Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LED bulb Life

I just took apart a failed LED bulb replacement. The circuitry appears
fairly complex using caps diodes and active components Complex
relative to a circuit that is just a rectifier and current limiting
resistor. While the LEDs themselves may have high reliability I think
the failing point is going to be the power supply and I am not
expecting them to have much better reliability than CFLs. I do think
there is a future for home LED lighting that will come when buildings
are wired for low voltage lighting that removes the 120 VAC to low
voltage DC power supplies from the bulbs.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

JIMMIE wrote in news:2e634943-f451-4731-b06f-
:

I just took apart a failed LED bulb replacement. The circuitry appears

{snip}

Why did you take it apart? They are pricey and have lives rated at 10k-30k
hrs. All bulbs at this point should be under warranty.

I bought a Feit LED night light. It should've lasted forever but
failed after one week. Warranty required that I mail it to them
at my expense; which would've cost more than the light did.

I went back to an incandescent night light, and I don't buy Feit
products any more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:

I just took apart a failed LED bulb replacement. The circuitry appears
fairly complex using caps diodes and active components Complex
relative to a circuit that is just a rectifier and current limiting
resistor. While the LEDs themselves may have high reliability I think
the failing point is going to be the power supply and I am not
expecting them to have much better reliability than CFLs. I do think
there is a future for home LED lighting that will come when buildings
are wired for low voltage lighting that removes the 120 VAC to low
voltage DC power supplies from the bulbs.

But low voltage wiring won't eliminate the electronics, unless just a
simple resistor is put in series with each LED (probably not so energy
efficient), because LEDs need current-regulated power supplies, just
as CFLs do (but at higher voltage).

Here's a CFL disected:

http://shaddack.twibright.com/projects/reveng_cfl/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2012 8:26 PM, larry moe 'n curly wrote:

JIMMIE wrote:

[...]

New light bulbs look more complex than my first computer
Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:

[...]

New light bulbs look more complex than my first computer - Hide quoted text -

I've been skeptical as to the duration of LED lights
for exactly those reasons and because of experience
with CFLs. I think the huge hours claimed on LED
packages is based on the core LED semiconductor
technology, not the actual lamps themselves, which
obviously include other electronics. Even the LEDs
are probably made in China and I would suspect would
not last as long as a Japanese LED in a typical
consumer appliance. But we shall see.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 2, 6:46*pm, Red Green wrote:
JIMMIE wrote in news:2e634943-f451-4731-b06f-
:

I just took apart a failed LED bulb replacement. The circuitry appears
fairly complex using caps diodes and active components Complex
relative to a circuit that is just a rectifier and current limiting
resistor. While the LEDs themselves may have high reliability I think
the failing point is going to be the power supply and I am not
expecting them to have much better reliability *than CFLs. I do think
there is a future for home LED lighting that will come when buildings
are wired for low voltage lighting that removes the 120 VAC to low
voltage DC power supplies from the bulbs.

Jimmie

Why did you take it apart? They are pricey and have lives rated at 10k-30k
hrs. All bulbs at this point should be under warranty. I could see the
curiousity angle if they were a couple of bucks.

The bulb was from work and they were nt going for the refund so it
just became curiosity to me. Processing the refund becomes more
expensive than the bulb. Not the first LED lights we had with this
problem. First we tried were for stairwell lighting. Two of the 3
failed within about 6 months. Failure analysis showed it was the power
supply. Since the stairwell was on its on breaker we opted to build a
LVDC power supply for the lights and bypass the existing power supply.
That was 3 years ago and there have been no more failures. I think LED
lighting as a direct replacement for existing lights is a big mistake
as the built in power supplies will always s be the weak link.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 2, 8:26*pm, "larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:

I just took apart a failed LED bulb replacement. The circuitry appears
fairly complex using caps diodes and active components Complex
relative to a circuit that is just a rectifier and current limiting
resistor. While the LEDs themselves may have high reliability I think
the failing point is going to be the power supply and I am not
expecting them to have much better reliability *than CFLs. I do think
there is a future for home LED lighting that will come when buildings
are wired for low voltage lighting that removes the 120 VAC to low
voltage DC power supplies from the bulbs.

But low voltage wiring won't eliminate the electronics, unless just a
simple resistor is put in series with each LED (probably not so energy

No, but it can be much better quality using a transformer or a
switching power supply, ( very efficient) and not have to be
duplicated for every light. We have low voltage power supplies that
have been running for 20+ years 24/7.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote in
:

[...]

Makes sense. I woulda done the same. I hacked up my first CFL with the HF
MF tool. Piece O' Cake and clean. Yet another HF success story :-)

Bulb Life ? Bob[_44_] Home Repair 11 October 31st 11 03:54 PM
Reel life stars are becoming best buddies in Real life Priyanka Mehta Metalworking 0 December 1st 09 06:53 AM
Constitutionality of light bulb ban questioned - Environmental Protection Agency must be called for a broken bulb metspitzer Home Repair 199 July 3rd 08 04:49 AM
Income for life,go and see this movie presentation is in english andspanish version will change your whole life!!! [email protected] Home Repair 0 December 9th 07 01:40 AM
long life bulb, lasted 3 weeks, anything wrong my wiring? misterroy UK diy 4 March 13th 06 04:01 AM