Posted to alt.home.repair

Default YOUR policy on Xmas lights

Just spent a blustery day in forty acre ranch putting up Christmas lights.
That was after two days of testing countless strings and changing dozens of
lights. Broke two nails and my manicure looks terrible.

I told my wife two years ago that I would not put up Christmas lights again.
Last year, she acted like she didn't even hear me, and we ended up going to
Hawaii anyway, so weren't even here to see our lights. Out of spite, I left
them up till Fouth of July.

This is work for an old fart who ain't supposed to be on the roof. Heart
surgery, broken back, balance problems. Temperature 40 and the wind
blowing 30 all day. Wife sez, let the Mexicans do all the roof stuff.

So, they go up there, and when daisy chaining lights, can't figure out not
to leave two live leads sticking out on the end of a chain! Can't figure
out how to configure cords, MOS's and timers, either, so who has to go up on
the roof to make sure someone doesn't burn down the house?

In the meantime, I got other money making projects lined out the door, and I
got to waste a week on Christmas lights total.

What's YOUR policy on Xmas lights. Next year, it ain't gonna be pretty
anywhere around my house.

This IS the last year.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

I hate them. My wife is starting to come around. This year we're down to a
tree and a door wreath.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

I've noticed more and more people leaving them up year round, and just
plugging them in at Xmas. Heh, perty ingenious, if you ask me....
--
EA

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

Haven't done them for 15 years. Some of the neighbors must put in a
separate meter to run their display. I am not even going to try and
compete.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
[...]

Hi,
2 story house here, I quit going up on the roof now. Also not a good
idea walking newly done tile roof.(wife accepted this excuse, LOL!)
No more old bulbs. Switched to all LED of sparkling tpye and light
ropes. Just did it on time before cold snap coming down from North.
Last night it was close to minus 20C. When this cold our dog comes
inside. I had to wash him at the dog wash today. I don't ake down
strings at cabin. I have to gout there this week end and plug them in.
Couple years ago one of my neighbor fell from his ladder and broke his
leg and suffered a concusion.

Local guys who does the job charge 250.00 to 7500.00 including P&L.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

Your wife is trying to get you killed. Tell her to put up the lights or deal
with the hired help. And make sure her life insurance is paid up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Existential Angst wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

No kids, no SWMBO, so I don't do tree or lights. And last few years, I
am out of town last half of Dec anyway. On the spec list for the dream
house I will build after I hit the Lotto, is built-in under-eave
lighting of the appropriate colors for whatever holiday. Just hit a
switch, and there you are.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 18:56:38 -0600, "Master Betty"
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

I put up a string of white mini - LEDs a few years ago. I unplug the
timer on Jan 6 and plug it back in on about Dec 3.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

[...]

What Xmas?

I will occasionally put up very basic New Years lights along the
roofline if there is someone around to see them. One story house and
nearly all of it can be reached from ground level, just a basic 6' step
ladder needed to reach one peak.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

I feel your pain...SWMBO ALWAYS waits till it's cold to put them up...Doing
it now though it has been very unseasonably warm this year here in
Maine...Usually by now it only gets up to 25 F during the day...Today it was
60...LOL...It's my lucky year except the lights are a PITA...Damn
things....First they work then I get them up and they stop working...Had to
go get some of those small fuses that go into the plug....URRGGGHHHH.....My
dad puts up quite a display but he gets his up in Oct. when it's warm...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

What's YOUR policy on Xmas lights. Next year, it ain't gonna be pretty
anywhere around my house.

I put a spotlight on the front door wreath. The outside receptacle is
switched inside where it is warm. My wife puts a single candle in each
window. She turns them on, she turns them off.

I don't do outdoor lights.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

I don't decorate for any season. Period. I couldn't care less and neither
does DH. The only "seasonal" decorating I do is change the the colors of the
tablecloths and napkins I use for entertaining. No trees, lights, bunnies,
pumpkins, shamrocks, hearts, flags, wreaths, well, you get the idea. The
only "seasonal" thing we do is swap the screens for glass in the storm doors
and replace the deck furniture with snow shovels.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in
:

[...]

Hmmm. I've read through the replies so far. What I got out of them is for
a buch of people who like to do **** we really don't do ****.

BTW, I don't do **** either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 11:48*pm, Red Green wrote:

Hmmm. I've read through the replies so far. What I got out of them is for
a buch of people who like to do **** we really don't do ****.

BTW, I don't do **** either.

I do whatever she asks.

