Posted to alt.home.repair

Default i broke the ceiling!!

i was cleaning the attic (want to change the insulation) i stepped on
the surface between joints and i broke 2 ribs and now there is a hole
in the bathroom ceiling please see this picture
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/577/img0862y.jpg/

I am so upset now because i did break thing instead of fixing it. how
to repair it now? home depot is not open today and i am so frustrated.
any idea on how to fix my bathroom ceiling would be very much
appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"leza wang" wrote in message
i was cleaning the attic (want to change the insulation) i stepped on
the surface between joints and i broke 2 ribs and now there is a hole
in the bathroom ceiling please see this picture
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/577/img0862y.jpg/

I am so upset now because i did break thing instead of fixing it. how
to repair it now? home depot is not open today and i am so frustrated.
any idea on how to fix my bathroom ceiling would be very much
appreciated.

1) Looks like an old plaster on lathe style of construction
2) You need to measure the thickness of the plaster to make sure you can
get the right wallboard
3) You need to remove enough of the plaster so that you actually expose
some of the crossbeams
4) The cut a piece of wallboard to fit the new cleaned out hole
5) Apply take around the edges
6) Mud the wallboard and edges with a couple of thin layers
7) Prime
8) Paint

IN the meantime, covering the hole in the attic with a blanket will help
reduce heat transfer between the bathroom and the attic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"leza wang" wrote in message
i was cleaning the attic (want to change the insulation) i stepped on
the surface between joints and i broke 2 ribs and now there is a
hole
in the bathroom ceiling please see this picture
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/577/img0862y.jpg/

I am so upset now because i did break thing instead of fixing it.
how
to repair it now? home depot is not open today and i am so
frustrated.
any idea on how to fix my bathroom ceiling would be very much
appreciated.

You broke 2 of *your* ribs? Or are your referring to the boards the
plaster is attached to?

I would not try replacing that with wall board. It is not going to be
the same thickness. Rather I would search google for the words...
plaster lath repair

Here is one...
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...172537,00.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Dec 2011 18:37:31 -0800 (PST), leza wang
wrote:

i was cleaning the attic (want to change the insulation) i stepped on
the surface between joints and i broke 2 ribs and now there is a hole
in the bathroom ceiling please see this picture
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/577/img0862y.jpg/

I am so upset now because i did break thing instead of fixing it. how
to repair it now? home depot is not open today and i am so frustrated.
any idea on how to fix my bathroom ceiling would be very much
appreciated.

You are not the first to do this and your damage is minor. Some years
ago, my wife's uncle went through his ceiling until he caught himself
at about waist deep. I know of a half dozen others similar accidents.

Looks like plaster over lath. There are a few ways of patching this
and you will learns some new skills along the way. Do a search fro
plaster repair and you should be able to find much information, better
than what I can tell you.

I'm hoping by "ribs" you mean the wood strips and not your ribs. If
it is the wood, that too is minor at it is not structural, it just
holds the plaster in place.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 25, 6:37*pm, leza wang wrote:
i was cleaning the attic (want to change the insulation) i stepped on
the surface between joints and i broke 2 ribs and now there is a hole
in the bathroom ceiling please see this picturehttp://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/577/img0862y.jpg/

I am so upset now because i did break thing instead of fixing it. how
to repair it now? home depot is not open today and i am so frustrated.
any idea on how to fix my bathroom ceiling would be very much
appreciated.

Two easy ways to fix.

First, remove the fan cover and gently pull down any loose material.

Drywall repair.
Cut away more plaster (leave the lath intact) to create a rectangular
shape to repair.
Measure the thickness of the plaster, from surface of undisturbed
plaster to lath.
Buy drywall thickness that will create a perfectly flush patch or sub-
flush.
Cut to fit, attach to framing & lath with a number of drywall screws.
Fill with drywall compound or Rapid Set One Pass (http://rapidset.com/
OnePass.asp)

Wet repair.
Make sure all loose material is removed.
Use http://rapidset.com/OnePass.asp to fill.
You should be able to do it in two passes.

cheers
Bob

http://rapidset.com/OnePass.asp

Water mix, quick cure, water proof after fully set.
Available at HomeDepot (at least in SoCal)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 25, 10:48*pm, DD_BobK wrote:
[...]

