Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Duraglas Repair of Window Sill

Last night, I took out the old single pane wooden picture window (48"
x 54") to see what I'll be up against when I install the VRW picture
window this weekend.

In one lower corner where the old aluminum storm window must have
leaked, I have some rotten wood. It's rained the last few days, but
the area is dry, so I don't think the storm frame that I installed 5
or 6 years ago was the source of the leak. I'm pretty sure it must
have been the old frame which was in pretty bad shape when I removed
it.

Replacing the entire sill would be a major job and as far as I can
tell there is only this one spot where there is rot.

I replaced the double hungs on both sides of the picture window last
year and there was no sign of rot on the sills below those windows.

So, I managed to poke away at the rotten area and got down to solid
wood on all sides of the rot. My plan was to use some Duraglas to fill
in the area and then prime and paint it.

It should be noted that this area is interior of the external window
stop so it will be completely covered by the replacement window, which
will then be sealed with caulk along the seam of the exterior stop and
the window. (There was no caulk used with the old picture window, so
I'm not surprised that water made it's way under the window)

Anybody see anything wrong with this type of repair?

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 11:39:03 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

My first thought is no. Sounds like a plan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

My first thought is no. Sounds like a plan.- Hide quoted text -

Sounds like what I would do also.

Painting a window sill Dave UK diy 34 September 23rd 08 06:22 PM
Repair upvc window sill [email protected] UK diy 3 August 21st 06 10:33 PM
How to repair my PVC window sill? [email protected] UK diy 0 July 31st 06 01:01 PM
Brick window sill [email protected] UK diy 1 June 7th 06 01:18 PM
window sill sealant Ian Cornish UK diy 12 September 13th 05 02:08 PM