Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Light bulb, thy doom is near!

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 23:29:56 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 20:25:54 -0600, "
wrote:

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 21:17:21 -0500,
wrote:

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 20:14:38 -0500, Moe Gasser
wrote:

On 11/23/2011 8:15 AM, Kyle wrote:
On Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:43:29 AM UTC-5, harry wrote:
How is Americans have to be hauled kicking and whinging into the
present?

Prosecution Exhibit 1 that we haven't: our refusal to adopt the Metric system.

Most professionals do use the metric system...because it's better.

I have a tape measure with both on it. I use one or the other,
depending on what I am doing.

If you are dividing a given distance into equal parts, metric beats
the hell out of the english system.
You also find out pretty fast that 1/2" plywood is really 12mm so you
are forced into metric.

Except that it's 48" x 96". ;-)

I bet if you really measured it closely it would be 122x244 (cm)
This stuff is probably made in Canada or China

When you have to go to three decimal places, when one will do, it the
measurement isn't in the primary system.

Forced into metric? No, 15/32" is good enough. The thickness isn't precise
anyhow, so anything critical has to be hand-fit.

You find out in a hurry when you try to fit it into a dado cut with a
1/2" router bit.

So? A 15/32" router bit will be just as close as a 12mm. Yes, I have 15/32"
router bits (and 23/32"). Anyting tighter will have to be tweaked anyhow.
That's why they make shims for dado blades.

I had to buy some metric router bits to work with this stuff.

Nah, just buy a 15/32" bit and be done with it.

It is notable that cabinet grade plywood, MDF and particle board is
still "American" sizes.
Of course the other argument is that they just switched to metric to
cheat you out of a little wood (or whiskey).

;-)

The only argument I have for going Metric is that my Festools are Metric. A
PITA, since all my other tools are Imperial. Other than that, Imperial units
work out jut fine for any precision I'm likely to use in wood. My computer
(and Sketchup ;-) can deal with Imperial units easily enough. ;-)