:26:27 -0600, wrote:

On 1/2/2012 4:08 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

If someone tries to swipe it, they will stop when they discover it
tears.

They've just started breaking the plate end that the tag is on around
here. They can then cut it out at their leisure to attach so it makes
no difference about the tag decal itself.

If they've not figured that out there yet, it won't be long methinks...

Ours have a serial number on them so the fraud can be discovered.
Seems they
should have the tag number printed on the sticker, instead.

So do these but unless/until they're actually stopped and verified,
they've served the miscreant's purpose.

Odds are pretty good that unless actually do something to attract
attention they'll never get glanced at as long as are the right color
for the current year and have the right month expiration letters (which
are the only visible-from-distance printing).

--

Not so fast ) Ex. husb. is ex. cop...when we rode together with me
driving, he would mention occasionally when a cop was behind us that the

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2012 10:28 PM, HeyBub wrote:
willshak wrote:
HeyBub wrote the following:
Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

Try to stop the driver? No way! Just mail a summons to the vehicle owner.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/3/2012 8:22 AM, Norminn wrote:

Odds are pretty good that unless actually do something to attract
attention they'll never get glanced at as long as are the right color
for the current year and have the right month expiration letters (which
are the only visible-from-distance printing).

--

Not so fast ) Ex. husb. is ex. cop...when we rode together with me
driving, he would mention occasionally when a cop was behind us that the
cop was running a plate....

Well, maybe, but odds are still pretty good in your favor unless you've
done something to bring attention to yourself. (Unless you're in a
place that has a ratio of 1:1 cop cars following you???)

If weren't, there wouldn't be so many swiping stickers, would there?
Odds are it get's 'em through at least one renewal period, maybe a couple...

I got stopped in the old work truck last year because the stickers were
out of date--they came in mail the day we were leaving town and I had
only put them on the car and stuck them in the glovebox of the 4x4 then
totally forgotten about it. Fortunately, since they were there the dude
let me go but it was the wrong color/year that caught his eye, not the
actual tag number. If it had been somebody else's sticker but the right
color, nothing would have happened.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/3/2012 10:28 AM, dpb wrote:
On 1/3/2012 8:22 AM, Norminn wrote:

Odds are pretty good that unless actually do something to attract
attention they'll never get glanced at as long as are the right color
for the current year and have the right month expiration letters (which
are the only visible-from-distance printing).

--

Not so fast ) Ex. husb. is ex. cop...when we rode together with me
driving, he would mention occasionally when a cop was behind us that the
cop was running a plate....

Well, maybe, but odds are still pretty good in your favor unless you've
done something to bring attention to yourself. (Unless you're in a place
that has a ratio of 1:1 cop cars following you???)

VERY old car in very upscale neighborhood would probably suffice, even
without determining my skin color. ) I was most fond of my '84 Buick
because it was so easy to find in parking lots....

If weren't, there wouldn't be so many swiping stickers, would there?
Odds are it get's 'em through at least one renewal period, maybe a
couple...

I got stopped in the old work truck last year because the stickers were
out of date--they came in mail the day we were leaving town and I had
only put them on the car and stuck them in the glovebox of the 4x4 then
totally forgotten about it. Fortunately, since they were there the dude
let me go but it was the wrong color/year that caught his eye, not the
actual tag number. If it had been somebody else's sticker but the right
color, nothing would have happened.

--

I did the same thing, but didn't get stopped. Finally remembered to
stick it....had hoped warmer weather would arrive first.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/3/2012 1:24 PM, micky wrote:

Do people who don't live around here know what the beltway is?

I'm asking other people mroe than you, gf.

Everyone, do you know?

Some time ago in another part of the country, I was supposed to go to
a girl's house and I asked her if she lived inside or outside the
beltway, and either I couln't manage to explain to her what I meant or
she didn't know.

Well, those who have been there or been places where the vernacular is
used (Raleigh, NC) is one other understand, yes.

Very many places that even if there is one, don't use it in that fashion
in direction-giving, however.

