Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Seeking M6 socket bolt, 70mm

Apparently this is an unusual item...

I need 4 M6 socket-headed bolts, 70mm long (excluding the heads), and
here's the rub: threaded over the entire length. Everywhere I've tried
only has a thread at the bottom 30mm or so, regardless of overall
length.

Oh, and ideally in s/steel.

I spose I could buy non-fully-threaded ones and tap a thread myself,
but would rather avoid that as I don't have any of the requisite kit,
for a start.

Anyone able to point me at a supplier?

Many thanks
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

I need 4 M6 socket-headed bolts, 70mm long (excluding the heads), and
here's the rub: threaded over the entire length.

That's not a bolt, it's a machine screw. If you use a real industrial
supplier they'll have them. I use County Industrial in Cwmbran or the
place in Bath alongside Green Park station.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Dec 2006 11:36:15 -0800, "Lobster"
wrote:

Apparently this is an unusual item...

I need 4 M6 socket-headed bolts, 70mm long (excluding the heads), and
here's the rub: threaded over the entire length. Everywhere I've tried
only has a thread at the bottom 30mm or so, regardless of overall
length.

Oh, and ideally in s/steel.

I spose I could buy non-fully-threaded ones and tap a thread myself,
but would rather avoid that as I don't have any of the requisite kit,
for a start.

Anyone able to point me at a supplier?

Many thanks
David

75mm OK? :

http://www.a2stainless.co.uk/contentitempage~ContentID~17719.aspx

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 20:15:43 +0000, Pete C
wrote:

75mm OK? :

http://www.a2stainless.co.uk/contentitempage~ContentID~17719.aspx

Oops, should have looked a bit harder, there is 70mm too:

http://www.a2stainless.co.uk/contentitempage~ContentID~17727.aspx

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

75mm OK? :

http://www.a2stainless.co.uk/contentitempage~ContentID~17719.aspx

Oops, should have looked a bit harder, there is 70mm too:

http://www.a2stainless.co.uk/contentitempage~ContentID~17727.aspx

Thanks but it needs the socket head like:
http://www.a2stainless.co.uk/contentitempage~ContentID~262359.aspx
(I'll email the site as per their advice though)

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
Lobster wrote:

I need 4 M6 socket-headed bolts, 70mm long (excluding the heads),
and here's the rub: threaded over the entire length.

That's not a bolt, it's a machine screw. If you use a real
industrial supplier they'll have them. I use County Industrial in
Cwmbran or the place in Bath alongside Green Park station.

Thanks. I did try a local industrial supplier actually, who normally
have a fantastic range, and they advised me (I think) that the versions
with threads all along couldn't be obtained (but maybe they just meant
they couldn't obtain them!)

I'll try and find another similar place in the vicinity...

Thanks
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Apparently this is an unusual item...

I need 4 M6 socket-headed bolts, 70mm long (excluding the heads), and
here's the rub: threaded over the entire length. Everywhere I've tried
only has a thread at the bottom 30mm or so, regardless of overall
length.

Oh, and ideally in s/steel.

I spose I could buy non-fully-threaded ones and tap a thread myself,
but would rather avoid that as I don't have any of the requisite kit,
for a start.

Anyone able to point me at a supplier?

http://www.fastfixdirect.co.uk

search on item 25706

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Lobster wrote:
I need 4 M6 socket-headed bolts, 70mm long (excluding the heads), and
here's the rub: threaded over the entire length. Everywhere I've tried
only has a thread at the bottom 30mm or so, regardless of overall
length.

Oh, and ideally in s/steel.

I spose I could buy non-fully-threaded ones and tap a thread myself,
but would rather avoid that as I don't have any of the requisite kit,
for a start.

In general you can't. The shank of a bolt is smaller than the correct size
to tap a thread on.

--
*Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter since nobody listens*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
Thanks. I did try a local industrial supplier actually, who normally
have a fantastic range, and they advised me (I think) that the versions
with threads all along couldn't be obtained (but maybe they just meant
they couldn't obtain them!)

