Posted to alt.home.repair

Default City bans fake grass

Because of lead and cancer-causing ingredients. But only in front yards.

"[GLENDALE, Calif] The city of Glendale is imposing a ban on artificial
grass. Notices are going out to homeowners whose front yards are covered in
turf."

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/...ns-fake-grass/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 14:20:33 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

Because of lead and cancer-causing ingredients. But only in front yards.

"[GLENDALE, Calif] The city of Glendale is imposing a ban on artificial
grass. Notices are going out to homeowners whose front yards are covered in
turf."

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/...ns-fake-grass/

Right. You can't get cancer from eating turf in the back yard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 14:31:31 -0600, "
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 14:20:33 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

Because of lead and cancer-causing ingredients. But only in front yards.

"[GLENDALE, Calif] The city of Glendale is imposing a ban on artificial
grass. Notices are going out to homeowners whose front yards are covered in
turf."

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/...ns-fake-grass/

Right. You can't get cancer from eating turf in the back yard.

Yep. I like one commenter's reply about the elected officials.

"Because the residents of the world’s largest outdoor insane asylum
are also idiots."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 17, 2:20*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Because of lead and cancer-causing ingredients. But only in front yards.

"[GLENDALE, Calif] The city of Glendale is imposing a ban on artificial
grass. Notices are going out to homeowners whose front yards are covered in
turf."

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/...dale-bans-fake...

DAMN! All those idiots grazing on that fake grass and getting lead
poisioning and cancer have ruined it for the rest of us. Now we will
be force to polute the air and wake our neighbors up at 5am on
Saturday with our lawn mowers.

Stupid is as Stupid does and clearly Glendale is stupid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 14:20:33 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

Because of lead and cancer-causing ingredients. But only in front yards.

"[GLENDALE, Calif] The city of Glendale is imposing a ban on artificial
grass. Notices are going out to homeowners whose front yards are covered in
turf."

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/...ns-fake-grass/

Right. You can't get cancer from eating turf in the back yard.

Is that a question or are you stating a fact.
You can't get cancer from eating turf in the back yard?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 14:20:33 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

Because of lead and cancer-causing ingredients. But only in front yards..

"[GLENDALE, Calif] The city of Glendale is imposing a ban on artificial
grass. Notices are going out to homeowners whose front yards are covered in
turf."

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/...dale-bans-fake....

Right. *You can't get cancer from eating turf in the back yard.

Is that a question or are you stating a fact.
You can't get cancer from eating turf in the back yard?

Did you know that the word "gullible" isn't in the dictionary?
Posted to alt.home.repair

BobR wrote in
:

DAMN! All those idiots grazing on that fake grass and getting lead
poisioning and cancer have ruined it for the rest of us. Now we will
be force to polute the air and wake our neighbors up at 5am on
Saturday with our lawn mowers.

Stupid is as Stupid does and clearly Glendale is stupid.

Idiots. Everybody knows you SMOKE grass, not EAT it.

Just call yourself a Dutch-style "coffee" house, post a Prop 65 warning,
and you're good to go.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 16:06:16 -0500, joevan wrote:
Right. You can't get cancer from eating turf in the back yard.

Is that a question or are you stating a fact. You can't get cancer from
eating turf in the back yard?

Not if the back yard is in the shade. You need sunlight to bring the
cancer to the surface of the artificial fibers - without it the grass
just passes harmlessly through the digestive system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 14:20:33 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

Because of lead and cancer-causing ingredients. But only in front yards.

"[GLENDALE, Calif] The city of Glendale is imposing a ban on artificial
grass. Notices are going out to homeowners whose front yards are covered in
turf."

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/...dale-bans-fake...

Right. *You can't get cancer from eating turf in the back yard.

Is that a question or are you stating a fact.
You can't get cancer from eating turf in the back yard?

Did you know that the word "gullible" isn't in the dictionary?

Oh, I think it is. Let me check...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 14:20:33 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

Because of lead and cancer-causing ingredients. But only in front yards..

"[GLENDALE, Calif] The city of Glendale is imposing a ban on artificial
grass. Notices are going out to homeowners whose front yards are covered in
turf."

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/...dale-bans-fake....

Right. *You can't get cancer from eating turf in the back yard.

Yep. I like one commenter's reply about the elected officials.

"Because the residents of the world’s largest outdoor insane asylum
are also idiots."

You ever walk around barefoot on fake grass? It's way hotter than
real grass. Have you ever taken a sliding tackle on fake grass? You
get bad rug burn. UV eats plastic, even with UV stabilizers. The
advantage - the thinking - is the same one that over-leveraging
brought to the real estate market.

