Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Good stuff application

I am starting to wrap my metal building. Sheets come together on the
corners, and I will use 6" x 6" x 10' 90 degree 26 ga, paintlock flashings.
In some places, it will be advantageous to add a caulk of some form, but for
larger spaces than a normal caulk bead.

Can I use a string of Good Stuff, and just let it expand? Will it adhere to
just the flat surfaces in the 90? If you use it to fill up the ridges on
the corrugated sheets, would one just spray a little in there, let it
expand, spray a little more until it filled the area?

What I want is to cut down on air flow/infiltration/outflow so that inside
air stays in, and outside stays out, and there aren't a lot of drafts.
Other areas around the doors will be handled with bulb gaskets, etc.

Just wondering how that stuff works in other than voids where it expands to
fill the void. Does it stick when applied overhead, or on a vertical
surface? I may have to make cardboard dams to stop a lot flowing out before
it hardens and skins over.

Anyone ever use this stuff in that application, or have an alternative?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 27, 12:56*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

Do us all favor, go ahead and try the GreatStuff in various ways and
let us know your experience.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in
:

[...]

Ty to find VeryGood, Better, Best or Great Stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/27/2011 12:56 PM, Steve B wrote:
[...]

Steve, I know several commercial contractors that use one of the
expanding foams on hollow metal jamb work to maintain a screw pocket
around fasteners to prevent mortar blocking the holes when the jambs are
slushed, so, yes, the stuff sticks. It is very awkward to control.

As far as sealing anything about metal building joints, the normal
product to use is called "bubble gum". It is strips of butyl rubber
like this:
http://www.rcsfixings.com/view-product/Butyl-Sealants
It is commonly used on roofing laps and gable end trim/gutter installs.

YOur trim supplier should know about and be able to supply.

--

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G

Good stuff from the JPFO Steve B[_13_] Metalworking 12 December 4th 11 02:32 AM
Good stuff Herb and Eneva Home Repair 8 September 6th 08 10:19 PM
Will a leaf and lawn vacuum work for this application? Who makes good ones? FacilityFred Home Repair 6 December 10th 06 03:18 AM
More good stuff on Junk Brothers Locutus Woodworking 5 October 7th 06 12:58 AM
Top Saver = good stuff Edwin Pawlowski Woodworking 21 February 16th 04 01:58 AM