Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rookie Fun, Revised

From a friend:

Metric pipe wrench.

Lowe's has 'em!

When I worked there in Contractor Sales, a plumber sent a
flunky in after one, so I sold him a Metric Pipe Wrench that
had all of the markings in Millimeters.

Later, a Contractor sent a guy in for a Metric Hammer, and I
sold him one that had the markings in Kilograms. About an
Hour later the Foreman came in with his new helper laughing
his ass off because he had never heard of a Metric Hammer
before. I told him to give that guy a raise because you sent
him on an "Impossible Task" That he accomplished. He said I
was right and handed him a $50 Bill right in front of me.

That being said, when I was living in Florida, I was working
on my Girlfriend's 1972 VolksWagon Super Beatle and sent her
pesky Uncle to NAPA for a new Radiator Cap for it…

He was gone for 2 Hours! LOL

Possum in Upstate SC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 12:36:23 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

From a friend:

Metric pipe wrench.

Lowe's has 'em!

Really? I've seen plenty of adjustable wrenches with metric scales on (I
have one, made by Draper IIRC) - but not a pipe wrench. I didn't think
that pipe wrenches generally *had* scales (which is, I suppose, the point
of the "joke")

That being said, when I was living in Florida, I was working on my
Girlfriend's 1972 VolksWagon Super Beatle and sent her pesky Uncle to
NAPA for a new Radiator Cap for it

:-) I like that.

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 27, 1:03*pm, Jules Richardson
wrote:
Really? I've seen plenty of adjustable wrenches with metric scales on (I
have one, made by Draper IIRC) - but not a pipe wrench. I didn't think
that pipe wrenches generally *had* scales (which is, I suppose, the point
of the "joke")

Neither did I until I read this post and had to go check. The one I
can find right now does have a scale (in inches)... I never would have
thought to look for one...or cared (which I think was the point).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 27, 12:36*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
That being said, when I was living in Florida, I was working
on my Girlfriend's 1972 VolksWagon Super Beatle and sent her
pesky Uncle to NAPA for a new Radiator Cap for it

Ok, that one took me a minute. Haven't touched an old beetle in quite
a while.

I do remember amazing a friend of mine who had one by diagnosing the
noise coming from the back end, over the phone.

"It's making a weird rattling noise in the back."

"Does it sound like someone shaking a can of marbles."

"Yeah, that's exactly what it sounds like!"

"Rear CV joint."

"What!!!!!"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Once in a while, I'm able to do a diagnosis over the phone,
like that. Not often, but some times. I'm glad that one
worked out well.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Larry Fishel" wrote in message

I do remember amazing a friend of mine who had one by
diagnosing the
noise coming from the back end, over the phone.

"It's making a weird rattling noise in the back."

"Does it sound like someone shaking a can of marbles."

"Yeah, that's exactly what it sounds like!"

"Rear CV joint."

"What!!!!!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy adds:
In college, I worked nights as an engineer in a television station,
and it was
customary to send "new" guys on errands, like"

Go downstairs and ask the secretary for the key to the sync
lock......

Go to the basement and see if the color burst.....

Go out to the van and get a drip pan for the grid leak....

Etc......

I went thru the initiations like everyone else, and gleefully
participated in the harassment to the new guys who came in
after me........

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 05:16:18 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

I went thru the initiations like everyone else, and gleefully
participated in the harassment to the new guys who came in
after me........

Andy in Eureka, Texas

That is the point! It builds character. In some cases it teaches
rookies to listen more closely.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've also heard, it's an introduction. Gives the rookie a
chance to go to the different departments, and meet
everyone.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

I went thru the initiations like everyone else, and
gleefully
participated in the harassment to the new guys who came in
after me........

Andy in Eureka, Texas

That is the point! It builds character. In some cases it
teaches
rookies to listen more closely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 16:24:15 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I've also heard, it's an introduction. Gives the rookie a
chance to go to the different departments, and meet
everyone.

The best place I ever worked had three generations of staff.

I could get the truth ..

I won't tell you about Randy wearing a Gorilla mask. The Physiologist
sent the fellow to a medical center. Not Randy, but the prisoner. They
sent him back; said he was cured.

Norm's a rookie..... tom Woodworking 4 October 27th 11 03:18 PM
Can a rookie hope to be successful at...... Mike Home Repair 13 September 29th 07 06:22 AM
Rookie jointer question AcornMan Woodworking 7 March 22nd 06 04:09 PM
Rookie Question russ498 Woodturning 8 November 22nd 05 05:05 PM
Bushing question from rookie Richard A. Woodworking 10 September 11th 04 07:52 PM