It's stupid to try to make every property look like Pebble Beach golf
course, and particularly in climates where the local conditions are
not conducive. It's a waste of money to water and fertilize it, and
it's even a bigger waste to cover a property in fake grass. It's just
more delayed pollution, and it's ****ing uphill.

Fake grass is intended for lazy people who've bought into some
mythical ideal of what a property should look like. You never see a
fat person pushing a reel mower around.

The stuff should be banned, and not just for the reasons that the
article cited.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

My neighbor pulled his grass, replaced it with rocks, pulled them out
and put in fake grass. (you had to be here to witness)

I removed my lawn turf, got a rebate from the water utility and filled
the yard with rocks. The other neighbor complained to me today that
dogs are ****tin in his manicured lawn sigh.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:

Fake grass is intended for lazy people who've bought into some
mythical ideal of what a property should look like. You never see a
fat person pushing a reel mower around.

The stuff should be banned, and not just for the reasons that the
article cited.

Okay, I'll play. Why should it be banned?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

***Four cheers!

Both the college and the high school playing fields have been
converted to this awful stuff. I haven't asked the relevant
departments why they did it, but I have a notion that it might be to
-- in their "minds" - to conserve water and low costs. Water is very
expensive in this basically desert area, even though it is a beach
city.
(See "Chinatown".

But the downsides of fake grass, as well outlined above by RicodJour,
should have outweighed the water factor, if the "minds" had sought
technical/professional advice on those very downsides.

Wonder if there was some crony contracting going on?

Now our kids are stuck with this )*&&^%$.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

R- Hide quoted text -

Typical lib. Ban everything you don't agree with and force
everyone to live the way you do. Here's a
clue, if you don't like artificial turn, don't buy it. And don't go
taking a sliding tackle on folks lawns that do have it. And
if it upsets you so much, then just stay the hell away from
homes owned by people who have it. Talk about, big govt
run amuck......
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Yes, for the ignoramus liberals who want to force their choices
on all of us.

Both the college and the high school playing fields have been
converted to this awful stuff. *I haven't asked the relevant
departments why they did it,

Of course not, why confuse yourself with the facts.
Facts like the Dallas Cowboys stadium uses it.

but I have a notion that it might be to
-- in their "minds" - to conserve water and low costs. *Water is very
expensive in this basically desert area, even though it is a beach
city.
(See "Chinatown".

But the downsides of fake grass, as well outlined above by RicodJour,

The fact that you think that was well outlined, speaks volumes.
His sole point was that if you take a sliding tackle on it, you're
gonna get rug burn. Of course, that's dismissed by the fact that
many athletic fields are using it and somehow I suspect they know
a lot more about it than you and Rico. And it's dismissed by the
fact that I suspect most people who choose to install it on their
front lawns are not playing tackle football on it.

Why is it that guys like you have such a problem with leaving
people free to make their own choices? I can tell you. It's
because you libs have a superiority complex, think that
only you know what is best for everyone else, and everyone
else is too stupid to make their own choices.

should have outweighed the water factor, if the "minds" had sought
technical/professional advice on those very downsides.

And above you admit you know nothing about the subject.

Wonder if there was some crony contracting going on?

Now our kids are stuck with this )*&&^%$.

HB- Hide quoted text -

How exactly are your kids stuck with a private homeowner
installing it on their lawn? Idiot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 12:09*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

Typical lib.

Do you have any good things to say about artificial grass?

In future you can simplify your replies and just write, "Typical lib"
for anyone you disagree with. It'll save ever so much time and there
will be no noticeable difference in the amount of thought you gave to
your response. ~

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Perhaps you should.

Have you ever seen a real grass field after a football, soccer or
similar activity has taken place during/after a soaking rain?

I have seen real grass fields destroyed in a matter of hours, with
thousands of dollars worth of maintenance required to fix them.

Besides the cost to repair the fields, there are often times when
games are cancelled either because the fields have already have been
damaged or games are cancelled *prior* to the fields being destroyed
because they are too wet.

I live in a school district with limited green space and late/wet
springs. The fields are used by both the District's athletic
department and the town's youth leagues. When one or more field is
either too wet or too damaged to be playable, it has a cascading
effect that can last months as schedules are rearranged. Taken to the
worst extremes, it can impact a student's chances for scholarships if
a season is not completed or not completed within the Sectional
guidelines. i.e. "That game was moved to a field that was not
certified by the Sectional committee, therefore the stats do not
count."

