Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default LED bulb Life

On Jan 2, 8:26*pm, "larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:

I just took apart a failed LED bulb replacement. The circuitry appears
fairly complex using caps diodes and active components Complex
relative to a circuit that is just a rectifier and current limiting
resistor. While the LEDs themselves may have high reliability I think
the failing point is going to be the power supply and I am not
expecting them to have much better reliability *than CFLs. I do think
there is a future for home LED lighting that will come when buildings
are wired for low voltage lighting that removes the 120 VAC to low
voltage DC power supplies from the bulbs.

But low voltage wiring won't eliminate the electronics, unless just a
simple resistor is put in series with each LED (probably not so energy

No, but it can be much better quality using a transformer or a
switching power supply, ( very efficient) and not have to be
duplicated for every light. We have low voltage power supplies that
have been running for 20+ years 24/7.