Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default 17mm socket on a 10mm bolt?

On Oct 31, 9:22*pm, aemeijers wrote:
On 10/31/2011 10:08 PM, wrote:

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 20:45:29 -0400,
wrote:

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 18:32:08 -0400, Doug Miller
*wrote:

On 10/31/2011 4:56 PM, micky wrote:
I finally bought the trailer hitch for my Solara and it came with
* *M10 -1.25 x 30mm bolts. * So how come I need to use the 17mm socket
on a 10mm bolt?

SAE bolts aren't this confused.

What, do you think that a 1/2" diameter SAE bolt has a head with flats
that are 1/2" across?

No, but I think it takes a 1/2" wrench.

* Nope. Guess again. A 5/16 bolt uses a 1/2 inch wrench. A 3/8" bolt
takes a 9/16" wrench. A 7/16 bolt takes a 5/8" wrench, and a 1/2 inch
bolt takes an 11/16 inch wrench. 9/16 uses 3/4, just off the top of my
head.

The issue with METRIC is there are several "standards" Japanese (JAS?)
standard uses 10mm on 6mm bolts, 12mm on 8, and 14mm on 10 and 17mm on
10
American Metric uses 11mm on 6, 13mm on 8, 15mm on 10 and 18? on 10.

* European stuff can be either, from what I remember.(ISO)

Bzzzzzzzt. Thanks for playing, though.

So how come my damn tin shed uses nuts and bolts that take an 11/32"
wrench? Which NONE of my several sets of sockets or nutdrivers or box
wrenches includes, and nobody in town sells onesies in oddball sizes?
(except maybe Sears, who wants an arm and a leg for onesies, to make up
for their deep-discount sets.)

--
aem sends...

Some of the SAE sized hardware from China is being manufactured from
metric hex stock in the case of nuts: I have some 1/4-20 nuts with 10
mm flats. Normally these would be 7/16" or 11 mm. The plating is
pretty good, though. And they were quite low priced.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Standard size nut for #8-32 machine screw nut. Part of any decent
1/4" drive socket set or nutdriver set. Or you can always use a 4"
crescent wrench. Or like a friend of mine does - he drives them with
his little electric dril - 3 jaw chucks work great on hex nuts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't get how someone can't understand that why an M10 bolt doesn't use a 10mm wrench!!!
Did you ever saw a bolt that had a same size head as the shaft??? Ex:1/2" bolt (shaft) with a 1/2" head! Man I think you need to stop turning wrenches before you kill someone!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 31, 2011 5:35:43 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
You're being conditioned to accept the new world order,

which will be kinged by the Antichrist. Who will bring death

and desruction and horror, plagues, and famines.

Glad you asked?

--

Christopher A. Young

Learn more about Jesus

www.lds.org

.

"micky" wrote in message

Maybe you're right. Maybe I didnt' notice because SAE bolts

are the

right kind of bolts, and not these alien bolts they sent me

today.

Why can't they protect our border better?

Thanks.

A foot has 12 inches; Jesus had 12 disciples.

The Beast in Revelations has 10 horns; the metric system is based on 10.

Seems pretty obvious to me.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2014 8:54 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Monday, October 31, 2011 5:35:43 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
You're being conditioned to accept the new world order,
which will be kinged by the Antichrist. Who will bring death
and desruction and horror, plagues, and famines.

Glad you asked?

A foot has 12 inches; Jesus had 12 disciples.

The Beast in Revelations has 10 horns; the metric system is based on 10.

Seems pretty obvious to me.

Paul

Makes more sense than anything I've heard
recently. Good one.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 21:05:20 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 3/6/2014 8:54 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Monday, October 31, 2011 5:35:43 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

What's going on. I actually started this thread in October of 2011, like
it says, when I got a 2000 Solara and was putting on a trailer hitch,
and it was about sizes, and eventually you said this

And now Paul's replying to it and you and I are still on the newsgroup.

Pluse there are two other new posts in this 30 month old thread.

You're being conditioned to accept the new world order,
which will be kinged by the Antichrist. Who will bring death
and desruction and horror, plagues, and famines.