What he says, then you will be able to add a new skill set to your
list of home repairs that you have made.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
[...]

Look for drywall/sheetrock material that is equal or slightly less than the
thickness of the plaster on the lath. If it is slightly thinner you can
easily shim it out to the thickness of the plaster with thin wood, cardboard
(solid, not corrugated) or what have you. This will be easier than trying to
fill level with compound. Use compound to fill gaps around the drywall to
level it out to the plaster.

If you don't want to patch, you could remove ALL the plaster, and possibly
the late too, and replace with some 1/2 or 5/8 thick drywall board. This way
you get a smooth, solid surface without having to work with the rough edges
you will have on the plaster around the patch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

EXT wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
[...]

Hmmm,
Best teacher is learning by experience. I have a pair of plywood pieces
about the size of 2 ft. x 4 ft. in the attic. Whenever I need to go up
there(very seldom) I use them to support me between ceiling joists.
I have same kinda things on my tile roof to walk w/o damaging tiles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 12:21:24 -0500, "EXT"
wrote:

If you don't want to patch, you could remove ALL the plaster, and possibly
the late too, and replace with some 1/2 or 5/8 thick drywall board. This way
you get a smooth, solid surface without having to work with the rough edges
you will have on the plaster around the patch.

That's the best way.
Plaster ceilings don't take kindly to patching that kind of hole.
Even unbroken plaster ceilings often pull away and get wavy.
Once too many plaster keys get broken, they keep breaking.
Even trimming the edges will break or weaken keys on the unbroken
part.
And the shimming work to level the patch isn't easy.
For a large room, I would patch, and cross my fingers.
For a small bathroom, I would pull it all down and drywall.
I might trim for a patch first, then sound the remaining plaster to
make sure it's solidly attached before deciding.
Nah, I'd just pull it down.
Then after the taping the entire room would need painting.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Back when I was young and not too smart, I lived in a duplex. *I lived
downstairs and some friends (a young couple) lived upstairs. *I was
not exactly sober, when I decided to go in the attic to search for
treasures in this old building.

Well, somehow I missed the board I was walking on, and fell all the
way thru the ceiling, falling down into my friends bedroom, and
landing on top of their tv, which was turned on. *Worse yet, they were
in bed doing the unspeakable, when I came crashing thru the ceiling,
and destroying their bedroom tv set.

That too was a lath and plaster ceiling, and I took down about a 6x8
foot section of the ceiling. *My friends were covered with plaster and
so was their whole bedroom. *They had to stop their bed fun, and the
tv was smashed and emitting smoke. *I was cut up from the laths and
badly bruised. *Of course this was in the early 70's and this just
became an excuse to have a party, do some drinking, and other
substances.

Back in the 60's and 70's everyone was saying "Tune in, turn on, and
drop out". *Well, I did the opposite. *I dropped IN, turned OFF my
friends sex, and tuned OUT their tv reception......
However, this was not forgotten by my friends, who told other friends,
and everyone was laughing...... Hey, I just DROPPED IN
(literally).....

"I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in"....
(Words from a song of that era).

Yea, I had to fix the ceiling with sheetrock, (the landlord was
****ed), and replace my friends tv......

In summary, I learned to stay out of unfinished attics when I'm
intoxicated!!! *Another one of life's lessons.......- Hide quoted text -

Of course, learning not to get intoxicated might be an even better
lesson...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Among all the dust was there a wet spot?

Once again, just curious...

[...]

If it ain't broke why fix it? [email protected] Home Repair 3 July 19th 08 08:56 PM
Is my TS broke? RayV Woodworking 7 May 9th 06 02:49 AM
Chisels broke Tim Zimmerman Woodworking 4 March 8th 05 01:14 PM
Chisels broke Nick Huckaby Metalworking 21 March 7th 05 06:12 AM
DVD player broke xepa001 Electronics Repair 27 December 1st 03 10:56 AM