Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.wireless

Default Does having multiple RJ45 jacks degrade the Internet signal alot?

On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 08:04:38 +0000, Chuck Banshee wrote:
This is my first time installing cat5 cable in my house and I am unsure
how to connect to RJ45 jacks that I need to put in the wall.

Here, to help, are 6 pictures uploaded to simplify descriptions:

1. WISP antenna currently jury rigged with patch cords & extension cables:
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7223272.gif

2. So-called "bucket router" temporarily being used to bring signal into
the house wirelessly from outside:
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7223356.gif

3. Crawl space view up into the floor of the office (center of house):
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/7223362.jpeg

4. Crawl space view over to the game room (far end of house):
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7223369.gif

5. Entry point at the office (where the office jack will be placed):
www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/7212874/1024/Anonymous/cat5-questions.gif

6. Entry point of the game room (where the game room jack will be placed):
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7223279.gif
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.wireless

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 05:30:21 +0000, Chuck Banshee wrote:

Here, to help, are 6 pictures uploaded to simplify descriptions:

Since I added more pictures to answer questions, here's the set:

Diagram of proposed setup (based on everyone's advice!)
* http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7223906.jpg

WISP antenna pointed at the next ridge about 2000 feet away:
* http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7223272.gif

Temporary "bucket router" to bring signal into house wirelessly:
* http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7223356.gif

Crawl space view up into the floor of the office (center of house):
* http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/7223362.jpeg

Crawl space view over to the game room (far end of house):
* http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7223369.gif

Entry point at the office (where the office jack will be placed):
* www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/7212874/1024/Anonymous/cat5-questions.gif

Entry point of the game room with box of cable proposed:
* http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7223279.gif

Klein Tools $80 cable tester bought from Home Depot (unopened as yet):
* http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7223279.gif

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.wireless

Thanks for all the advice!

Previously, I posted the wrong URL to the Klein tools so here's the
correction with the photos:

1. Diagram of proposed setup (based on everyone's advice!)
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7223906.jpg

2. WISP antenna pointed at the next ridge about 2000 feet away:
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7223272.gif

3. Temporary "bucket router" to bring signal into house wirelessly:
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7223356.gif

4. Crawl space view up into the floor of the office (center of house):
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/7223362.jpeg

5. Crawl space view over to the game room (far end of house):
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7223369.gif

6. Entry point at the office (where the office jack will be placed):
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7224156.gif

7. Entry point of the game room with box of cable proposed:
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7223279.gif

8. Klein Tools $80 cable tester bought from Home Depot (unopened as yet):
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7223573.gif

At this point, my WISP provider is asking me to set the radio in "bridge"
mode with a certain 10.x.y.z IP address and then to set my broadband
router to +1 that IP address.

So, that's my next step. If that works (it didn't when I tried it
earlier), then I will begin the permanent wiring (based on all your
wonderful inputs).

This is a great team - special thanks to the key posters on
alt.internet.wireless (Jeff, miso, clare, Char, Charlie, Stephen, krw, et
al) and alt.home.repair (trader4, Oren, willshak, et al).

You guys make the USENET work in ways the web can't compete with!

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.wireless

You guys make the USENET work in ways the web can't compete with!

Hey, I learned plenty on this thread.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.wireless

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 19:36:45 -0800, miso wrote:

Hey, I learned plenty on this thread.

And, I made a LOT of mistakes!

Here, for example, is a sequence showing my noob mistake in wiring for
the radio male RJ45!

a. This shows me blissfully unaware of the mistake I'm about to make:
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7248841.gif

b. This shows me choosing the type of connection (A or B):
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7248845.jpg

c. This shows the problem (you can't fit the connector onto the radio!):
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7248846.gif

d. And, this shows my solution (I had to cut the end off & do it again):
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7248844.gif