Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Iron Stained Fixtures, Tubs and Things

What can I use to remove iron stained surfaces like acrylic and plastic:tub,
inside of d/washer, etc.? I've tried a number of off the shelf products but
not very successfully. I'm on a well and have and have an inline water
filter before the water softener (which of course doesn't remove iron or
other mineral deposits. My water filter is actually reddish brown stained
and somewhat caked each time I change it. At some point I should install an
iron filter system but can't right now. Thanks for the input.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2011 12:19 PM, John F.F. wrote:
What can I use to remove iron stained surfaces like acrylic and
plastic:tub, inside of d/washer, etc.? I've tried a number of off the
shelf products but not very successfully. I'm on a well and have and
have an inline water filter before the water softener (which of course
doesn't remove iron or other mineral deposits. My water filter is
actually reddish brown stained and somewhat caked each time I change it.
At some point I should install an iron filter system but can't right
now. Thanks for the input.

I used toothpaste to remove iron from around acrylic sink drain; looks
like there is caulk around the drain which is still slightly stained,
but got it off the sink. Mfg. rec. using car wax on the sink.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Try rubbing the stains with a piece of lemon dippd in salt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2011 12:19 PM, John F.F. wrote:
What can I use to remove iron stained surfaces like acrylic and
plastic:tub, inside of d/washer, etc.? I've tried a number of off the
shelf products but not very successfully. I'm on a well and have and
have an inline water filter before the water softener (which of course
doesn't remove iron or other mineral deposits. My water filter is
actually reddish brown stained and somewhat caked each time I change it.
At some point I should install an iron filter system but can't right
now. Thanks for the input.

There are specific products for this. One I recall was, Iron Out, but
don't see it around. Wife had used in previous dishwasher and clothes
washer. Wife uses stuff from Acme just called Toilet Bowl Cleaner.
I'm on a well too but have no water softener, just whole house sediment
filter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2011 12:38 PM, Frank wrote:
On 10/31/2011 12:19 PM, John F.F. wrote:
What can I use to remove iron stained surfaces like acrylic and
plastic:tub, inside of d/washer, etc.? I've tried a number of off the
shelf products but not very successfully. I'm on a well and have and
have an inline water filter before the water softener (which of course
doesn't remove iron or other mineral deposits. My water filter is
actually reddish brown stained and somewhat caked each time I change it.
At some point I should install an iron filter system but can't right
now. Thanks for the input.

There are specific products for this. One I recall was, Iron Out, but
don't see it around. Wife had used in previous dishwasher and clothes
washer. Wife uses stuff from Acme just called Toilet Bowl Cleaner.
I'm on a well too but have no water softener, just whole house sediment
filter.

whink. it can be found in supermarkets

http://www.amazon.com/Whink-26Oz-Iro.../dp/B001CEJYS2

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John F.F." wrote in message
What can I use to remove iron stained surfaces like acrylic and
plastic:tub, inside of d/washer, etc.? I've tried a number of off the
shelf products but not very successfully. I'm on a well and have and have
an inline water filter before the water softener (which of course doesn't
remove iron or other mineral deposits. My water filter is actually
reddish brown stained and somewhat caked each time I change it. At some
point I should install an iron filter system but can't right now. Thanks
for the input.

When doing appliance repair (years ago) I had customers on wells that iron
stained washers and dish washers. I used Oxalic acid crystals. 2 or 3
tablespoons through a empty load and appliance was spotless. However these
were porcelain finished in those days. Will it work on the newer plastic
type??? I don't know. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 31, 12:38*pm, Frank wrote:
[...]

Iron Out still available at HDepot in SoCal.....used it to de-rust a
$750 wall mount toilet for less than $10 is chems, instead of
replacing it.

cheers
Bob