Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default LED bulb Life

JIMMIE wrote in
:

On Jan 2, 6:46*pm, Red Green wrote:
JIMMIE wrote in
news:2e634943-f451-4731-b06f-
:

I just took apart a failed LED bulb replacement. The circuitry
appears fairly complex using caps diodes and active components
Complex relative to a circuit that is just a rectifier and current
limiting resistor. While the LEDs themselves may have high
reliability I think the failing point is going to be the power
supply and I am not expecting them to have much better reliability
*than CFLs. I do think there is a future for home LED lighting that
will come when buildings are wired for low voltage lighting that
removes the 120 VAC to low voltage DC power supplies from the
bulbs.

Jimmie

Why did you take it apart? They are pricey and have lives rated at
10k-30

hrs. All bulbs at this point should be under warranty. I could see
the curiousity angle if they were a couple of bucks.

The bulb was from work and they were nt going for the refund so it
just became curiosity to me. Processing the refund becomes more
expensive than the bulb.

Makes sense. I woulda done the same. I hacked up my first CFL with the HF
MF tool. Piece O' Cake and clean. Yet another HF success story :-)

Not the first LED lights we had with this
problem. First we tried were for stairwell lighting. Two of the 3
failed within about 6 months. Failure analysis showed it was the power
supply. Since the stairwell was on its on breaker we opted to build a
LVDC power supply for the lights and bypass the existing power supply.
That was 3 years ago and there have been no more failures. I think LED
lighting as a direct replacement for existing lights is a big mistake
as the built in power supplies will always s be the weak link.

Jimmie