My son and daughter just participated in what was supposed to be a 2
day Ultimate tournament (essentially Frisbee football) at a local
university. Thousands of players from across the state. It rained for
a few days prior to the tournament and by the end of the first day
every soccer field and open grass area that had been used as an
Ultimate field was ankle deep in mud. Even though each team had paid
roughly $500 to help offset the cost of field maintenance, the
university cancelled the 2nd day of the tournament because of the
field conditions. I'll be surprised if any soccer games or practices
are played on any grass field at that college before next spring. The
only playable fields they have left are the few turf fields within the
stadiums.

We have been asking for turf fields at our High School for years and
we finally got them installed as part of a multi-million dollar
capital improvement project.

The one town-owned green space that has turf fields was filled with
young spoccer players last night, in weather conditions that prevented
them from playing/practicing on grass.

Perhaps that is why both the college and the high school playing
fields in your area have been converted to turf.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 4:40*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
RicodJour wrote:

Fake grass is intended for lazy people who've bought into some
mythical ideal of what a property should look like. *You never see a
fat person pushing a reel mower around.

The stuff should be banned, and not just for the reasons that the
article cited.

Okay, I'll play. Why should it be banned?

Seems to be the typical response of a lot of people these days, if I
don't like something nobody should like it and the government should
ban it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I didn't install it in my front yard even though my wife wanted me to
but I did install it in the backyard many years ago. I put it down as
the playgroud area in the backyard with a swing set, slide, and other
playground equipment for my daughter and the neighbor kids. They
LOVED it because they could play back there anytime even after heavy
rains without getting all muddy. Yes, it would sometimes get hotter
than regular grass but the kids had their own solution for that which
usually included the sprinkler. It was also put down over a sand and
newspaper base that was much softer than the regular turf base so a
lot less banged up heads and such. I eventually pulled it up when we
put in the pool. Installed it over the deck which proved to be both
safer since the deck was very slippery when wet and prolonged the life
of the deck surface.

Why is it that guys like you have such a problem with leaving
people free to make their own choices? *I can tell you. *It's
because you libs have a superiority complex, think that
only you know what is best for everyone else, and everyone
else is too stupid to make their own choices.

Which is really funny when you consider the fact that they want to
turn it over to a bunch of dumb burro-craps to run everything.

should have outweighed the water factor, if the "minds" had sought
technical/professional advice on those very downsides.

And above you admit you know nothing about the subject.

Wonder if there was some crony contracting going on?

Now our kids are stuck with this )*&&^%$.

HB- Hide quoted text -

How exactly are your kids stuck with a private homeowner
installing it on their lawn? * Idiot.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 11:59*am, wrote:
On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 09:20:07 -0800 (PST), RicodJour

wrote:
Do you have any good things to say about artificial grass?

It is a good solution for people who want their yard to look like
green carpet, put in green carpet.
There is less water use and less pollution from pesticides and
fertilizer.
A better option is a natural yard that does not require watering and
chemicals *but that is not what a lot of people want.
If they want carpet, let them have carpet. It is better than pumping a
million gallons of drinking water a year out in the yard.

The artificial turf can be a bit expensive for the initial
installation but compared to the never ending costs of real grass it
is both cheaper and more environmentally friendly. Consider that last
year I had to replace large sections of my lawn due to insect
problems. I fertilized and cared for it through last winter only to
have to replace more of it this spring. Early this summer it looked
great but that was only because I was watering the hell out of it
since we are in extreme drought conditions. Water restrictions are
now in effect and I had to drastically cut back on watering and watch
it start dying off yet again. That doesn't even consider the weekly
mowing, edging, and other upkeep.

The alternative, replace the entire thing with artificial turf and
save $150 month on water bills while not having to do anything more
than blow the leaves off in the fall. I have considered covering the
entire thing with bolders and rocks but talk about a real pain in the
ass, try getting the leaves out of that mess.

At my age, I am getting real tired of maintaining a yard and I will be
damned if I am going to hire a bunch of illegals to do it for me.

Artificial Turf is looking better by the minute.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 12:09*pm, "
wrote:
Typical lib. *Ban everything you don't agree with and force
everyone to live the way you do. * Here's a
clue, if you don't like artificial turn, don't buy it. *And don't go
taking a sliding tackle on folks lawns that do have it. *And
if it upsets you so much, then just stay the hell away from
homes owned by people who have it. * Talk about, big govt
run amuck......

