Posted to alt.home.repair

Default May leave Xmas lights up all year

I put up a couple of strings of white LED Xmas lights up underneath my
front porch and plugged them in to the existing lamp socket. You cant
see the lights from the front of the house but they light up the porch
nicely at night.. Original lights were two clear bulb incandescent
lamps. Outlets were made into the old porcelain fixtures

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2011 9:48 PM, JIMMIE wrote:
I put up a couple of strings of white LED Xmas lights up underneath my
front porch and plugged them in to the existing lamp socket. You cant
see the lights from the front of the house but they light up the porch
nicely at night.. Original lights were two clear bulb incandescent
lamps. Outlets were made into the old porcelain fixtures

Jimmie

The led string will consume a lot less power and may last a great deal
longer than a CFL or incandescent bulb. Why not?

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2011 9:48 PM, JIMMIE wrote:
I put up a couple of strings of white LED Xmas lights up underneath my
front porch and plugged them in to the existing lamp socket. You cant
see the lights from the front of the house but they light up the porch
nicely at night.. Original lights were two clear bulb incandescent
lamps. Outlets were made into the old porcelain fixtures

Jimmie

The led string will consume a lot less power and may last a great deal
longer than a CFL or incandescent bulb. Why not?

TDD

I've often thought, that when I win the lotto and build my dream house,
I'd put rope or strip lighting of the appropriate colors into a notch in
the soffits, and jut hardwire them. Look at calendar, and flip
appropriate switch up high by the front door.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 19:48:47 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE
wrote:

I put up a couple of strings of white LED Xmas lights up underneath my
front porch and plugged them in to the existing lamp socket. You cant
see the lights from the front of the house but they light up the porch
nicely at night.. Original lights were two clear bulb incandescent
lamps. Outlets were made into the old porcelain fixtures

Jimmie

If it works for you, go ahead. My way works for me. I leave them down
all year. Candles in the windows is what my wife does.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2011 10:31 PM, aemeijers wrote:
On 12/31/2011 9:48 PM, JIMMIE wrote:
I put up a couple of strings of white LED Xmas lights up underneath my
front porch and plugged them in to the existing lamp socket. You cant
see the lights from the front of the house but they light up the porch
nicely at night.. Original lights were two clear bulb incandescent
lamps. Outlets were made into the old porcelain fixtures

Jimmie

The led string will consume a lot less power and may last a great deal
longer than a CFL or incandescent bulb. Why not?

TDD

I've often thought, that when I win the lotto and build my dream house,
I'd put rope or strip lighting of the appropriate colors into a notch in
the soffits, and jut hardwire them. Look at calendar, and flip
appropriate switch up high by the front door.

With unlimited funds to play with, you could make them computer
controlled and have them cover every square inch of the house so
you could display images and words. I think there is a place in
Vegas that has a canopy over a street where they do that. Happy
New Year by the way, I hear constant gunfire now. ^_^ 12:03am
2012

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

The only problem is that they are not rated for continuous year round
outdoor exposure.

Most strings say 3 months and that maybe cumulative over the years so if
they are up one month at a time you should only use them for three years.

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
I put up a couple of strings of white LED Xmas lights up underneath my
front porch and plugged them in to the existing lamp socket. You cant
see the lights from the front of the house but they light up the porch
nicely at night.. Original lights were two clear bulb incandescent
lamps. Outlets were made into the old porcelain fixtures

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
I put up a couple of strings of white LED Xmas lights up underneath my
front porch and plugged them in to the existing lamp socket. You cant
see the lights from the front of the house but they light up the porch
nicely at night.. Original lights were two clear bulb incandescent
lamps. Outlets were made into the old porcelain fixtures

Jimmie

It's a nice way to light a porch -- very even illumination, not too bright
and certainly energy efficient. Rope light would be a better choice because
it's UL rated for outdoor installations on a continuous basis. Holiday
light strings are only rated for seasonal use.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 1, 9:49*am, "Nono" wrote:
"JIMMIE" wrote in message

I put up a couple of strings of white LED Xmas lights up underneath my
front porch and plugged them in to the existing lamp socket. *You cant
see the lights from the front of the house but they light up the porch
nicely at night.. Original lights were two clear bulb incandescent
lamps. Outlets were made into the old porcelain fixtures

Jimmie

It's a nice way to light a porch -- very even illumination, not too bright
and certainly energy efficient. *Rope light would be a better choice because
it's UL rated for outdoor installations on a continuous basis. *Holiday
light strings are only rated for seasonal use.