Glad you asked?

A foot has 12 inches; Jesus had 12 disciples.

The Beast in Revelations has 10 horns; the metric system is based on 10.

Seems pretty obvious to me.

Paul

Makes more sense than anything I've heard
recently. Good one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/06/2014 08:04 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Jut got home from driving on the parkway.

Did you park in the driveway?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/06/2014 07:54 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

A foot has 12 inches; Jesus had 12 disciples.

Which makes perfect sense, as long as the disciples are inches and
that's the only kind of inches there are.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'm also not sure why the old posts pop up
again. Some things are too good to let die
a peaceful death?

Why do you center post?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/2014 2:18 AM, hah wrote:
On 03/06/2014 08:04 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Jut got home from driving on the parkway.

Did you park in the driveway?

Have to be a foot away from the road,
or I get toed.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/2014 1:22 AM, sam E wrote:
On 03/06/2014 07:54 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

A foot has 12 inches; Jesus had 12 disciples.

Which makes perfect sense, as long as the disciples are inches and
that's the only kind of inches there are.

What if they all had twelve inches?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2014 9:04 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Jut got home from driving on the parkway.

Did you park in the driveway?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/2014 1:27 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/6/2014 9:04 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Jut got home from driving on the parkway.

Did you park in the driveway?

Nah, he's moored at the carport.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/2014 3:42 PM, Steve F. wrote:
On 3/7/2014 1:27 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/6/2014 9:04 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Jut got home from driving on the parkway.

Did you park in the driveway?

Nah, he's moored at the carport.

I'm in line at the pier.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I post each of my sentences after the sentence I'm replying to. So
readers know what I'm talking about (if possible).

Would you go to a debate where one guy asked 30 questions in 15 minutes
and then the other guy got up and gave 30 answers: like, "No, Yes, No,
That's impossible, Maybe, No, Twice, Yes...................."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Mar 2014 16:19:51 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 3/7/2014 3:42 PM, Steve F. wrote:
On 3/7/2014 1:27 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/6/2014 9:04 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Jut got home from driving on the parkway.

Did you park in the driveway?

Nah, he's moored at the carport.

I'm in line at the pier.

Don't forget to flush when you are done, and don't drip on the
floor!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/2014 4:26 PM, micky wrote:

Why do you center post?

I post each of my sentences after the sentence I'm replying to. So
readers know what I'm talking about (if possible).

Would you go to a debate where one guy asked 30 questions in 15 minutes
and then the other guy got up and gave 30 answers: like, "No, Yes, No,
That's impossible, Maybe, No, Twice, Yes...................."

I've heard (read) that called "inline" posting. I've
learned to either break with my initials, or in case of
one reply, delete the trailing text.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Mar 2014 00:07:10 -0500, micky
wrote:

Pluse there are two other new posts in this 30 month old thread.

Some times, answers take a long time.
--
Definition of a camel: A horse designed by a committee

Posted to alt.home.repair

Micky,

Why do you center post?

I post each of my sentences after the sentence I'm replying to.
So readers know what I'm talking about (if possible).
Would you go to a debate where one guy asked 30 questions in 15
minutes and then the other guy got up and gave 30 answers

I agree. The style is called "interleaved" or "inline" replying. I wish
more people did that.

I hate top posting messages where there's a one line reply like "yeah, I
agree", and I have to scroll down through a hundred quoted lines to see
what they're replying to.

Bottom posting is just as bad when I have to scroll through a bunch of
quoted lines just to see what the reply was.

If people are going to take the time to reply, please trim the message down
to only include the point you are replying to. If I want to know more about
the conversation, any decent newsreader will let me look back through
previous associated posts. The entire conversation doesn't need to be
quoted in every single post.

Be quick to listen, slow to speak...

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Mar 2014 16:45:33 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

I agree. The style is called "interleaved" or "inline" replying. I wish
more people did that.

It has a place.

I hate top posting messages where there's a one line reply like "yeah, I
agree", and I have to scroll down through a hundred quoted lines to see
what they're replying to.

