Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Brick straps?

Here in Oklahoma we had the largest earthquake in our
recorded history last week. Compared to California it
didn't amount to much, but there was some damage. On
some homes the brick facing came down. It took me
a while to realize that when I saw pictures of those
homes I didn't see any signs of brick straps to hold
the brick up. Am I just missing them, or have they
quit using brick straps? I never even thought
about it before, but in the back of my mind I have
just always understood that brick straps would
always be used with brick facing.

If anybody doesn't know what I am talking about
brick straps are metal straps that are fastened to
the structure of a house at one end. The other
end is mortared in between the bricks to keep the
bricks against the wall.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 9:05*am, Bill Gill wrote:
Here in Oklahoma we had the largest earthquake in our
recorded history last week. *Compared to California it
didn't amount to much, but there was some damage. *On
some homes the brick facing came down. *It took me
a while to realize that when I saw pictures of those
homes I didn't see any signs of brick straps to hold
the brick up. *Am I just missing them, or have they
quit using brick straps? *I never even thought
about it before, but in the back of my mind I have
just always understood that brick straps would
always be used with brick facing.

If anybody doesn't know what I am talking about
brick straps are metal straps that are fastened to
the structure of a house at one end. *The other
end is mortared in between the bricks to keep the
bricks against the wall.

Bill

On a brick veneer you should always use wall ties of some kind. There
are several types. Earthquakes are hard to prepare for and wall ties
can only do so much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 8:16*am, " wrote:
[...]

can only do so much.- Hide quoted text -

I think/guess the OP meant what was the building code????
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 9:05*am, Bill Gill wrote:

Here in Oklahoma we had the largest earthquake in our
recorded history last week. *Compared to California it
didn't amount to much, but there was some damage. *On
some homes the brick facing came down. *It took me
a while to realize that when I saw pictures of those
homes I didn't see any signs of brick straps to hold
the brick up. *Am I just missing them, or have they
quit using brick straps? *I never even thought
about it before, but in the back of my mind I have
just always understood that brick straps would
always be used with brick facing.

That is correct - they always should be used and Code requires them.
From the NY version of the IRC:
§RR607.3 Installation of wall ties. The installation of wall ties
shall
be as follows:
1. The ends of wall ties shall be embedded in mortar joints. Wall
tie
ends shall engage outer face shells of hollow units by at least
1/2
inch (12.7 mm). Wire wall ties shall be embedded at least 1-1/2
inches (38 mm) into the mortar bed of solid masonry units or
solid
grouted hollow units.
2. Wall ties shall not be bent after being embedded in grout or
mortar.

The straps don't totally eliminate brick problems from earthquakes,
settlement and freezing/thawing, but they certainly go a long way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill Gill wrote in :

Here in Oklahoma we had the largest earthquake in our
recorded history last week. Compared to California it
didn't amount to much, but there was some damage. On
some homes the brick facing came down. It took me
a while to realize that when I saw pictures of those
homes I didn't see any signs of brick straps to hold
the brick up. Am I just missing them, or have they
quit using brick straps?

Since the straps are mortared into the bricks but only nailed to the frame,
possibly they just pulled out of the frame and fell down with the bricks.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 2:05*pm, Bill Gill wrote:
Here in Oklahoma we had the largest earthquake in our
recorded history last week. *Compared to California it
didn't amount to much, but there was some damage. *On
some homes the brick facing came down. *It took me
a while to realize that when I saw pictures of those
homes I didn't see any signs of brick straps to hold
the brick up. *Am I just missing them, or have they
quit using brick straps? *I never even thought
about it before, but in the back of my mind I have
just always understood that brick straps would
always be used with brick facing.

If anybody doesn't know what I am talking about
brick straps are metal straps that are fastened to
the structure of a house at one end. *The other
end is mortared in between the bricks to keep the
bricks against the wall.

Bill

One of the benifits of fracking,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fracking#Earthquakes
Has frracking been carried out near on near you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2011 10:45 AM, harry wrote:
On Nov 14, 2:05 pm, Bill wrote:
[...]

They are doing fracking here in Oklahoma, but not
particularly near the epicenter of this quake. The
Oklahoma geophysical unit, whatever they call it,
says this was definitely the slippage of a fairly
deep fault. The fault has been know for a long
time and we have occasional quakes, just not as
many as we have had the past 2 years, and not
as strong as this one.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 2:05 pm, Bill *wrote:
[...]

Bill- Hide quoted text -

They drill miles out horizontally from the vertical borehole.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 15, 3:34*am, harry wrote:
On Nov 14, 5:46*pm, Bill Gill wrote:

They are doing fracking here in Oklahoma, but not
particularly near the epicenter of this quake. *The
Oklahoma geophysical unit, whatever they call it,
says this was definitely the slippage of a fairly
deep fault. *The fault has been know for a long
time and we have occasional quakes, just not as
many as we have had the past 2 years, and not
as strong as this one.

They drill miles out horizontally from the vertical borehole.

As does your logic when you're reaching, you borehole. ~

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 15, 1:54*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 15, 3:34*am, harry wrote:

On Nov 14, 5:46*pm, Bill Gill wrote:

They are doing fracking here in Oklahoma, but not
particularly near the epicenter of this quake. *The
Oklahoma geophysical unit, whatever they call it,
says this was definitely the slippage of a fairly
deep fault. *The fault has been know for a long
time and we have occasional quakes, just not as
many as we have had the past 2 years, and not
as strong as this one.

They drill miles out horizontally from the vertical borehole.

As does your logic when you're reaching, you borehole. *~

Not one of your strong points.

herringbone straps instead of noggins Chris Styles UK diy 38 October 17th 16 09:50 PM
Furniture safety straps? Gareth[_2_] UK diy 7 March 15th 09 04:03 PM
Sheet straps metspitzer Home Repair 3 February 2nd 09 04:28 AM
Grounding straps on water meters tomkanpa Home Repair 24 October 12th 05 04:39 AM
No water heater straps in barry martin Home Repair 0 December 12th 04 03:32 AM