I just completed an 8 hour job she asked for 2 years ago.

It was the least I could do, so I did it.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 16:46:32 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote Re YOUR policy on Xmas lights:

What's YOUR policy on Xmas lights.

No lights. Period.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 7:46*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

I used to deck it out pretty good adding new bits every year. Not any
more. Tree in the window, hang a wreath. wife puts a candle in the
windows. that said, I do like some of the lighted palm trees. I
wonder if I can find a wire frame Flamingo.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My policy is that no ladder shall be used to erect Christmas lights
and they shall be put away January 1st. The house looks better with
lights on bushes rather than making a house look like a gingerbread
house. I use one electric candle in each window which is easy and
fast yet makes a big impact.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

What's YOUR policy on Xmas lights.

Bah, humbug. I don't eat turkey either.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 16:46:32 -0800, Steve B wrote:
What's YOUR policy on Xmas lights. Next year, it ain't gonna be pretty
anywhere around my house.

I don't see the point of trying to light or heat up the outside
world - the xmas lights stay indoors...

Posted to alt.home.repair

The light are for the kids. I don't have any kids and the neighbors who had
kids moved away, so no more kids around to hang them for.

Other than that, I view it as a luxury. And my policy is to cut out all
needless expenses until all my credit cards are paid off. All my bills are
paid.

I look at the interest I am paying each month on credit cards (on
statement). This is money going out the window. So I want to use every penny
to pay this off as soon as possible! No Christmas lights this year...

(If the kids were still around, I would hang them though...)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

[...]

I'm guessing your wife volunteered?

In the meantime, I got other money making projects lined out the door, and I
got to waste a week on Christmas lights total.

What's YOUR policy on Xmas lights. Next year, it ain't gonna be pretty
anywhere around my house.

This IS the last year.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in
:

The light are for the kids. I don't have any kids and the neighbors
who had kids moved away, so no more kids around to hang them for.

Other than that, I view it as a luxury. And my policy is to cut out
all needless expenses until all my credit cards are paid off. All my
bills are paid.

I look at the interest I am paying each month on credit cards (on
statement). This is money going out the window. So I want to use every
penny to pay this off as soon as possible! No Christmas lights this
year...

(If the kids were still around, I would hang them though...)

(If the kids were still around, I would hang them though...)

And you wonder why the neighbors with kids moved away...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 7:46*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

I *have* to put up Christmas Lights.

I spend almost an entire weekend setting up the gravestones, ghosts
and scarecrow picnic for Halloween. Halloween night, half a bloody
scarecrow goes under the lawnmower and the beheaded one sits in a
chair with an old chain saw. The speakers go in the upstairs window
and the spooky sounds start right after sunset.

If I do that much work for Halloween and then don't bust my butt for
Christmas, I believe that there will be lightning, floods, famine and
pestilence befalling my household.

You really don't want to **** God off!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Dec 3, 7:46 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

You really don't want to **** God off!

PLONK!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 7:46 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

You really don't want to **** God off!

PLONK!

Visit from Auntie Flo?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 06:56:10 -0800, "Bill"
wrote Re YOUR policy on Xmas lights:

I look at the interest I am paying each month on credit cards (on
statement). This is money going out the window. So I want to use every penny
to pay this off as soon as possible! No Christmas lights this year...

(If the kids were still around, I would hang them though...)

That would be murder. Only a court of competent jurisdiction can hang
children.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 7:46 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

You really don't want to **** God off!

PLONK!

Gee, I wonder why my feelings aren't hurt...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
[...]

I have one string of white under the front porch all year. It makes
very nice mood lighting, especially in the summer when we might be out
on the porch after dark. I have no real christmas lights, can't hardly
see the house from the road. Besides, my christmas spirit is filled
looking at other peoples lights so I don't need my own.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Caesar Romano wrote:

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 06:56:10 -0800, "Bill"
wrote Re YOUR policy on Xmas lights:

I look at the interest I am paying each month on credit cards (on
statement). This is money going out the window. So I want to use every penny
to pay this off as soon as possible! No Christmas lights this year...

(If the kids were still around, I would hang them though...)

That would be murder. Only a court of competent jurisdiction can hang
children.

The Supremes in the US have said you can't hang anyone under 18 at
the time of the offense.

--
To find that place where the rats don't race
and the phones don't ring at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You mean that your usent posts won't appear on one computer,
in one house, in one town, in one city, in one state, in one
nation. Somehow, your life is essentially unchanged. I've
had that same experience, when someone hurls the dreaded
"plonk" at me. So? Who cares? Maybe you and I are both
callous and unfeeling?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
You really don't want to **** God off!