Yup, until your next door neighbor puts turf in, and knocks $10,000
off the value of all the homes in the neighborhood... Then Mr "less
government" will be first in line at the next town board meeting with
a proposition to have turf banned.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 4:22*pm, wrote:
On Nov 18, 12:09*pm, "
wrote:

Typical lib. *Ban everything you don't agree with and force
everyone to live the way you do. * Here's a
clue, if you don't like artificial turn, don't buy it. *And don't go
taking a sliding tackle on folks lawns that do have it. *And
if it upsets you so much, then just stay the hell away from
homes owned by people who have it. * Talk about, big govt
run amuck......

Yup, until your next door neighbor puts turf in, and knocks $10,000
off the value of all the homes in the neighborhood... Then Mr "less
government" will be first in line at the next town board meeting with
a proposition to have turf banned.

In some neighborhoods putting turf in could raise the value by
$10,000...nearly doubling the price of the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 1:37*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 10:25:32 -0800 (PST), BobR

wrote:
[...]

I don't do anything with my lawn, what *grows, grows. When it is mowed
it still looks like a lawn.
The popular grass here for the people who really want that golf course
look is Floritam and it is a maintenance nightmare, requiring a couple
of inches of water a week and lots of chemicals. I see that when I do
the monthly water samples for the DEP. Not only are they pumping our
aquifer down to dangerous levels, we are also polluting the river with
nitrates and phosphorus, causing algae blooms and dead zones.-

Moved to my current home about 5 years ago and had grass to mow for
the first time in over 20 years. My prior home didn't have grass
because it wouldn't grow in 100% shade and our property was totally
covered in shade most of the time. I used a combination of natural
areas with ferns and selected plants along with a landscaped garden
area that included lots of bolders, rock, and walkways. Used very
little water except in the hotest and driest part of summer and then
didn't need nearly as much as for grass. What made it great was that
once established the only maintenance was done with a leaf blower
about once a month and took about 15 minutes. Little extra in spring
for new plants and some in late fall to clean out the leaves and move
some of the tropical plants to the greenhouse. It was done in such a
way that a little tree trash or leaves looked like it belonged. I
wish I could get away with that now but live in a neighborhood of all
lawns and nobody seems interested in changing. In our prior home a
lot of the neighbors had done something similar or followed our lead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Nov 18, 12:09 pm, "
wrote:
[...]

what other reasons than cited by the article should it be banned?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

lot of the neighbors had done something similar or followed our lead.- Hide quoted text -

Our neighborhood was all lawns a few years ago, now, without any
concerted coordination, many of us are expanding the non-lawn ares of
our property by planting large natural areas interspersed with regular
lawns. It looks just fine, easy to maintain, and saves $$ on water
bills.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 16:57:37 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

I live in a city with no zoning. If my neighbor wants to paint his house in
pink zebra stripes and erect an art project consisting of welded-together
scrap lawnmowers, he's free to do so.

He will be beaten, however.

We have zoning. If my neighbor pulled those pranks, the zoning
department employees get the beating. Locked in a padded cell and fed
Swill.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I live in a city with no zoning. If my neighbor wants to paint his house in
pink zebra stripes and erect an art project consisting of welded-together
scrap lawnmowers, he's free to do so.

He will be beaten, however.

We have zoning. If my neighbor pulled those pranks, the zoning
department employees get the beating. Locked in a padded cell and fed
Swill.

My favorite local zoning story goes back about 20 years or so. The old
line farmers beat back pretty much every attempt to start zoning out in
the county. They wanted to be able to sell their farms for whatever they
wanted to. Until one of them actually did. The remainders were at the
next county council meeting Demanding Action!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Nov 18, 12:09 pm, "
wrote:
Typical lib. Ban everything you don't agree with and force
everyone to live the way you do. Here's a
clue, if you don't like artificial turn, don't buy it. And don't go
taking a sliding tackle on folks lawns that do have it. And
if it upsets you so much, then just stay the hell away from
homes owned by people who have it. Talk about, big govt
run amuck......

Yup, until your next door neighbor puts turf in, and knocks $10,000
off the value of all the homes in the neighborhood... Then Mr "less
government" will be first in line at the next town board meeting with
a proposition to have turf banned.

Do you have any facts that doing so will bring down values?
crickets
didn't think so

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I live in a city with no zoning. If my neighbor wants to paint his
house in pink zebra stripes and erect an art project consisting of
welded-together scrap lawnmowers, he's free to do so.

He will be beaten, however.

We have zoning. If my neighbor pulled those pranks, the zoning
department employees get the beating. Locked in a padded cell and fed
Swill.

Unless they - and their betters - received sufficient graft to re-zone your
block for zebra-striped paint jobs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 18:31:11 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

We have zoning. If my neighbor pulled those pranks, the zoning
department employees get the beating. Locked in a padded cell and fed
Swill.

