Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Behr Paint

Purchased Behr paint for bathroom and bedroom. Bath done, looks fine.
Painter came in for an estimate for the bedroom and sneered at Behr
paint saying painters did not think it of good quality in spite of
Consumer Reports. Any informed opinions?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pointer wrote in :

Purchased Behr paint for bathroom and bedroom. Bath done, looks fine.
Painter came in for an estimate for the bedroom and sneered at Behr
paint saying painters did not think it of good quality in spite of
Consumer Reports. Any informed opinions?

I've used Behr paints for years, and never had any issues to speak of. The
stuff seems to go on easily and last well. It stands up nicely to the
repeated cleaning that's necessary when you have kids in the house.

What did your painter say WAS of good quality?

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/7/2011 8:41 AM, Tegger wrote:
wrote in :

Purchased Behr paint for bathroom and bedroom. Bath done, looks fine.
Painter came in for an estimate for the bedroom and sneered at Behr
paint saying painters did not think it of good quality in spite of
Consumer Reports. Any informed opinions?

I've used Behr paints for years, and never had any issues to speak of. The
stuff seems to go on easily and last well. It stands up nicely to the
repeated cleaning that's necessary when you have kids in the house.

What did your painter say WAS of good quality?

He suggested Sherman Williams which I've used often and have never had a
problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/7/2011 7:32 AM, Pointer wrote:
Purchased Behr paint for bathroom and bedroom. Bath done, looks fine.
Painter came in for an estimate for the bedroom and sneered at Behr
paint saying painters did not think it of good quality in spite of
Consumer Reports. Any informed opinions?

Used about 80 gal primer and topcoat (each) on the old barn...went on
well, covered well and has held up (10 yr so far). AFAICT it's as good
as the equivalently priced (and their best isn't much, if any, cheaper
than the S-W or others of similar price/quality point). Only reason
went w/ it was this is small market and the S-W folks didn't want to
give any break on pricing to individual while the Borg did. Normally
wouldn't make the trip (65 mi one-way) but had other reasons to be there
and they did ship direct as well so was a couple-$K less overall which
worth the hassle...

Not used their interiors; I'm happy w/ the Glidden Spred for interior
use which is the "house brand" the local DoItBest stocks. It also isn't
much less but some...

S-W's 40-yr was used on the church by the professional painting
contractor after the major hailstorm 6-7 years ago. It has also held up
for the most part; some places are showing but probably again more that
on such large areas of old buildings it's impossible to get every square
inch _completely_ prepared. I've no doubt the other similarly-priced
paints w/ the same preparation would have performed about the same.

IMO, the whole thing has to be a comparison of similar products in
similar environment on same preparation level. Generally the
comparisons aren't so good about whether the products compared are
really comparable.

I've seen Consumer Reports comparisons that included the high-priced
spread in comparisons w/ the WalMart S-W made that is generally a third
or so less. When looking one finds the amounts of pigment and the
higher-costing materials in them are where the difference is. Of
course, there may not be any truly equivalents on the WalMart shelves to
compare to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pointer wrote in
:

On 11/7/2011 8:41 AM, Tegger wrote:

What did your painter say WAS of good quality?

He suggested Sherman Williams which I've used often and have never had
a problem.

Sherwin Williams sells quite a lot more paint to the trade than to the
consumer market, so maybe he's just used to S-W. Or maybe he uses so much
paint that he's got the experience to see differences that would be too
tiny for a home-user to identify.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 08:32:32 -0500, Pointer
wrote:

Purchased Behr paint for bathroom and bedroom. Bath done, looks fine.
Painter came in for an estimate for the bedroom and sneered at Behr
paint saying painters did not think it of good quality in spite of
Consumer Reports. Any informed opinions?

Thanks.

I've used Behr paint for about 16 years. Interior of numerous homes
and exterior on stucco.

I've never had a problem with it failing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tegger wrote:
Pointer wrote in
:

On 11/7/2011 8:41 AM, Tegger wrote:

What did your painter say WAS of good quality?

He suggested Sherman Williams which I've used often and have never
had a problem.

Sherwin Williams sells quite a lot more paint to the trade than to the
consumer market, so maybe he's just used to S-W. Or maybe he uses so
much paint that he's got the experience to see differences that would
be too tiny for a home-user to identify.

That's probably the correct answer. I doubt there's 2% difference between
the major brands of paint at the same price points.

I usually go with the manufacturer that has the best looking paint chicks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 7, 12:31*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Tegger wrote:
Pointer wrote in
:

On 11/7/2011 8:41 AM, Tegger wrote:

What did your painter say WAS of good quality?

He suggested Sherman Williams which I've used often and have never
had a problem.

Sherwin Williams sells quite a lot more paint to the trade than to the
consumer market, so maybe he's just used to S-W. Or maybe he uses so
much paint that he's got the experience to see differences that would
be too tiny for a home-user to identify.

That's probably the correct answer. I doubt there's 2% difference between
the major brands of paint at the same price points.

I usually go with the manufacturer that has the best looking paint chicks..

***Chicks?

My local Benjamin Moore dealer just has plain old paint CHIPS. Also,
they do not have those electronic paint analyzers that have been
discussed recently.
I did find one at a large local homeowners/lumber yard/garden place.
But the paint dept guy said you have to hold a paint chip in front of
it. So that shoots down
my idea of bringing in a picture whose mat I want to match.

Speaking of BM, do they, in your opinion, fit into the 2% difference
you mention above?

