Posted to alt.home.repair

Default WEll & Pump System: Where to put the Filter?

I want to add a sediment filter to my system. Bought one at Lowes.
Now, question is, do I install it BEFORE or AFTER the pressure tank?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hoosierpopi wrote:
I want to add a sediment filter to my system. Bought one at Lowes.
Now, question is, do I install it BEFORE or AFTER the pressure tank?

Do you want your pressure tank filling up with sediment?
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
Hoosierpopi wrote:
I want to add a sediment filter to my system. Bought one at Lowes.
Now, question is, do I install it BEFORE or AFTER the pressure tank?

Do you want your pressure tank filling up with sediment?

Hmmm,
No brainer for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/9/2011 11:29 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

mike wrote:
Hoosierpopi wrote:
I want to add a sediment filter to my system. Bought one at Lowes.
Now, question is, do I install it BEFORE or AFTER the pressure tank?

Do you want your pressure tank filling up with sediment?

Hmmm,
No brainer for me.

Would make sense to me too but mine is past the pressure tank. Have had
no problems.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message
Hoosierpopi wrote:
I want to add a sediment filter to my system. Bought one at Lowes.
Now, question is, do I install it BEFORE or AFTER the pressure tank?

Do you want your pressure tank filling up with sediment?

That would only be true if your pressure tank was in it's side
If it was upright, it would get flushed every time the contents decreased.

I installed an Cross connector to my (vertical) pressure tank, and made that
the lowest point in the water system
Below it I installed a length of pipe with a valve at the end
Whenever the system stops, the pressure tank is loaded.
The sediment then floats down past the Cross into the "dead" pipe"
IN the fall, I open that valve to drain the system
The trapped sediment goes with it.
Then the filter, beside and higher than the tank, is drained and
replaced

The only reason that the garden hose outlet is not used is for lack of
vertical space at the wellhead box , which force the tank to be at the same
height as the pump.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 8:57*am, "Attila.Iskander"
wrote:
"mike" wrote in message

Thanks. Good response - on point.

Mine, and most of the pressure tanks I can recall seeing is.are
mounted vertically (makes sense, no?) with the "t" fitting mentioned.
The extension piece you added is the same approach I took with my Air
Compressor drain fitting and shop air pipes. In that instance we were
collecting condensate in the pipes below the outlets to the tools/
relief valve, respectively.

Frankly, I had not thought of the sediment issue at all. But, as you
point out, there was no need to vis-a-vis my question.

Thanks again.

Do you want your pressure tank filling up with sediment?

That would only be true if your pressure tank was in it's side
If it was upright, it would get flushed every time the contents decreased..

I installed an Cross connector to my (vertical) pressure tank, and made that
the lowest point in the water system
Below it I installed a length of pipe with a valve at the end
Whenever the system stops, the pressure tank is loaded.
The sediment then floats down past the Cross into the "dead" pipe"
IN the fall, I open that valve to drain the system
* * The trapped sediment goes with it.
* * Then the filter, beside and higher than the tank, is drained and
replaced

The only reason that the garden hose outlet is not used is for lack of
vertical space at the wellhead box , which force the tank to be at the same
height as the pump.

Best Heat Pump Air Filter [email protected] Home Repair 0 November 20th 06 01:59 AM
Pool filter/pump? Dee5 Home Repair 0 June 16th 06 11:53 PM
Pool filter/pump? Dee5 Home Repair 0 June 16th 06 11:53 PM
Filter pump ran dry - need replacement Mike Hartigan Home Repair 13 July 2nd 05 08:40 PM