Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Small engine (Tecumseh) question

I ahve a Sears lawn Vacuum non-self propelled - about 8 years old.
It is a Tecumseh 4.5 HP 4 cycle engine. I use it frequently during the
spring and summer for blowing debris off the lawn. You can remove the
bag, and connect a chute for blowing. It has been working fine this
fall.

This afternoon, I got it out of the arage, fueled it (fresh gas).
pushed the primer 5-7 times (as always), set the throttle to choke, and
pulled the rope. It started and I usually wait about 20 seconds and
then set the throttle to the rabbit (operate position), then do leaves.

Today. before the wait period was up, the engine quit. I started it
again and the same thing happened. The third time, after it started
and before it quit, I pushed the primer bulb just as it began to stop,
and it began too run, but then started to stop. Repeated pushing of
the primer bulb would keep it going, but once I no longer pushed the
primer bulb, it would stop. This happened in choke position or rabbit
position, although it may not have had a chance to warm up.

I don't think it's a fuel problem, as I have used it 5 times over the
past two weeks, and it always started and ran. My use sessions usually
take a whole tank of gas - it just runs out of gas and I use that as a
que to quit. I looked at the plug and it's dry and looks normal.

I'm not a small engine expert - Ionly do oil changes, and routine
maintenance, so am asking for some direction as to what next to try.

Thanks for any and all replies.

John

Small engine repair question Hustlin' Hank Home Repair 7 January 4th 09 04:25 PM
Tecumseh LEV 80 Engine Ardamerr UK diy 5 February 13th 08 05:29 PM
Which small Engine is Better - Briggs / Tecumseh? [email protected] Home Repair 17 August 8th 06 03:53 AM
Tecumseh 7 HP Snowblower Engine: Fuel Pump Question, Please Robert11 Home Repair 1 November 2nd 05 05:56 PM
Small Engine Governor Question Chris Lewis Home Repair 10 May 30th 05 02:50 PM