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote in
:

.

***Chicks?

My local Benjamin Moore dealer just has plain old paint CHIPS.

How dull. I prefer the chicks. Assuming they're human and female, of
course, and young and pretty and have hot bods, and...I'd better shut up
now before the wife catches me typing this...

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote in
:

My local Benjamin Moore dealer just has plain old paint CHIPS. Also,
they do not have those electronic paint analyzers that have been
discussed recently.
I did find one at a large local homeowners/lumber yard/garden place.
But the paint dept guy said you have to hold a paint chip in front of
it.

I've always wondered about that. Why can't they put the sensor on a hand-
held gun like the bar-code scanner they use at the grocery store?

We have such a thing in my industry. Its called the Capsure, and it's even
cordless.
http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone/category.aspx?ca=7

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tegger wrote in
:

Pointer wrote in
:

Purchased Behr paint for bathroom and bedroom. Bath done, looks
fine. Painter came in for an estimate for the bedroom and sneered at
Behr paint saying painters did not think it of good quality in spite
of Consumer Reports. Any informed opinions?

I've used Behr paints for years, and never had any issues to speak of.
The stuff seems to go on easily and last well. It stands up nicely to
the repeated cleaning that's necessary when you have kids in the
house.

What did your painter say WAS of good quality?

The brand where the painter gets his commercial discount of course!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 14:51:39 -0800 (PST), Higgs Boson
wrote:

My local Benjamin Moore dealer just has plain old paint CHIPS. Also,
they do not have those electronic paint analyzers that have been
discussed recently.
I did find one at a large local homeowners/lumber yard/garden place.
But the paint dept guy said you have to hold a paint chip in front of
it. So that shoots down
my idea of bringing in a picture whose mat I want to match.

Keep trying. The one at my paint dealer would work with the picture
mat.

Speaking of BM, do they, in your opinion, fit into the 2% difference
you mention above?

I like BM paint, but there are others that will do the job also. I've
used Sherwin Williams, Pittsburgh and a couple of others with about
equal results. I just avoid the really cheap stuff and it is not
cheap after four coats to cover.

Never used Behr so I can't comment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pointer" wrote in message
Purchased Behr paint for bathroom and bedroom. Bath done, looks fine.
Painter came in for an estimate for the bedroom and sneered at Behr paint
saying painters did not think it of good quality in spite of Consumer
Reports. Any informed opinions?

I used the Behr exterior paint and it was the worst stuff ever. It was
watery, didn't cover well, and started flaking and chipping in less than a
year, even though it was "lifetime guaranteed". Never, ever again. Re-did
the job with Valspar and it went on like a dream. Two years in and it still
looks great.

Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote:
"Pointer" wrote in message
Purchased Behr paint for bathroom and bedroom. Bath done, looks
fine. Painter came in for an estimate for the bedroom and sneered at
Behr paint saying painters did not think it of good quality in spite
of Consumer Reports. Any informed opinions?

I used the Behr exterior paint and it was the worst stuff ever. It was
watery, didn't cover well, and started flaking and chipping in less
than a year, even though it was "lifetime guaranteed". Never, ever
again. Re-did the job with Valspar and it went on like a dream. Two
years in and it still looks great.

Did you stir the paint before you applied it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My local Benjamin Moore dealer just has plain old paint CHIPS. Also,
they do not have those electronic paint analyzers that have been
discussed recently.
I did find one at a large local homeowners/lumber yard/garden place.
But the paint dept guy said you have to hold a paint chip in front of
it. So that shoots down
my idea of bringing in a picture whose mat I want to match.

Keep trying. The one at my paint dealer would work with the picture
mat.

Speaking of BM, do they, in your opinion, fit into the 2% difference
you mention above?

I like BM paint, but there are others that will do the job also. I've
used Sherwin Williams, Pittsburgh and a couple of others with about
equal results. I just avoid the really cheap stuff and it is not
cheap after four coats to cover.

Good paint is much easier to apply, too. Painting is a lot of work and time.
Trying to save a few dollars is pointless.

Never used Behr so I can't comment.

I'll probably try it soon but I like BM too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 7, 4:38*pm, Tegger wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote :

My local Benjamin Moore dealer just has plain old paint CHIPS. *Also,
they do not have those electronic paint analyzers that have been
discussed recently.
I did find one at a large local homeowners/lumber yard/garden place.
But the paint dept guy said you have to hold a paint chip in front of
it.

I've always wondered about that. Why can't they put the sensor on a hand-
held gun like the bar-code scanner they use at the grocery store?

We have such a thing in my industry. Its called the Capsure, and it's even
cordless.
http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone/category.aspx?ca=7

--
Tegger

***Would make too much sense! Of course the sensor could be designed
as you indicate. BTW, what industry are you in, if OK to ask?

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 00:27:29 -0500, "h"
wrote:

"Pointer" wrote in message
Purchased Behr paint for bathroom and bedroom. Bath done, looks fine.
Painter came in for an estimate for the bedroom and sneered at Behr paint
saying painters did not think it of good quality in spite of Consumer
Reports. Any informed opinions?

I used the Behr exterior paint and it was the worst stuff ever. It was
watery, didn't cover well, and started flaking and chipping in less than a
year, even though it was "lifetime guaranteed". Never, ever again. Re-did
the job with Valspar and it went on like a dream. Two years in and it still
looks great.

I should hope so. If exterior paint doesn't last a minimum of 5 to 8
years either the paint or the preparation or both were SORELY lacking.