Posted to alt.home.repair

Default R-19 in a 4 inch stud wall

Framing a small shop within my unheated shop. Small area will be heated to constant 50° to obviate rust on my machinery. Have lots and lots of R-19 left over from previous projects. Need to insulate 20 feet of 2x4 stud wall. I know you aren't supposed to 'cram' insulation. However, if I do cram in the R-19 will I have less benefit than R-13 would have provided?

Thanks for replies,
Ivan Vegvary
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 21, 9:51*am, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Framing a small shop within my unheated shop. *Small area will be heated to constant 50° to obviate rust on my machinery. *Have lots and lots of R-19 left over from previous projects. *Need to insulate 20 feet of 2x4 stud wall. *I know you aren't supposed to 'cram' insulation. *However, if I do cram in the R-19 will I have less benefit than R-13 would have provided?

Thanks for replies,
Ivan Vegvary

The theory is that when you compress fiberglass insulation you reduce
it's r factor because of increased condutivity. But I think you end
up with something around r13 so if you have it handy I'd use it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/21/2011 8:51 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Framing a small shop within my unheated shop. Small area will be

heated to constant 50° to obviate rust on my machinery. Have lots and
lots of R-19 left over from previous projects. Need to insulate 20 feet
of 2x4 stud wall. I know you aren't supposed to 'cram' insulation.
However, if I do cram in the R-19 will I have less benefit than R-13
would have provided?

http://www.owenscorning.com/around/insulation/CompressionChart.xls

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/21/2011 8:51 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote: Framing a small shop within my unheated shop. Small area will be

--

fiberglass peels apart pretty easy, so it can fit well
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Framing a small shop within my unheated shop. Small area will be heated
to constant 50° to obviate rust on my machinery. Have lots and lots of
R-19 left over from previous projects. Need to insulate 20 feet of 2x4
stud wall. I know you aren't supposed to 'cram' insulation. However, if
I do cram in the R-19 will I have less benefit than R-13 would have provided?

Thanks for replies,
Ivan Vegvary

You will get better noise reduction, and better fire proofing through the
wall.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

"if I only had a brain......" signed, the scare crow.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dpb" wrote in message
On 11/21/2011 12:52 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 06:51:56 -0800 (PST), Ivan Vegvary
wrote:

...lots of R-19 left over from previous projects. ...

Use foam panels....

What in the previous did not come thru?

Stud wall Andrew Gabriel UK diy 5 March 3rd 08 12:49 AM
Changing stud gear on a 16 inch South Bend Ted Metalworking 0 May 17th 06 02:37 AM
Stud Wall Nearly There! [email protected] UK diy 7 June 7th 05 01:44 PM
Basement framing advice - 16 vs 24 inch stud wall [email protected] Home Ownership 1 January 25th 05 08:21 PM
IKEA kitchen wall cabinet hanging on plaster wall without stud coder UK diy 12 November 4th 04 07:53 AM