Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Strange pipe size - approx 17mm?

I was fitting a new kitchen today, went to turn off the water, then fit
an isolating valve on the pipes when I noticed that the pipe looked
unusally large for 15mm or half inch pipe.
I mentioned this to the homeowner, who said, yes,last time they changed
the sink, the plumber took hours to file the pipe down to get a fitting
on.
I measured it, and it was roughly 2mm wider than the 15mm copper pipe I
had with me.
Strange. I didnt bother cutting it where I wanted, and did the cutting
on the 'new' pipe under the sink.

Having never seen this pipe before, what is it?
1930's house, possibly original piping, going by the amount of paint on
it.
Definitely larger than 15mm/ 1/2", but a lot smaller than 22/ 3/4".
Copper throughout, not iron.

Ta
Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
I was fitting a new kitchen today, went to turn off the water, then
fit an isolating valve on the pipes when I noticed that the pipe
looked unusally large for 15mm or half inch pipe.
I mentioned this to the homeowner, who said, yes,last time they
changed the sink, the plumber took hours to file the pipe down to get
a fitting on.
I measured it, and it was roughly 2mm wider than the 15mm copper pipe
I had with me.
Strange. I didnt bother cutting it where I wanted, and did the cutting
on the 'new' pipe under the sink.

Having never seen this pipe before, what is it?
1930's house, possibly original piping, going by the amount of paint
on it.
Definitely larger than 15mm/ 1/2", but a lot smaller than 22/ 3/4".
Copper throughout, not iron.

Wierd. Iron pipe is approx 17mm OD, but never heard of copper that size.
If it was the old 1/2" that should fit 15mm fittings.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
A.Lee wrote:
[...]

more like 18mm+ I would have thought for iron - since that is the
diameter of a 1/2" BSP thread

I wonder what the inside diameter was (and could one have shoved some
15mm up it and soldered that)?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
snip

Having never seen this pipe before, what is it?
1930's house, possibly original piping, going by the amount of paint on
it.
Definitely larger than 15mm/ 1/2", but a lot smaller than 22/ 3/4".
Copper throughout, not iron.

There were a number of houses in Derby in the 1930s built by Browning
Brothers of Humberstone which used threaded copper pipe. It's 30-odd
years since I had to work on it, so I can't remember the exact size, but
I discovered that just one local plumber's merchant had stocks of
adapters. They closed years ago.

IIRC, the thread was much finer than BSP - probably BSB.

--
Kevin Poole
****Use current date to reply (e.g. )****
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:

I mentioned this to the homeowner, who said, yes,last time they changed
the sink, the plumber took hours to file the pipe down to get a fitting
on.
I measured it, and it was roughly 2mm wider than the 15mm copper pipe I
had with me.
Strange. I didnt bother cutting it where I wanted, and did the cutting
on the 'new' pipe under the sink.

BES do some "transition fittings" that are special compression type
fittings designed for mating odd pipe sizes with more common stuff.
(Listed along with the Leadlok type fittings).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin Poole wrote:

A.Lee wrote:
snip

Having never seen this pipe before, what is it?
1930's house, possibly original piping, going by the amount of paint on
it.
Definitely larger than 15mm/ 1/2", but a lot smaller than 22/ 3/4".
Copper throughout, not iron.

There were a number of houses in Derby in the 1930s built by Browning
Brothers of Humberstone which used threaded copper pipe.

Funny you should say that, this is in Leicester, so possibly the same
builder, or source of this strange sized pipe.
It is visibly bigger than 15mm pipe, so how the previous bloke got a
compression fitting to fit it, I dont know.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
Kevin Poole wrote:

A.Lee wrote:
snip
Having never seen this pipe before, what is it?
1930's house, possibly original piping, going by the amount of paint on
it.
Definitely larger than 15mm/ 1/2", but a lot smaller than 22/ 3/4".
Copper throughout, not iron.

There were a number of houses in Derby in the 1930s built by Browning
Brothers of Humberstone which used threaded copper pipe.

Funny you should say that, this is in Leicester, so possibly the same
builder, or source of this strange sized pipe.

I remembered you'd mentioned Leicester. No idea where Humberstone is,
only Humberstone Rd signalbox.

Get a zoomed-in birds-eye view of DE23 8RR, with www.maps.live.com to
see the type of houses. Is the Leicester one with the odd pipe a
similar design? The Browning Brothers houses in Derby are very
recognisable.

--
Kevin Poole
****Use current date to reply (e.g. )****
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote

I was fitting a new kitchen today, went to turn off the water, then fit
an isolating valve on the pipes when I noticed that the pipe looked
unusally large for 15mm or half inch pipe.
I mentioned this to the homeowner, who said, yes,last time they changed
the sink, the plumber took hours to file the pipe down to get a fitting
on.
I measured it, and it was roughly 2mm wider than the 15mm copper pipe I
had with me.
Strange. I didnt bother cutting it where I wanted, and did the cutting
on the 'new' pipe under the sink.

Having never seen this pipe before, what is it?
1930's house, possibly original piping, going by the amount of paint on
it.
Definitely larger than 15mm/ 1/2", but a lot smaller than 22/ 3/4".
Copper throughout, not iron.

It's possible this was made to match the dimensions, or at least the OD, of
steel piping.
Looking at tables, 3/8" nominal bore steel pipe has an OD of 17.1mm

Phil

Strange Threaded Lathe Spindle Size? Jeff W Metalworking 15 January 25th 09 03:14 AM
Help on finding a 17mm drill Osprey UK diy 9 October 12th 06 12:40 PM
Does exist a 15mm pre-bent copper pipe section with tight (approx 15mm radius) bend Peter UK diy 3 August 28th 05 02:57 PM
Plastic 17mm pipe rbel UK diy 8 August 4th 05 07:56 AM
strange central heating pipe banging noise Tim Mitchell UK diy 12 November 12th 03 05:18 PM