Tomsic

A house near me had Xmas light up all year from a year ago. They were
hung in trees in the yard and were the type that look like icicles,
with
light strobing down. I was surprised at how long they lasted. Over
the months the number that were still working declined, but I'd say
most made it through summer and there were still some left going
into Dec. They finally took them down a couple weeks before this
Xmas and replaced them with new ones.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 00:03:51 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

With unlimited funds to play with, you could make them computer
controlled and have them cover every square inch of the house so
you could display images and words. I think there is a place in
Vegas that has a canopy over a street where they do that.

"...The most obvious and largest part of the Fremont Street Experience
is the Viva Vision canopy and light show. The canopy towers 90 feet
above the ground and spans the length of five football fields.
Featuring more than 12 million LED modules and 555,000-watt sound
system, the light show attracts tourists and locals alike. "

http://www.vegas.com/attractions/off_the_strip/fremontstreet.html

Now they've added a zip-line ride.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

With unlimited funds to play with, you could make them computer
controlled and have them cover every square inch of the house so
you could display images and words. I think there is a place in
Vegas that has a canopy over a street where they do that.

"...The most obvious and largest part of the Fremont Street Experience
is the Viva Vision canopy and light show. The canopy towers 90 feet
above the ground and spans the length of five football fields.
Featuring more than 12 million LED modules and 555,000-watt sound
system, the light show attracts tourists and locals alike. "

http://www.vegas.com/attractions/off_the_strip/fremontstreet.html

Now they've added a zip-line ride.

That's the one I was thinking of but where are you going to get barely
dressed women to dance around your home? o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

You know, that sure makes a lot of sense. I missed the clearance LED lights
for this year. But, maybe next year I'll get some for low light areas that
would be nice to have a little light all the time. Thanks for the good idea.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
I put up a couple of strings of white LED Xmas lights up underneath my
front porch and plugged them in to the existing lamp socket. You cant
see the lights from the front of the house but they light up the porch
nicely at night.. Original lights were two clear bulb incandescent
lamps. Outlets were made into the old porcelain fixtures

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Perhaps JIMMIE will let us know when the LED string burns out? Could work.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

They don't last long enough to permanently install. Just hire someone to
put
up the decorations each year. They can have it all done before you get back
from the Bahamas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's the one I was thinking of but where are you going to get barely
dressed women to dance around your home? o_O

TDD

Craigslist?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wow, Oren, that's a double entendre par excellance.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Oren" wrote in message

That's the one I was thinking of but where are you going to get barely
dressed women to dance around your home? o_O

TDD

Craigslist?

TOUCHÉ

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote the following:
On Jan 1, 9:49 am, "Nono" wrote:
"JIMMIE" wrote in message

[...]

I live on a short (400'?) cul-de-sac off a dead end road, consisting of
7 houses, with 3 of them in the circle. My neighbor across the street
puts up Christmas lights all over his house and lawn every year.
It's enough to provide the holiday spirit for the whole cul-de-sac, and
to some extent, provide some ambient lighting for the street since there
are no street lights.
No other neighbor goes to such great lengths, and the only major traffic
on the street are residents and guests.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Xmas lights geoff UK diy 6 November 1st 10 11:12 AM
YOUR policy on Xmas lights Steve B[_2_] Home Repair 56 December 7th 09 01:12 AM
LED Xmas lights Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 9 December 24th 08 05:52 PM
outdoor xmas lights [email protected] UK diy 20 December 9th 05 02:17 PM
LED Xmas lights Steve Kraus Home Repair 68 December 5th 05 11:00 PM