Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fixing a keyless entry remote control

I have a 2005 Chrevrolet Impala with a keyless entry remote control.

When I tried to replace the battery, the battery clip came off.

On the bottom of the clip, there are 3 soldering points:
One is square and it's below the clip that holds the battery down
On one "arm" of the clip, there's a metal point that looks like it
went into the circuit board.
On the other "arm" of the clip, there was a matching metal point
but that pont is now missing.

How can I re-solder all three points to the circuit board?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 1:00*am, gcotterl wrote:
I have a 2005 Chrevrolet Impala with a keyless entry remote control.

When I tried to replace the battery, the battery clip came off.

On the bottom of the clip, there are 3 soldering points:
* * One is square and it's below the clip that holds the battery down
* * On one "arm" of the clip, there's a metal point that looks like it
went into the circuit board.
* * On the other "arm" of the clip, there was a matching metal point
but that pont is now missing.

How can I re-solder all three points to the circuit board?

I don't see how anyone is going to give an accurate answer
to this without at least a picture. But one tip is that you
probably only need electrical connectivity at two of the
points. The third is likely only there for mechanical
connection. And how you can or cannot solder it depends
on what you have left there to work with. You might also
consider epoxy for mechanical support after verifying
that you have electrical connections established.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 20, 12:00*am, gcotterl wrote:
I have a 2005 Chrevrolet Impala with a keyless entry remote control.

When I tried to replace the battery, the battery clip came off.

On the bottom of the clip, there are 3 soldering points:
* * One is square and it's below the clip that holds the battery down
* * On one "arm" of the clip, there's a metal point that looks like it
went into the circuit board.
* * On the other "arm" of the clip, there was a matching metal point
but that pont is now missing.

How can I re-solder all three points to the circuit board?

Try asking the question in an auto repair group. Your odds of success
will be better,

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 12:09:23 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:

On Nov 20, 12:00*am, gcotterl wrote:
I have a 2005 Chrevrolet Impala with a keyless entry remote control.

When I tried to replace the battery, the battery clip came off.

On the bottom of the clip, there are 3 soldering points:
* * One is square and it's below the clip that holds the battery down
* * On one "arm" of the clip, there's a metal point that looks like it
went into the circuit board.
* * On the other "arm" of the clip, there was a matching metal point
but that pont is now missing.

How can I re-solder all three points to the circuit board?

Try asking the question in an auto repair group. Your odds of success
will be better,

Or sci.electronics.repair A lot of car groups seem mostly
interested in adding lights and spoilers and lowering the car. Not
all, I'm sure, buit I haven't found the one he woudl need.

Pictures would help them too.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

gcotterl wrote:
I have a 2005 Chrevrolet Impala with a keyless entry remote control.

When I tried to replace the battery, the battery clip came off.

On the bottom of the clip, there are 3 soldering points:
One is square and it's below the clip that holds the battery down
On one "arm" of the clip, there's a metal point that looks like it
went into the circuit board.
On the other "arm" of the clip, there was a matching metal point
but that pont is now missing.

How can I re-solder all three points to the circuit board?

Hi,
1. Try to fix it, good luck on those tiny SMT circuit module.
2. Try to find replacement from eBay, Kijiji.
3. Get rid of it and have a long range robust after market
2 way remote with keyless entry, remote start, and even an alarm
system if you will keep the car a few more years.

I had to chuck the OEM remote on my new car and installed 2 way long
range after market one.(Viper brand) It is not impossible to install it
yourself. I did it myself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2011 8:46 PM, gcotterl wrote:
On Nov 20, 12:09 pm, wrote:
On Nov 20, 12:00 am, wrote:

I have a 2005 Chrevrolet Impala with a keyless entry remote control.

When I tried to replace the battery, the battery clip came off.

On the bottom of the clip, there are 3 soldering points:
One is square and it's below the clip that holds the battery down
On one "arm" of the clip, there's a metal point that looks like it
went into the circuit board.
On the other "arm" of the clip, there was a matching metal point
but that pont is now missing.

How can I re-solder all three points to the circuit board?

Try asking the question in an auto repair group. Your odds of success
will be better,

Joe

Fixed

Proper netiquette would be to tell us how you fixed it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 12:09 pm, wrote:
On Nov 20, 12:00 am, wrote:

I have a 2005 Chrevrolet Impala with a keyless entry remote control.

When I tried to replace the battery, the battery clip came off.

On the bottom of the clip, there are 3 soldering points:
One is square and it's below the clip that holds the battery down
On one "arm" of the clip, there's a metal point that looks like it
went into the circuit board.
On the other "arm" of the clip, there was a matching metal point
but that pont is now missing.

How can I re-solder all three points to the circuit board?

Try asking the question in an auto repair group. Your odds of success
will be better,

Joe

Fixed

Proper netiquette would be to tell us how you fixed it.- Hide quoted text -

I re-soldered all three points to the circuit board

Great! I had a feeling you could do it all along. :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 12:09 pm, * *wrote:
On Nov 20, 12:00 am, * *wrote:

I have a 2005 Chrevrolet Impala with a keyless entry remote control..

When I tried to replace the battery, the battery clip came off.

On the bottom of the clip, there are 3 soldering points:
* * * One is square and it's below the clip that holds the battery down
* * * On one "arm" of the clip, there's a metal point that looks like it
went into the circuit board.
* * * On the other "arm" of the clip, there was a matching metal point
but that pont is now missing.

How can I re-solder all three points to the circuit board?

Try asking the question in an auto repair group. Your odds of success
will be better,

Joe

Fixed

Proper netiquette would be to tell us how you fixed it.- Hide quoted text -

I *re-soldered all three points to the circuit board

Great! *I had a feeling you could do it all along. *:-)- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. It was fairly dicey to heat the metal enough to melt the
solder without melting the circut boad. The remote control now works
(!) even though there's a little "ball" of solder at each point --
there wasn't a lot of room to work in -- and the battery clip is
holding the battery securely in place.