Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.wireless

Default Does having multiple RJ45 jacks degrade the Internet signal a lot?

On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 08:04:38 +0000 (UTC), Chuck Banshee
wrote:

This is my first time installing cat5 cable in my house and I am unsure
how to connect to RJ45 jacks that I need to put in the wall.

I've installed a WISP antenna 75 feet from the house & will be routing
the outdoor cat5 cable into the middle of the house (another 25 or so
feet) - but I have a few 'design' questions I'd like to ask those more
experienced than I am.

Cat5 is designed for 100m reach, within an office environment.

standard setup is 10m total of "patch" leads at each end, with a fixed
"home run" cable between them.

Exactly what you use over the Cat5 dictates how sensitive the sugnals
are to pushing the boundaries
- but Cat5 is designed to have some room for long term degradation.

Various setups may increase the number of RJ-45 connectors - a power
over Ethernet power injector within a run for example.

Pictured here is what I have in the wall in the middle of the house:
http://picturepush.com/public/7212874
or
www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/7212874/1024/Anonymous/cat5-questions.gif

I'm not sure if it's best to route the wire all the way from the antenna
to the middle of the house (about 75 feet to the house and another 25 or
30 feet zig-zagging to the crawl space and then up to the newly drilled
hole at the wall).

I'm going to put a wall plate at the wall in the middle of the house; but
should I also put a wall plate where the wire enters the house?

Does breaking the line into sections degrade the signal?

yes - but exactly how much depends on the device - find some cabling
instructions on how to do it properly, but in general maintain the
"twists" in each pair as much as feasible.

I think the punchdown style connections are easiest to do, and allow
the twists to within a few mm of the connector.

If I do put a wall plate at the entrance to the house, I'll likely put
the POE (power over ethernet) at the wall inside the house (otherwise it
will go in the middle of the house next to the WRT54G router).

When I put a wall plate in the middle of the house, would you add a
second female jack (just in case for future use?). Or does that also
degrade the signal?

Golden rule is treat this as flood wiring
- put more cables in parallel than you think you will ever need,
since cable is cheap and running wires in is disruptive.

Dont add extra jack points on an individual run unless you need to.

PoE is designed to work at 100m, so it doesnt sound like placement
will matter much.

In summary, I'm not sure if I should strive to keep the line intact and
how I should terminate it.

Any advice?

--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.wireless

wrote:

This is my first time installing cat5 cable in my house and I am unsure
how to connect to RJ45 jacks that I need to put in the wall.

I've installed a WISP antenna 75 feet from the house & will be routing
the outdoor cat5 cable into the middle of the house (another 25 or so
feet) - but I have a few 'design' questions I'd like to ask those more
experienced than I am.

Cat5 is designed for 100m reach, within an office environment.

standard setup is 10m total of "patch" leads at each end, with a fixed
"home run" cable between them.

Exactly what you use over the Cat5 dictates how sensitive the sugnals
are to pushing the boundaries
- but Cat5 is designed to have some room for long term degradation.

Various setups may increase the number of RJ-45 connectors - a power
over Ethernet power injector within a run for example.

Best practice would be to use a POE switch at the entry point - it
provides the POE and retransmits the data, breaking the network into 2
segments (both of which have the theoretical 75 or 100 meter length
capability)
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.wireless

wrote:

[...]

Any advice?- Hide quoted text -

It would seem to me the best thing to do would be
to run one line from the outside antenna direct to
a central distribution point in the house. At that
central point, you put the switch. Then any RJ45
jacks in the house are run to the central point.

But a lot depends on what it is he's intending to
do, the various uses, how easy it is to run cable,
etc. For at least some of the uses, wireless may
be a better option, as someone already pointed out.
No wire to run.
Wired to the various rooms/uses is still going to
provide more reliable connection and better data
rate. But if the WISP connection is the limiting
factor, having 1 gig ethernet inside the house
doesn't get you much, unless you;re moving
data between devices.