Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default OT New tag

On 1/2/2012 10:28 PM, HeyBub wrote:
willshak wrote:
HeyBub wrote the following:
Metspitzer wrote:
My birthday is in Dec so I am just getting my 2011 tag.

I have never had the sticker stolen off of my car, but I have a
friend that has had her's stolen. She says to take a box cutter
and cut a couple of times across and up/down.

If someone tries to swipe it, they will stop when they discover it
tears.

You wish they'd stop!

My state (Texas) used to do that - pay bags of money and get a
postage-stamp sized sticker for the license plate. It was common to
cut several (not one or two) diagonal lines across the tag to
discourage theft. Now the state issues decals for the driver's side
interior window,
next to the inspection sticker.

Did you mean interior windshield, like they do in NY?
The police here usually stand on the double line in the roadway so
they can see the color and large sized year on the stickers as the cars
approach.

Yeah, it's inside.

So a cop is standing in the middle of the roadway hoping:
A. He doesn't become a statistic, and
B. A driver will stop when directed to do so.

No, that technique wouldn't work in Texas. Or very many other places, I'd
bet.

Try to stop the driver? No way! Just mail a summons to the vehicle owner.