Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Furniture safety straps?

This is a really stupid question demonstrating (no doubt) limited
intelligence but how are you supposed to install a child safety furniture
strap (to anchor a cupboard to a wall)?

The free straps that come with some cupboards are about 5 inches long - if
you screw one end in to the cupboard there is not enough room to get a
screwdriver in between the cupboard and the wall to screw the other end in!

Are there any alternatives available? I can't seem to find anything for the
UK but there are plenty of devices it seems available for sale in the US?

Gareth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gareth wrote:
This is a really stupid question demonstrating (no doubt) limited
intelligence but how are you supposed to install a child safety
furniture strap (to anchor a cupboard to a wall)?

The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.

I agree about the strap. Throw it away & use a bracket
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11013/...5mm-Pack-of-10

This also has the advantage that it locks the cupboard 'square' & makes
adjusting doors much easier.

Can't be seen if above eye level e.g top of wardrobe. If it will be seen,
mark the wall at the top of the cupboard, move it aside & fit the bracket
upside down IYSWIM.

The free straps that come with some cupboards are about 5 inches long - if
you screw one end in to the cupboard there is not enough room to get a
screwdriver in between the cupboard and the wall to screw the other end
in!

As you say, they can't be fited that way, so as to be invisible. If you
don't want a bracket showing, drill trough the back of the cupboard & screw
to wall.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gareth wrote:
This is a really stupid question demonstrating (no doubt) limited
intelligence but how are you supposed to install a child safety
furniture strap (to anchor a cupboard to a wall)?

The free straps that come with some cupboards are about 5 inches long
- if you screw one end in to the cupboard there is not enough room to
get a screwdriver in between the cupboard and the wall to screw the
other end in!

The ones I have seen, you screw to the wall FIRST, then poke the stap
through to the inside of the cupboard, then screw to inside!

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Toby wrote:
Gareth wrote:
This is a really stupid question demonstrating (no doubt) limited
intelligence but how are you supposed to install a child safety
furniture strap (to anchor a cupboard to a wall)?

The free straps that come with some cupboards are about 5 inches long
- if you screw one end in to the cupboard there is not enough room to
get a screwdriver in between the cupboard and the wall to screw the
other end in!

The ones I have seen, you screw to the wall FIRST, then poke the stap
through to the inside of the cupboard, then screw to inside!

Can you recall which make of cupboard? Never seen that in any instructions,
nor a slot built in, but its an excellent idea.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gareth coughed up some electrons that declared:

This is a really stupid question demonstrating (no doubt) limited
intelligence but how are you supposed to install a child safety furniture
strap (to anchor a cupboard to a wall)?

The free straps that come with some cupboards are about 5 inches long - if
you screw one end in to the cupboard there is not enough room to get a
screwdriver in between the cupboard and the wall to screw the other end
in!

Are there any alternatives available? I can't seem to find anything for
the UK but there are plenty of devices it seems available for sale in the
US?

Gareth.

What I've done, for furntiure I might want to move occasionally, is to put
a eye hook in the wall, another on the back of the furniture then connect
them with a screw shackle..

This presumes that you have 2-3 cm of clearance behind the furniture.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Toby wrote:
Gareth wrote:
This is a really stupid question demonstrating (no doubt) limited
intelligence but how are you supposed to install a child safety
furniture strap (to anchor a cupboard to a wall)?

The free straps that come with some cupboards are about 5 inches
long - if you screw one end in to the cupboard there is not enough
room to get a screwdriver in between the cupboard and the wall to
screw the other end in!

The ones I have seen, you screw to the wall FIRST, then poke the stap
through to the inside of the cupboard, then screw to inside!

Can you recall which make of cupboard? Never seen that in any
instructions, nor a slot built in, but its an excellent idea.

I think it was an Ikea wardrobe, but sorry I cant be sure, as I don't build
flatpack quite on the scale you do!

Whatever, I am sure you can make somthing, and just cut a small slot in the
back of the hardboard back for customers that may want it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Toby
writes
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Toby wrote:
Gareth wrote:
This is a really stupid question demonstrating (no doubt) limited
intelligence but how are you supposed to install a child safety
furniture strap (to anchor a cupboard to a wall)?

The free straps that come with some cupboards are about 5 inches
long - if you screw one end in to the cupboard there is not enough
room to get a screwdriver in between the cupboard and the wall to
screw the other end in!

The ones I have seen, you screw to the wall FIRST, then poke the stap
through to the inside of the cupboard, then screw to inside!

Can you recall which make of cupboard? Never seen that in any
instructions, nor a slot built in, but its an excellent idea.

I think it was an Ikea wardrobe, but sorry I cant be sure, as I don't
build flatpack quite on the scale you do!

I've got some Ikea Billy bookcases here, the one nearest me has such a
small slot/cut out in the underside of the top to slip the strap
through, so you can screw it to the underside of the top
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

The ones I have seen, you screw to the wall FIRST, then poke the stap
through to the inside of the cupboard, then screw to inside!

Can you recall which make of cupboard? Never seen that in any instructions,
nor a slot built in, but its an excellent idea.

Most IKEA cupboards and wardrobes do this, both for straps and brackets.

Daniele
--
Wanted: TEAC A-2300SX, Akai GX-4000D

herringbone straps instead of noggins Chris Styles UK diy 38 October 17th 16 09:50 PM
Sheet straps metspitzer Home Repair 3 February 2nd 09 04:28 AM
what happened to metal cable straps? Chris UK diy 2 December 23rd 06 12:53 PM
Grounding straps on water meters tomkanpa Home Repair 24 October 12th 05 04:39 AM
No water heater straps in barry martin Home Repair 0 December 12th 04 03:32 AM