Machine screws are usually easier to find than bolts.

--
*Thank you. We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Apparently this is an unusual item...

I need 4 M6 socket-headed bolts, 70mm long (excluding the heads), and
here's the rub: threaded over the entire length. Everywhere I've tried
only has a thread at the bottom 30mm or so, regardless of overall
length.

Have you tried asking for "set screws" or "machine screws"? Bolts, by
definition, are only threaded over part of their length.

Anyone able to point me at a supplier?

RS do them in stainless up to 60 mm, if that's any good.

--
Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In general you can't. The shank of a bolt is smaller than the correct size
to tap a thread on.

The unthreaded portion of a bolt is bigger than that of the thread. If
it's smaller, it would be a screw.

You can roll threads on screws (this is how they get to be bigger in
diameter) but bolts are generally either cut threads or a two-diameter
dowel with a thread rolled onto one part of it.

A bolt is basically a dowel pin in shear, with a loose threaded nut to
fasten it. It may also provide compression, but it's capable of
resisting a radial shear load. This requires a plain shank that's a
snug fit in the hole, i.e. bigger than the thread.

A screw is a clamping device into a tapped hole. It's not intended for
major shear loads and so the shank diameter, or its smoothness (i.e.
non-threadedness) isn't so important.

Many screws are loosely called "bolts", but they aren't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
ups.com...
Apparently this is an unusual item...

I need 4 M6 socket-headed bolts, 70mm long (excluding the heads), and
here's the rub: threaded over the entire length. Everywhere I've tried
only has a thread at the bottom 30mm or so, regardless of overall
length.

Oh, and ideally in s/steel.

I spose I could buy non-fully-threaded ones and tap a thread myself,
but would rather avoid that as I don't have any of the requisite kit,
for a start.

Anyone able to point me at a supplier?

Reading the rest of the thread (and your responses). What you are after is
called a "socket head cap screw", possibly with a washer, and any 'good'
"nut & bolt" supplier in your area will be able to help. Post where you are
and somebody nearby may be able to point you in their direction. If you
only NEED 4 then a couple of beer 'tokens' will get them for you, as I have
found in the past when needing some obscure fixings!

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Wade wrote:
Lobster wrote:
Apparently this is an unusual item...

I need 4 M6 socket-headed bolts, 70mm long (excluding the heads), and
here's the rub: threaded over the entire length. Everywhere I've tried
only has a thread at the bottom 30mm or so, regardless of overall
length.

Have you tried asking for "set screws" or "machine screws"? Bolts, by
definition, are only threaded over part of their length.

I appreciate my error in the vernacular, but as I've been hawking round
an identical example of what I'm after (or looking at pictures on web
pages), that hasn't been the cause of the problem. But having
ascertained they can definitely be obtained, I'm renewing my efforts!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

75mm OK? :

http://www.a2stainless.co.uk/contentitempage~ContentID~17719.aspx

Oops, should have looked a bit harder, there is 70mm too:

http://www.a2stainless.co.uk/contentitempage~ContentID~17727.aspx

Thanks but it needs the socket head like:
http://www.a2stainless.co.uk/contentitempage~ContentID~262359.aspx
(I'll email the site as per their advice though)

My mistake, they do M6x80mm fully threaded which could be ground down:

http://www.a2stainless.co.uk/contentcollectionpage.aspx?Type=2&Category=3118
http://www.a2stainless.co.uk/contentitempage~ContentID~17903.aspx

cheers,
Pete.

Bolt, 10-24 Don Dando Woodworking 4 August 10th 06 04:52 PM
Bolt threads Phil Hansen Woodworking 7 August 6th 06 04:54 PM
How do I tell what bolt I need? TC UK diy 12 April 21st 06 11:47 PM
Soil pipe of elliptical or rectangular cross section. To fit within stud 70mm wall spacing. Does such a product exist? Peter UK diy 6 January 26th 05 11:02 PM
Why heat bolt and not around bolt? Don Metalworking 21 March 12th 04 11:07 PM