Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default City bans fake grass

On Nov 18, 11:07*am, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Nov 17, 8:14*pm, RicodJour wrote:

On Nov 17, 3:45*pm, Oren wrote:

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 14:31:31 -0600, "

wrote:
On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 14:20:33 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

Because of lead and cancer-causing ingredients. But only in front yards.

"[GLENDALE, Calif] The city of Glendale is imposing a ban on artificial
grass. Notices are going out to homeowners whose front yards are covered in
turf."

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/...dale-bans-fake...

Right. *You can't get cancer from eating turf in the back yard.

Yep. I like one commenter's reply about the elected officials.

"Because the residents of the world’s largest outdoor insane asylum
are also idiots."

You ever walk around barefoot on fake grass? *It's way hotter than
real grass. *Have you ever taken a sliding tackle on fake grass? *You
get bad rug burn. *UV eats plastic, even with UV stabilizers. *The
advantage - the thinking - is the same one that over-leveraging
brought to the real estate market.

It's stupid to try to make every property look like Pebble Beach golf
course, and particularly in climates where the local conditions are
not conducive. *It's a waste of money to water and fertilize it, and
it's even a bigger waste to cover a property in fake grass. *It's just
more delayed pollution, and it's ****ing uphill.

Fake grass is intended for lazy people who've bought into some
mythical ideal of what a property should look like. *You never see a
fat person pushing a reel mower around.

The stuff should be banned, and not just for the reasons that the
article cited.

***Four cheers!

Both the college and the high school playing fields have been
converted to this awful stuff. *I haven't asked the relevant
departments why they did it, but I have a notion that it might be to
-- in their "minds" - to conserve water and low costs. *Water is very
expensive in this basically desert area, even though it is a beach
city.
(See "Chinatown".

But the downsides of fake grass, as well outlined above by RicodJour,
should have outweighed the water factor, if the "minds" had sought
technical/professional advice on those very downsides.

Wonder if there was some crony contracting going on?

Now our kids are stuck with this )*&&^%$.

HB- Hide quoted text -

"I haven't asked the relevant departments why they did it"

Perhaps you should.

Have you ever seen a real grass field after a football, soccer or
similar activity has taken place during/after a soaking rain?

I have seen real grass fields destroyed in a matter of hours, with
thousands of dollars worth of maintenance required to fix them.

Besides the cost to repair the fields, there are often times when
games are cancelled either because the fields have already have been
damaged or games are cancelled *prior* to the fields being destroyed
because they are too wet.

I live in a school district with limited green space and late/wet
springs. The fields are used by both the District's athletic
department and the town's youth leagues. When one or more field is
either too wet or too damaged to be playable, it has a cascading
effect that can last months as schedules are rearranged. Taken to the
worst extremes, it can impact a student's chances for scholarships if
a season is not completed or not completed within the Sectional
guidelines. i.e. "That game was moved to a field that was not
certified by the Sectional committee, therefore the stats do not
count."

My son and daughter just participated in what was supposed to be a 2
day Ultimate tournament (essentially Frisbee football) at a local
university. Thousands of players from across the state. It rained for
a few days prior to the tournament and by the end of the first day
every soccer field and open grass area that had been used as an
Ultimate field was ankle deep in mud. Even though each team had paid
roughly $500 to help offset the cost of field maintenance, the
university cancelled the 2nd day of the tournament because of the
field conditions. I'll be surprised if any soccer games or practices
are played on any grass field at that college before next spring. The
only playable fields they have left are the few turf fields within the
stadiums.

We have been asking for turf fields at our High School for years and
we finally got them installed as part of a multi-million dollar
capital improvement project.

The one town-owned green space that has turf fields was filled with
young spoccer players last night, in weather conditions that prevented
them from playing/practicing on grass.

Perhaps that is why both the college and the high school playing
fields in your area have been converted to turf.