PLONK!

Gee, I wonder why my feelings aren't hurt...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Certain selected juries might return no indictment.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Caesar Romano" wrote in message

(If the kids were still around, I would hang them
though...)

That would be murder. Only a court of competent jurisdiction
can hang
children.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
"Bill" wrote in
:

The light are for the kids. I don't have any kids and the neighbors
who had kids moved away, so no more kids around to hang them for.

Other than that, I view it as a luxury. And my policy is to cut out
all needless expenses until all my credit cards are paid off. All my
bills are paid.

I look at the interest I am paying each month on credit cards (on
statement). This is money going out the window. So I want to use every
penny to pay this off as soon as possible! No Christmas lights this
year...

(If the kids were still around, I would hang them though...)

(If the kids were still around, I would hang them though...)

And you wonder why the neighbors with kids moved away...

LMFAO! I didn't get it at first.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Earlier generations sacrificed virgins, sheep, firstlings,
and so on. We sacrifice Christmas tree bulbs. About the time
Jews put a Menorah in the window, and I'll admit. I'm not
sure what Islam does in the winter. Daily fasting for
Ramadan? I should know that kind of thing.

Will I get plonked? The h, I will!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

If I do that much work for Halloween and then don't bust my
butt for
Christmas, I believe that there will be lightning, floods,
famine and
pestilence befalling my household.

You really don't want to **** God off!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wait till you read what he does with kittens....

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message
"Bill" wrote in
:

(If the kids were still around, I would hang them
though...)

And you wonder why the neighbors with kids moved away...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Earlier generations sacrificed virgins, sheep, firstlings,
and so on. We sacrifice Christmas tree bulbs. About the time
Jews put a Menorah in the window, and I'll admit. I'm not
sure what Islam does in the winter. Daily fasting for
Ramadan? I should know that kind of thing.

Will I get plonked? The h, I will!
snip

Plonking is forbidden by The Book of Mormon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 7:46*pm, "Steve B" wrote:

What's YOUR policy on Xmas lights. *Next year, it ain't gonna be pretty
anywhere around my house.

No outdoor lights. Ever. When we see a house all lit up, we start
humming the "Rocky & Bullwinkle" theme and thinking about
used car lots.

The Christmas tree in the bay window on the front of the house is
enough. And stockings hung by the chimney with nails. (Hung
from the mantel, actually.)

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

Hmmm. I've read through the replies so far. What I got out of them is
for a buch of people who like to do **** we really don't do ****.

BTW, I don't do **** either.

I do **** when I have to do ****. I do put up a string of little white
lights along the eaves of the house, though, because it looks neat. I do it
for me. Cuz *I* like it.

The only problem is that the lights are now made in China and only last a
season (if that). Used to be, you'd spend $20 bucks on a nice string, and
you'd get a decade out of them.

Now you spend a couple bucks and they barely last a season (and they're too
close together, too - makes it less neato to do up a tree).

For the hassle in putting them up, I'd rather not chintz out on the initial
cost.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote

What's YOUR policy on Xmas lights. Next year, it ain't gonna be pretty
anywhere around my house.

My husband is the one who gets a kick out of them and he puts them up. We
have simple ones and little clips (clear plastic) in the eves so he just
uses a regular ladder. Single story place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 1:42*pm, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Dec 3, 7:46*pm, "Steve B" wrote:

What's YOUR policy on Xmas lights. *Next year, it ain't gonna be pretty
anywhere around my house.

No outdoor lights. *Ever. *When we see a house all lit up, we start
humming the "Rocky & Bullwinkle" theme and thinking about
used car lots.

The Christmas tree in the bay window on the front of the house is
enough. *And stockings hung by the chimney with nails. *(Hung
from the mantel, actually.)

Cindy Hamilton

"And stockings hung by the chimney with nails. "

Aren't they supposed to be hung with care?

I'm pretty sure I saw some care on sale in the latest Harbor Freight
ad.

LED Xmas lights Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 9 December 24th 08 05:52 PM
Xmas tree lights Rick Hughes UK diy 15 December 14th 08 02:51 PM
outdoor xmas lights [email protected] UK diy 20 December 9th 05 02:17 PM
LED Xmas lights Steve Kraus Home Repair 68 December 5th 05 11:00 PM
xmas lights voltage/wattage steve UK diy 13 January 1st 04 05:51 PM