I would consider it a sign of the insider bias that thinks that should
be universally understood to mean what you think it means, not the other
way 'round of faulting the local.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/3/2012 11:29 AM, Norminn wrote:
On 1/3/2012 10:28 AM, dpb wrote:

Well, maybe, but odds are still pretty good in your favor unless you've
done something to bring attention to yourself. (Unless you're in a place
that has a ratio of 1:1 cop cars following you???)

VERY old car in very upscale neighborhood would probably suffice, even
without determining my skin color. )...

You're living in wrong kind of place, then...

_Very_ old car would be status symbol.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 09:22:08 -0500, Norminn wrote:
Odds are pretty good that unless actually do something to attract
attention they'll never get glanced at as long as are the right color
for the current year and have the right month expiration letters (which
are the only visible-from-distance printing).

--

Not so fast ) Ex. husb. is ex. cop...when we rode together with me
driving, he would mention occasionally when a cop was behind us that the
cop was running a plate. I've never had a ticket, but perhaps because
it was an old car (it certainly was not because of ambition to enforce
the law)? Scary guy to ride with...many stories of totalling police
cruisers....used to remind him there was no flashing blue light atop the
car

I had it happen to me the other day - pulled out onto a road behind a cop
car, and a little way down he swung over to the side of the road, let me
by, then started following me. It was dark, and the road was quite icy,
yet he insisted on driving about 6' from the back of the car while - I
assume - he ran a plate check.

Not really sure what the best plan in that situation is. I'm perfectly
comfortable with close driving when the condtions allow - spent most of
my life overseas where it was normal - but that close in deer country
when it's dark and icy is just asking for trouble.

In the end, he tailed me like that for another 1/2 mile or so, then
backed off and followed at a much safer distance for another couple of
miles before taking a different route to me.

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 20:52:48 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson
wrote:

[...]

....and if you thought you saw a cute little bunny in the road?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 01:16:59 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 23:43:48 -0500, "
wrote:

On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 21:28:50 -0500,
wrote:

On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 18:18:28 -0500, "
wrote:

On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 16:26:27 -0600, dpb wrote:

Ours have a serial number on them so the fraud can be discovered. Seems they
should have the tag number printed on the sticker, instead.

They have the tag number on them in Florida.

We are starting to see more cop cars with the hood cams that run the
tag as soon as it sees it on the lap top and alerts the cop if there
is anything wrong. They can read tags in a fraction of a second so the
cop is checking every car in range of the two cameras (fore and aft)
The stickers are becoming somewhat redundant. They are also
integrating the insurance database into the DMV database so driving
uninsured will be a little riskier.

Wish they would do that here. Our insurance company said that 25% of the
drivers in the state are driving, illegally, without insurance. The insurance
rates are sky high because of it.

The technology is in place here to really put a stop to driving
without insurance but I think there is a political component. The left
will see this as a racist policy if they end up with a lopsided ratio
of arrestee. The law is really tough tho, They can tow your car if you
don't have insurance and you still get a ticket.
This is all online and the cop can see it. The fear may be that there
may be errors in the database

Yes, but they'd have to have a process for the insurance companies to report
cancelled policies. They don't and where they do, it's much less than
perfect. I know people who have had their licenses suspended after they
switched insurance companies. Not good either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 23:41:47 -0500, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

That is supposed to be part of the system. It is supposed to be
updated immediately ... but it is the government.

In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality they're not.
Socialism is *supposed* to work, too.

Personally I think insurance companies should replace DMV entirely.
Let them issue the tags and manage titles. They are the ones with the
real skin in the game and they have an interstate computer system that
is up to the task. If you drop your insurance, an insurance company
would immediately invalidate your tag and until another insurance
company picked it up you would be flagged by the cops.

Until a malicious agent turns your ass in and you have to prove the "mistake".
There are too many things that can go wrong with this.

At least, if there was an error you would have a real company to sue.
You would not be in that futile exercise of trying to get the
government to admit an error. The reality is, if they really
coordinated their systems, an insurance transfer would be seamless.

Yeah, like that's an alternative. Sue for what?