Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do you put bones & meat into a compost pile ... or not?

I'm inclined to put anythign that doesn't go into the recycle bin into the
compost heap.

But I'm curious if animal bones (chicken, beef, etc.) and meat on the bones
would be a good idea or not.

On the one hand, they are organic and should decompose just as well as
fruits and vegetables would.

On the other hand, they may attract vermin.

What experience do you have with what you put into your compost heap?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/20/2011 1:14 PM, Chuck Banshee wrote:
I'm inclined to put anythign that doesn't go into the recycle bin into the
compost heap.

But I'm curious if animal bones (chicken, beef, etc.) and meat on the bones
would be a good idea or not.

On the one hand, they are organic and should decompose just as well as
fruits and vegetables would.

On the other hand, they may attract vermin.

What experience do you have with what you put into your compost heap?

The commercial composters put all kinds of dead animals on the bottom of
a compost heap and after 6 weeks they are gone. I remember reading most
of the larger road kills in and around cities go to composters, if they
are available.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 20, 8:24*pm, RobertPatrick wrote:

snip

Don't put any meat or grease on the compost pile. *Bones will take too long
to decompose.

In the case of dinosaur bones, millions of years ...G
OK so they are really petrified, not bony residue.

Joe