Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Which small Engine is Better - Briggs / Tecumseh?

Which small Engine is Better - Briggs or Tecumseh?

If you mow a city lawn and do it every few days this probably wont
even affect you. But I own a farm and mow heavy grass. Sometimes
it's a foot tall. Having had numerous push mowers, I have decided
that the Tecumseh engines are much better. When I was younger, it
seemed that every mower had a Briggs engine. Then I started to run
across mowers with Tecumseh engines. The last Tecumseh mower I had
was a 3HP model. That mower just went thru everything and rarely ever
stopped. Even when the blade was dull, it still kept going. I
finally destroyed it when I ran over some metal and bent the
crankshaft so badly the blade chopped the frame to shreads (because I
kept going). I just got another mower with a crappy Briggs engine.
Also a 3HP. Once again I got a mower that dies constantly, dont have
the guts to get thru even the lightest weeds, and takes me ten times
as long to mow. Considering both engines are 3HP, and the frames are
identical (meaning no powered wheels, etc), I will say the Tecumseh
has 3 times the power of the Briggs engine. And just for the record,
this new Briggs mower has less usage than that Tecumseh one had.
I already know that this POS will be going to the next auction. I
just cant stand these weak Briggs engines with no power and no guts.

Which do you prefer, and why?

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Which small Engine is Better - Briggs or Tecumseh?

That's like asking which is better, chevy or ford.

[...]

You are aware that Brigs (and probablyi Tecumseh also) build different
grades? Buy a cheap mower, you will get a cheap engine. If you really
want a good engine you will have to buy a better grade mower.

One with a Honda will outperform your Tecumseh or Briggs but it will
cost you. It will also still be running after the world ends. My
oldest one is over 25 years old and still starts first pull every
time...well I did have to pull 3 or 4 times last spring first time out
of the shed. All I have replaced is the sparkplug (once), clutch cable
(once) and drive wheel tires twice.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree. Just take care of it properly. I have found that 10W30 Mobil
1 synthetic oil is a great lubricant for air cooled engines. It doesn't
break down due to heat like conventional oils.

Harry K wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:

One with a Honda will outperform your Tecumseh or Briggs but it will
cost you. It will also still be running after the world ends. My
oldest one is over 25 years old ...

The worlds going to end in 25 years? Yikes! *sets doomsday clock*

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Harry K wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Be aware that Honda has brought out some lower priced engines recently,
which skimp on some of the features to cut costs. Of course, knowing
Honda, they will probably still be superior to anything near the price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

z wrote:
Harry K wrote:

Be aware that Honda has brought out some lower priced engines recently,
which skimp on some of the features to cut costs. Of course, knowing
Honda, they will probably still be superior to anything near the price.

The new OHV Briggs engines are just outstanding.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Barr wrote:
z wrote:
Harry K wrote:

Be aware that Honda has brought out some lower priced engines recently,
which skimp on some of the features to cut costs. Of course, knowing
Honda, they will probably still be superior to anything near the price.

The new OHV Briggs engines are just outstanding.

I don't have a cite for it but my understanding is that that those
engines are actually Japanese, either imported or built under license.
Kawasaki I think.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
[...]

I have a 27 year old Tecumseh in my riding mower that's only had oil, plugs
and filter cleaning. Have a 3.5HP Tecumseh in the shed that outlasted the
chassis it came in. The 4HP B&S Quantum that replaced it doesn't seem to
have any more power than the 3.5HP .All of them were made before mulching
mowers became popular. A mower with a blade for mulching might not discharge
well or so I've heard.
Did you get the first mower off Honda's assembly line?grin My only
experience with Honda mowers is my friends. His threw a rod through the
crankcase last year, just out of warranty. I convinced him to take it back
to Sears and see if they would make it right. They told him it was still
under warranty and gave him a new one. Don't know if he didn't know when the
warranty was up or if they gave an extended warranty because of a known
defect or something else. Just pointing out they all can have problems. I
have an ST1100 and love it other than the, $30 each, proprietary headlight
bulbs.
YMMV

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 23:00:58 GMT, "JohnR66" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

