Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

Default Is this how you wire the RJ45 female wall mount connectors?

I recently did my very first cat5e wiring in my life (details elsewhere).

The tools for the male connectors weren't too hard to figure out but what
tools do YOU use for the female connectors?

Here, for example, is the sequence of steps for my very first connection
- but the tool I used seems like overkill for the job it's doing.

Do you have better ideas?

For starters, here is the cat5 cable as I bring it UP from a crawl space
five feet above into the wall of a home office (there must be a better
way to bring the cable up through the walls):
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7248911.gif

Then, here's that cable up in the office to be wired with female RJ45
connections:
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7248919.gif

I slit the cat5e outdoor cable with a utility knife (is there something
better to use)?
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7248921.gif

Then I lined up the wires for a "B" configuration and used this 'fancy
punch' to press the wires in. Do you use this type of tool?
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7248922.gif

Since the wires didn't get cut off, I had to twist them off:
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7248930.gif

Then I clipped them into the wall plate. Is there a rule for which way
the RJ45 connector goes in (ie with the little keystone clip thing on top
or on the bottom?)
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7248934.gif

And, here's the final outcome. Is there a rule for placement of the
incoming versus outgoing connections?
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7248948.gif

It's already done (my first attempt at wiring cat5e cable) - but I would
like to learn & improve from your experience for the next set (coming
soon so I can wire the upstairs bedroom).