Posted to alt.home.repair

Default water inside the window + humidifier

i have 2 old windows upstair in my 1.5 house. they both old and i see
now water inside them (please see http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26/img0857wa.jpg

it is like when you put a glass of cold water outside in a humid day
in the summer. how can I fix that? i thought putting humidifier would
help but i also thought humidifier should only be used in summer time
not winter.

please advised and thanks for all of you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/2011 12:55 PM, leza wang wrote:
i have 2 old windows upstair in my 1.5 house. they both old and i see
now water inside them (please see http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26/img0857wa.jpg

it is like when you put a glass of cold water outside in a humid day
in the summer. how can I fix that? i thought putting humidifier would
help but i also thought humidifier should only be used in summer time
not winter.

please advised and thanks for all of you.

Looks like double paned window where seals have given way.
There are people that will reseal them for a relatively low price but
you might consider a new window.

You're thinking dehumidifier. Usually house humidity is low in winter
but you can still get condensation on cold surfaces.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"leza wang" wrote in message

i thought putting humidifier would
help but i also thought humidifier should only be used in summer time
not winter.

It depends on where you live (and the humidity levels you prefer.)
Central heating and open fires usually dry the air, and personal
comfort or expensive wood furniture may require a humidifier
to restore moisture to the indoor atmosphere.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/11 12:55 PM, leza wang wrote:
i have 2 old windows upstair in my 1.5 house. they both old and i see
now water inside them (please see http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26/img0857wa.jpg

it is like when you put a glass of cold water outside in a humid day
in the summer. how can I fix that? i thought putting humidifier would
help but i also thought humidifier should only be used in summer time
not winter.

please advised and thanks for all of you.

Mine do that sometimes. It happens when the temperature of the glass
gets down to the dew point of the air in the house.

In winter, a heat exchanger might be more practical than a dehumidifier.
Fogging is more likely when the glass is colder. I'm more likely to
get it if I close blinds and curtains, and in unheated rooms.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If its a double pane window replace the sealed unit. Its no expensive
in pittsburgh area you make appointment, take window and sah assembly
in AM and pick up in late afternoon.

much cheaper than a new window.

attempts to fix the seal are a grand waste of time

Posted to alt.home.repair

J Burns wrote:
On 12/25/11 12:55 PM, leza wang wrote:
i have 2 old windows upstair in my 1.5 house. they both old and i see
now water inside them (please see
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26/img0857wa.jpg

it is like when you put a glass of cold water outside in a humid day
in the summer. how can I fix that? i thought putting humidifier would
help but i also thought humidifier should only be used in summer time
not winter.

please advised and thanks for all of you.

Mine do that sometimes. It happens when the temperature of the glass
gets down to the dew point of the air in the house.

In winter, a heat exchanger might be more practical than a dehumidifier.
Fogging is more likely when the glass is colder. I'm more likely to get
it if I close blinds and curtains, and in unheated rooms.

Hmmm
If seal is in good order it wouldn't do it. If humidity is too high
inside it can do do it on inside facing glass. Think your window seal is
compromised. Maintaining proper humidity level inside is important
for health, energy saving, commfort.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 25, 1:02*pm, Frank wrote:
On 12/25/2011 12:55 PM, leza wang wrote:

i have 2 old windows upstair in my 1.5 house. they both old and i see
now water inside them (please seehttp://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26/img0857wa.jpg

it is like when you put a glass of cold water outside in a humid day
in the summer. how can I fix that? i thought putting humidifier would
help but i also thought humidifier should only be used in summer time
not winter.

please advised and thanks for all of you.

Looks like double paned window where seals have given way.
There are people that will reseal them for a relatively low price but
you might consider a new window.

You're thinking dehumidifier. *Usually house humidity is low in winter
but you can still get condensation on cold surfaces.

thanks for your reply, what is "seals" ? I tried to user google image
to just know how it looks like but I could not find. I have found this
good link but still not sure what is the seal? thanks

http://www.aboutdoubleglazing.co.uk/...ouble-glazing/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 25, 2:31*pm, bob haller wrote:
If its a double pane window replace the sealed unit. Its no expensive
in pittsburgh area you make appointment, take window and sah assembly
in AM and pick up in late afternoon.

much cheaper than a new window.

attempts to fix the seal are a grand waste of time

thanks for your reply, much appreciate it. what is seal?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 25, 3:51*pm, leza wang wrote:
On Dec 25, 2:31*pm, bob haller wrote:

If its a double pane window replace the sealed unit. Its no expensive
in pittsburgh area you make appointment, take window and sash assembly
in AM and pick up in late afternoon.

much cheaper than a new window.

attempts to fix the seal are a grand waste of time

thanks for your reply, much appreciate it. what is seal?

the seal is the seal between the 2 panes of glass.. its generally a
rubber like gasket material that usually keeps the outside air from
entering between the 2 panes of glass.

the seal doesnt last forever when air enters as barometric pressure
changes moisture enters too, and you get condensation on the inside of
the glass unit.

a local window repairman can come out disassemble the sash and measure
the sealed glass unit, then return with a new sealed unit.

on older windows the big hassle is getting the frame apart that
surrounds the sealed unit.

thats best left to experts to prevent frame breakage
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Dec 2011 13:33:18 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

[...]