NO
I dont work for Tecumseh. In fact I am retired but do small scale
farming because I enjoy it. But being a farmer, requires powerful
equipment. Practically anything can mow a city lawn that gets mowed
every week or more. I am just looking for opinions from others. I
can honestly say that the mower I have now is a royal pain in the ass.
It's got a Briggs 3HP, and it kills every few minutes on grass that's
8 to 10 inches tall. Yet, my 3HP Tecumseh mower would take down grass
that was 3 feet tall, and even chop off 1 inch thick burdock stalks.
It hardly ever killed. I spent nearly 3 hours yesterday mowing a 50
ft. piece of lawn with 8 to 10" grass, and must have restarted the
thing nearly 50 times. With that old mower, I would have done the job
in 20 minutes and restarted probably 3 times at most. I just got this
Briggs engine mower last week, actually it was given to me, but I left
it with a relative. I absolutely hate the thing. When I mow, I want
to mow, blast thru whatever needs to be taken down, and get the job
done, not baby the thing, and have to keep restarting even if I do go
as slow as I can. I know what works and what ****es me off. This
mower I have now is a "**** off". In fact I just went out to look for
another mower, and one with a Tecumseh engine. I have more important
things to do than **** around with a mower that dont want to cut the
lawn. This is probably the worst mower I ever had, but I have never
owned a mower with a Briggs eng. that had enough power for my needs.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 01:42:46 -0500, wrote:

[...]

I restore old (60s and 70s) garden tractors. Most have Kohler or
Tecumseh engines; a few B&S. They all have peculiarities. Ignition
modules, valve seats, balance gears. I prefer Kohlers.

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--
Posted to alt.home.repair

T Shadow wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message

snip

[...]

As to the "first off the assembly line. Nope. I tried once a few
years ago to figure out just when I did buy it. I bought it on
recommendation from my neighbor who had seen one and had a Honda
tiller. Purchase was in early or mid 80s but I can't come closer than
that. So I may be wrong, it could only be 20 yoa. Then when I was
coming up on retirement about 10 years ago I figured it would be nice
to have a mower that would last through my 'fixed income' years and
bought another one. That one is still in the shed as this one just
won't quit. Smokes like a fiend when first fired up but then clears
up. Of course both mowers and the tiller I also have smoked at start
up from new. Dealer says 'nature of the beast' but can't give an
explanation other than a few drops of oil leaking past valve stems.
Since none of the burn oil I don't undersand it.

Harry K

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

newer mowers have been regulated by the feds, design of discharge hole,
limit blade tip speed etc.

now all these make mowers safer but can adversely effect mower
operation.

heck new mowers have carb adjustements permanetely plugged so you cant
easily raiue engine speed.

this is why really old mowers were 2 or 3 horsepower and newer ones 5
or 6 hp and often dont work as well as old ones.

our federal governmment at work......

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:

Robert Barr wrote:
z wrote:
Harry K wrote:

Be aware that Honda has brought out some lower priced engines recently,
which skimp on some of the features to cut costs. Of course, knowing
Honda, they will probably still be superior to anything near the price.

The new OHV Briggs engines are just outstanding.

I don't have a cite for it but my understanding is that that those
engines are actually Japanese, either imported or built under license.
Kawasaki I think.

Harry K

Japanese engines certainly are good. The engines on my Shindaiwa chain
saw and trimmer certainly kick butt and require little attention.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You don't mention the ages of the engines in question, but it seems at
some point over the years that engine horsepower numbers went the way of
compressor horsepower numbers i.e. grossly inflated.

I have a quite old Deere 110 riding mower with a Kohler 10HP engine that
from every objective comparison I can make seems to have more power than
the new mowers with "18HP" engines.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

newer mowers have been regulated by the feds, design of discharge hole,
limit blade tip speed etc.

now all these make mowers safer but can adversely effect mower
operation.

heck new mowers have carb adjustements permanetely plugged so you cant
easily raiue engine speed.

this is why really old mowers were 2 or 3 horsepower and newer ones 5
or 6 hp and often dont work as well as old ones.

our federal governmment at work......

If you buy from the professional lines of equipment you bypass much of
the asinine "safety" nonsense. Of course you can also modify the
consumer units to fix the flaws if you're so inclined. I had to modify a
snow blower that was downright dangerous with the "safety" junk. The
"safety" clutch design made it impossible to have proper control of the
machine to change direction quickly to get out of the road if a car was
coming or to back up when you found the low stone wall.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 03:25:43 GMT, "Pete C."

[...]

Both mowers are from the mid to late 1990's. The Teumseh I was able
to date to 97 or 98. The other one I could not date, but he bought
that one shortly before. I wonder if he found it tough to use too,
and is why he bought the other one...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Rich256 wrote:
I agree. Just take care of it properly. I have found that 10W30 Mobil
1 synthetic oil is a great lubricant for air cooled engines. It doesn't
break down due to heat like conventional oils.

BEST ADVICE...

I do this too. It's very cheap insurance, small engine parts &
replacement engines are disproportionately expensive.

Larger HP engines - Tecumseh Snow-Kings & up into The Briggs V-Twins
seem to really thrive on synthetic oil.

Rob