Ignorance, mostly.

Bottom posting is just as bad when I have to scroll through a bunch of
quoted lines just to see what the reply was.

Many people don't take the time to snip. I no longer scroll through
long posts to get tot he bottom. Rarely is it worth the time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message

Maybe you're right. Maybe I didnt' notice because SAE bolts

are the

right kind of bolts, and not these alien bolts they sent me

today.

Why can't they protect our border better?

Thanks.

A foot has 12 inches; Jesus had 12 disciples.

The Beast in Revelations has 10 horns; the metric system is based on 10.

Seems pretty obvious to me.

Paul

There are 12 beers in a 12 pack of beer
There are 10 commandments liek metric horns
Without Jesus Satan would be nothing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 31, 2011 at 3:56:08 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
I finally bought the trailer hitch for my Solara and it came with
M10 -1.25 x 30mm bolts. So how come I need to use the 17mm socket
on a 10mm bolt?

SAE bolts aren't this confused.

Wrench size is dependent on bolt strength or grade. For UNC bolts, wrench size is 1.5 times the bolt diameter. For example, 3/8-16 course thread bolt, grade 3 or 5 is =1.5*3/8 or =3/8 + 3/16 which equals a 9/16" wrench. For a 1" bolt, again grade 3 or 5, the wrench size is 1.5 times diameter or 1.5 times 1" which is a 1 1/2" wrench. For extra heavy nuts, or 2H nuts, add 1/8" to wrench size. For example, a 5/8" bolt with a 2H nut will require a wrench sized as follows: 1.5 times 5/8 or 15/16" plus 1/8" or a 1 1/16" wrench.
Metric bolts are somewhat the same, as wrench size is dependent on bolt strength.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 20:27:42 -0500, wrote:

[...]

A 7/16 bolt is a bit odd. The bolt takes a 5/8 wrench while the
nut is 11/16. I think those are grade 5.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.rec.driving

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message newsp.x3xbjtks6w0fur@deans-air...

[...]

1 nut + 1 nut = nutz

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-08-25, Doug Miller wrote:

1/4" bolts have 7/16" heads, for example -- the head size is
*always* larger than the shaft diameter, else the head wouldn't be
of much use, would it?

It would if it were a set screw.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/26/2015 02:35 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
How could one identify the male/female parts? Take it the veterinarian

Like a guinea pig? When I was a kid I had a male and bought an alleged
female. I had visions of litters of guinea pigs to sell. After a fwe
months I concluded they were gay little piggies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 18:27:42 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

Not necessarily true. Metric bolt head size differs depending on the
standard - JIS, DIN,ISO or ANSI/ ISO or DIN/ISO.
A 10mm DIN uses 17mm, while ISO uses 16 and JIS uses 14mm. That's why
tool kits for European, Japanese, and American vehicles etc contain
different assortments of wrenches.
Only JIS (Japanese standard) uses 12mm and only DIN specific sets have
an 11mm (used on DIN 7mm bolts - no other standard even HAS a 7mm
bolt) Same for a 27mm wrench and 18mm bolt.

American vehicles tend to use DIN/ISO, so 11mm (same as 7/16) is
included in american sets for use on some 6mm bolts ---
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 12:47:01 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

wrote in news:0b408e22-a52d-414b-82cc-1416513f8306
:

On Monday, October 31, 2011 at 3:56:08 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
I finally bought the trailer hitch for my Solara and it came with
M10 -1.25 x 30mm bolts. So how come I need to use the 17mm socket
on a 10mm bolt?

SAE bolts aren't this confused.

Wrench size is dependent on bolt strength or grade. [...]

It isn't the bolts that are confused, it's micky. Bolt size is the bolt diameter, not the head size.
1/4" bolts have 7/16" heads, for example -- the head size is *always* larger than the shaft
diameter, else the head wouldn't be of much use, would it?

Not "always" - 12 point heads on "header bolts" and some cyl head
bolts can be the same size as the bolt thread diameter - but they are
"flanged" bolts. Some old "plough bolts" also used a square heas the
same size across flats as the thread size.