Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Vinyl tile source?

I want to cover a portion of my shop (woodworking section) in vinyl tile. I have tried epoxy coatings and other materials in other parts, but for this application I want vinyl tiles.

Went to HD and Lowes and they have very attractive prices (low as $ 0.23 per tile (sq. ft.) BUT all their selections have a textured surface. They do have one type of 'smooth' tile but it is 3 times thicker than what I want and four times the price. I'm looking for the tile that you see walking in to any old school hallway, hospital etc. etc. Using tiles will allow me to replace damaged ones as needed. Called "Color Tile" and they stopped carrying any 'tile'. For what I am trying to, they say, "everybody uses vinyl sheet", same thickness etc.

Any recommended sources for 'SMOOTH' tile would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ivan Vegvary
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 6:34*pm, wrote:
I want to cover a portion of my shop (woodworking section) in vinyl tile. *I have tried epoxy coatings and other materials in other parts, but for this application I want vinyl tiles.

Went to HD and Lowes and they have very attractive prices (low as $ 0.23 per tile (sq. ft.) BUT all their selections have a textured surface. *They do have one type of 'smooth' tile but it is 3 times thicker than what I want and four times the price. *I'm looking for the tile that you see walking in to any old school hallway, hospital etc. etc. *Using tiles will allow me to replace damaged ones as needed. *Called "Color Tile" and they stopped carrying any 'tile'. *For what I am trying to, they say, "everybody uses vinyl sheet", same thickness etc.

Any recommended sources for 'SMOOTH' tile would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ivan Vegvary

I have gotten stick-on floor vinyl squares at those stores.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have gotten stick-on floor vinyl squares at those stores.

yes, you have, but they are all textured and not smooth. The only smooth ones they carry are thick and expensive. I have nothing against thick, but don't feel like paying 4 times the price of the thin textured tiles.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 11:07*pm, wrote:
I have gotten stick-on floor vinyl squares at those stores.

yes, you have, but they are all textured and not smooth. *The only smooth ones they carry are thick and expensive. *I have nothing against thick, but don't feel like paying 4 times the price of the thin textured tiles.

Ivan Vegvary

I don't know where the OP is, but around here, nyc area, there
are lots of stores that sell carpet, tile and flooring. I'd call
up some of them and ask what smooth vinyl tile they have.
Should not be hard to find, as folks are surely still putting
in floors like the checkerboard black and white type in
some applications. Also, online is a possibility.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I want to cover a portion of my shop (woodworking section) in vinyl tile. I
have tried epoxy coatings and other materials in other parts, but for this
application I want vinyl tiles.

Went to HD and Lowes and they have very attractive prices (low as $ 0.23 per
tile (sq. ft.) BUT all their selections have a textured surface. They do
have one type of 'smooth' tile but it is 3 times thicker than what I want
and four times the price. I'm looking for the tile that you see walking in
to any old school hallway, hospital etc. etc. Using tiles will allow me to
replace damaged ones as needed. Called "Color Tile" and they stopped
carrying any 'tile'. For what I am trying to, they say, "everybody uses
vinyl sheet", same thickness etc.

Any recommended sources for 'SMOOTH' tile would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ivan Vegvary

Search the Lowes website. If your store does not stock it, they will ship
it to the store from the DC.

Commercial grade vinyl tile 1/8" thick, $31 for a box of 45. The color goes
all the way through the tile. Over a proper surface it will outlive you.

a.. Search: "12" vinyl tile (140 products)

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/9/2011 11:07 PM, wrote:

I have gotten stick-on floor vinyl squares at those stores.

yes, you have, but they are all textured and not smooth. The only smooth ones they carry are thick and expensive.

I have nothing against thick, but don't feel like paying 4 times the
price of the thin textured tiles.

Ivan Vegvary

Having just bought 11 boxes of tiles for my basement shop (they are
still in their boxes), here's what I found. You can, not that I would
want to, get ceramic tile cheaper (made in China?) than vinyl (but so is
the cheap tile, made in China). You can even get laminate for less than
vinyl. On a side note, I covered my workbench surfaces with laminate
flooring. The stuff is really tough, although if you are doing real
heavy work or pounding, it might chip. It looks like this:
https://picasaweb.google.com/actodes...36780488913794
I'm very happy with the workbench surface. If you go with a commercial
vinyl, it will be pricey, over $1 and even much higher, but you can get
a smooth surface. So we bought a self stick tile with a little texture.
There are fake grout lines, but they are no more detented than the
surface of the fake stone. It was from Lowe's and was $0.39 per tile.
I'll probably kick myself for not trying the laminate. I did also buy
some sealer for the concrete, which seems to be recommended when using
self stick tiles on bare concrete. I also bought some crack sealer to
fill the cracks .... why can't they pour concrete that doesn't crack.
This floor is only 2 1/2 years old and there are several cracks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 7:34*pm, wrote:
I want to cover a portion of my shop (woodworking section) in vinyl tile. *I have tried epoxy coatings and other materials in other parts, but for this application I want vinyl tiles.

Went to HD and Lowes and they have very attractive prices (low as $ 0.23 per tile (sq. ft.) BUT all their selections have a textured surface. *They do have one type of 'smooth' tile but it is 3 times thicker than what I want and four times the price. *I'm looking for the tile that you see walking in to any old school hallway, hospital etc. etc. *Using tiles will allow me to replace damaged ones as needed. *Called "Color Tile" and they stopped carrying any 'tile'. *For what I am trying to, they say, "everybody uses vinyl sheet", same thickness etc.

Any recommended sources for 'SMOOTH' tile would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ivan Vegvary

Ivan:

You need to find the local commercial building materials supplier in
your area as what you are seeking is not something that HD/Lowe's
would normally stock in many colors or varieties...

VCT (Vinyl Composition Tile) is still widely used in commercial
building applications but most construction companies doing such
projects don't purchase building supplies from consumer retail outlet
showrooms like "Color Tile"...

As other respondents here have mentioned the "real thing" is thicker
than you would imagine and has the colorings all the way through the
tile... I personally would be leery of installing thinner vinyl goods
which might only have the coloring/design printed on the top most
layers which when worn through will show the bottom uncolored
layers...

~~ Evan

Tile over vinyl shel Home Repair 6 July 8th 06 01:46 PM
Vinyl tile over vinyl tile Platebanger Home Repair 4 November 26th 05 07:01 PM
Vinyl tile over sheet vinyl residue? Donald Gares Home Repair 1 July 5th 05 05:50 PM
Vinyl tile over cement Unrevealed Source Home Repair 0 May 6th 05 03:08 AM
Vinyl edge banding source Paul Proefrock Woodworking 3 February 14th 05 08:52 PM