My favorite local zoning story goes back about 20 years or so. The old
line farmers beat back pretty much every attempt to start zoning out in
the county. They wanted to be able to sell their farms for whatever they
wanted to. Until one of them actually did. The remainders were at the
next county council meeting Demanding Action!

My favorite one is about my grandfather mid-late 50's. The local city
boundaries expanded. [Ft. Myers, FL]. He was in the county, the city
made him build an in-door bathroom ( advent of city water). He
pitched a fit, hard headed man he was. He did put in all the modern
plumbing and THEN told the city: " Make me hook it up to your water".

He did finally comply. It was for the children.

I know where I get my stubbornness...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 4:54*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

bills.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, I have started doing the same here by enlarging the beds and
reducing the grass. Had large area on the side next to driveway
(garage in back of house wih driveway down side. Replace all the
grass with landscape walks, bolders, and plantings. Looks a lot
better and reduced half of the mowing. Grass is highly over rated in
my opinion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 6:44*pm, "ChairMan" nospam@nospam wrote:
wrote in message

On Nov 18, 12:09 pm, "
wrote:

Typical lib. Ban everything you don't agree with and force
everyone to live the way you do. Here's a
clue, if you don't like artificial turn, don't buy it. And don't go
taking a sliding tackle on folks lawns that do have it. And
if it upsets you so much, then just stay the hell away from
homes owned by people who have it. Talk about, big govt
run amuck......

Yup, until your next door neighbor puts turf in, and knocks $10,000
off the value of all the homes in the neighborhood... Then Mr "less
government" will be first in line at the next town board meeting with
a proposition to have turf banned.

In most cases that perceived decrease in home values is just that,
perceived rather than actual, besides even with zoning restrictions
there is no guarantee of retaining the value on the home. I looked at
some homes with such strict restrictions that I wouldn't even consider
buying the house.

Do you have any facts that doing so will bring down values?
crickets
didn't think so

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 10:08*pm, BobR wrote:

In most cases that perceived decrease in home values is just that,
perceived rather than actual, besides even with zoning restrictions
there is no guarantee of retaining the value on the home. *I looked at
some homes with such strict restrictions that I wouldn't even consider
buying the house.

The perceived value of a home is the value of the home. It's not
etched in stone, and local mores have a lot to do with it. In some
areas vinyl siding is considered a benefit and will increase the value
of the house, and in other areas it will decrease it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 12:20*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 18, 12:09*pm, "
wrote:

[...]

You don't have to mow it. How's that?
I know that some athletic fields here use it and the people who
use them, unlike you are not bitching. And I know that
some professional athletic teams play on it. I think they likely
know a lot more about it than you do. Also, see the posts
from others here with first hand experience in athletuc fileds and
home lawns.

In future you can simplify your replies and just write, "Typical lib"
for anyone you disagree with. *It'll save ever so much time and there
will be no noticeable difference in the amount of thought you gave to
your response. *~

I reserve "typical lib" for cases when the behavior is typical
of libs. This is a CLASSIC example. You want to outlaw a
person using artificial turf on their OWN private home lawn because
YOU don't happen to like it. Hence it's obvious you have the classic
liberal need to expand the reach of government and
force people to behave the way YOU happen to think they should.
Even in areas that have no effect or bearing on you. Exactly how
does it affect you if I choose to use artificial turn on my lawn?

Like all liberals, you think you're smarter than the rest of us who
are just too stupid to live our lives as we want. That comes
across in the scorn you heap on someone who dares to use
artificial turf. You think you know what is
best for all of us and that you should force your ways on us by taking
away one more freedom. In this case, it's the freedom for a person
put artificial turf on their lawn if they so choose.

That is indeed typical liberal behavior.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It's for the children. Or the homeless. Or the Wymen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 9:20*am, RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 18, 12:09*pm, "
wrote:

[...]

Whadday mean "no noticeable difference in the amount of thought..."
How can one quantify a negative?

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Uh, there are just as many negative numbers as there are positive ones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 10:33*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 18, 10:08*pm, BobR wrote:

In most cases that perceived decrease in home values is just that,
perceived rather than actual, besides even with zoning restrictions
there is no guarantee of retaining the value on the home. *I looked at
some homes with such strict restrictions that I wouldn't even consider
buying the house.

The perceived value of a home is the value of the home. *It's not
etched in stone, and local mores have a lot to do with it. *In some
areas vinyl siding is considered a benefit and will increase the value
of the house, and in other areas it will decrease it.

Excuse my wording, apparently I didn't make myself too clear. When I
said perceived decrease I should have said feared decrease that
doesn't usually materialize.