Is the glass a single pane or a double pane of glass? If it is
single, use glazing putty around the edge of the glass. This will
prevent air infiltration from the outside.

Also check the outside trim and caulk around the trim. That window
has window weights, so air can leak around the pulley at the top.

Use an incense (smoke) stick to find the draft from inside.

The window may not be well insulated and air will enter there as well.

A trick to seal the pulley can be found in this short video -- using
foam pad.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,20051453,00.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/11 3:42 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

J Burns wrote:
[...]

Oh, I see. I took "inside them" to mean the surface facing the interior
of the house. A flower box would be outside a window and a candle inside.
Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote the following:
On Dec 25, 1:02 pm, Frank wrote:
[...]

The double panes have an airtight sealer around the edges of the panes.
If the seal fails, moist air can get between the panes causing the moist
air to get in. They should be resealed or replaced because they may turn
permanently milky colored all over the inside of the panes when it gets
warmer out.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 25, 1:02 pm, Frank wrote:
[...]

To email, remove the double zeroes after @- Hide quoted text -

i have seen double glazing panes fill with water and break in freezing
temperatures. not common but it can happen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 25, 4:33*pm, bob haller wrote:
On Dec 25, 3:51*pm, leza wang wrote:

On Dec 25, 2:31*pm, bob haller wrote:

If its a double pane window replace the sealed unit. Its no expensive
in pittsburgh area you make appointment, take window and sash assembly
in AM and pick up in late afternoon.

much cheaper than a new window.

attempts to fix the seal are a grand waste of time

thanks for your reply, much appreciate it. what is seal?

the seal is the seal between the 2 panes of glass.. its generally a
rubber like gasket material that usually keeps the outside air from
entering between the 2 panes of glass.

If it's what we think it is, then it's 2 panes of glass that
come together and function as a unit. The seal is what
keeps air and moisture from getting between the two
pieces of glass. Once that happens the solution almost
always is to replace the unit. Whether that can be done
by replacing part of the window or the whole thing depends.

As for humidity levels in the house, you want to keep
that to 40% max in winter which should be OK to about
30F outside or so. As it gets colder outside, you want
less humidity inside so you don't get condensation on
the inside surfaces of windows, recessed ceiling lights,
inside walls, etc.

the seal doesnt last forever when air enters as barometric pressure
changes moisture enters too, and you get condensation on the inside of
the glass unit.

a local window repairman can come out disassemble the sash and measure
the sealed glass unit, then return with a new sealed unit.

on older windows the big hassle is getting the frame apart that
surrounds the sealed unit.

thats best left to experts to prevent frame breakage

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/2011 3:50 PM, leza wang wrote:
On Dec 25, 1:02 pm, wrote:
[...]

Others have probably explained better than me. Looks like window has
been chalked in the past to try to reseal. Probably a waste of time to
DYI but maybe a professional can redo it. All of my windows in 35 year
old house eventually became like this and I replaced them all.
Expensive but now guaranteed for life. Made a huge difference in heat
retention in winter and also got the e glass to keep out suns heat rays
in summer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Many people use a humidifier in the winter, for personal comfort. So their
nose doesn't dry out, etc. Mine has a humidity level adjustment knob. If I
turn it up too high, I get the effect you show. I only run a humidifier in
the winter, it's not needed in the summer. See if you can turn your
humidifier down. Mine is a floor model, I have to add typically one to two
gallons of water per day to my humidifier. Using a humidifier is not going
to help remove water from the windows, it will only make it worse.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"leza wang" wrote in message
i have 2 old windows upstair in my 1.5 house. they both old and i see
now water inside them (please see
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26/img0857wa.jpg

it is like when you put a glass of cold water outside in a humid day
in the summer. how can I fix that? i thought putting humidifier would
help but i also thought humidifier should only be used in summer time
not winter.

please advised and thanks for all of you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 8:53*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Many people use a humidifier in the winter, for personal comfort. So their
nose doesn't dry out, etc. Mine has a humidity level adjustment knob. If I
turn it up too high, I get the effect you show. I only run a humidifier in
the winter, it's not needed in the summer. See if you can turn your
humidifier down. Mine is a floor model, I have to add typically one to two
gallons of water per day to my humidifier. Using a humidifier is not going
to help remove water from the windows, it will only make it worse.

--

Agree with the above if the water is on the inside surfaces of the
windows