Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default YOUR policy on Xmas lights

Steve B wrote:
Just spent a blustery day in forty acre ranch putting up Christmas lights.
That was after two days of testing countless strings and changing dozens of
lights. Broke two nails and my manicure looks terrible.

I told my wife two years ago that I would not put up Christmas lights again.
Last year, she acted like she didn't even hear me, and we ended up going to
Hawaii anyway, so weren't even here to see our lights. Out of spite, I left
them up till Fouth of July.

This is work for an old fart who ain't supposed to be on the roof. Heart
surgery, broken back, balance problems. Temperature 40 and the wind
blowing 30 all day. Wife sez, let the Mexicans do all the roof stuff.

So, they go up there, and when daisy chaining lights, can't figure out not
to leave two live leads sticking out on the end of a chain! Can't figure
out how to configure cords, MOS's and timers, either, so who has to go up on
the roof to make sure someone doesn't burn down the house?

In the meantime, I got other money making projects lined out the door, and I
got to waste a week on Christmas lights total.

What's YOUR policy on Xmas lights. Next year, it ain't gonna be pretty
anywhere around my house.

This IS the last year.

I have one string of white under the front porch all year. It makes
very nice mood lighting, especially in the summer when we might be out
on the porch after dark. I have no real christmas lights, can't hardly
see the house from the road. Besides, my christmas spirit is filled
looking at other peoples lights so I don't need my own.