Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Drahn Paul Drahn is offline

Default Do you put bones & meat into a compost pile ... or not?

On 12/20/2011 1:14 PM, Chuck Banshee wrote:
I'm inclined to put anythign that doesn't go into the recycle bin into the
compost heap.

But I'm curious if animal bones (chicken, beef, etc.) and meat on the bones
would be a good idea or not.

On the one hand, they are organic and should decompose just as well as
fruits and vegetables would.

On the other hand, they may attract vermin.

What experience do you have with what you put into your compost heap?

The commercial composters put all kinds of dead animals on the bottom of
a compost heap and after 6 weeks they are gone. I remember reading most
of the larger road kills in and around cities go to composters, if they
are available.

Paul