Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Strange Noise Under Floor

I bought my small one-story house in 1996. It is now about 26 years
old. There is no basement, but there is a crawl space under the
entire house that I store a lot of stuff in. The pipes for the house's
plumbing and the electrical and cable wires are all visible in the
crawl space.

Recently I started hearing loud clicks coming from under the floor in
the living room. I assumed they were coming from the crawl space, but
when I went in it I heard nothing. Now the clicks have turned into
what sounds like a noisy motor..

My oil furnace is in my garage and there's no sound coming from it.
I've gone back into the crawl space and checked it out from wall to
wall and still heard nothing, but when I go back into the living room
the sound is still there.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry S. wrote:
I bought my small one-story house in 1996. It is now about 26 years
old. There is no basement, but there is a crawl space under the
entire house that I store a lot of stuff in. The pipes for the house's
plumbing and the electrical and cable wires are all visible in the
crawl space.

Recently I started hearing loud clicks coming from under the floor in
the living room. I assumed they were coming from the crawl space, but
when I went in it I heard nothing. Now the clicks have turned into
what sounds like a noisy motor..

My oil furnace is in my garage and there's no sound coming from it.
I've gone back into the crawl space and checked it out from wall to
wall and still heard nothing, but when I go back into the living room
the sound is still there.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

Sounds can travel in odd ways through buildings depending on a variety of
resonant materals and spaces (and the combination of them). My suggestion
would be to listen to the house itself by putting your ear on a solid
material (like a wall or a floor), and follow the sound to the source as the
volume increases. Take a variety of readings (several dozen) in one area to
get a better idea of what's going on, and increase your data sample.

For more sensitivity, use a mechanic's stethoscope or an inverted drinking
glass.

My guess would be a forgotten sump pump that is buried somewhere under
there.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry S. wrote:
I bought my small one-story house in 1996. It is now about 26 years
old. There is no basement, but there is a crawl space under the
entire house that I store a lot of stuff in. The pipes for the house's
plumbing and the electrical and cable wires are all visible in the
crawl space.

Recently I started hearing loud clicks coming from under the floor in
the living room. I assumed they were coming from the crawl space, but
when I went in it I heard nothing. Now the clicks have turned into
what sounds like a noisy motor..

My oil furnace is in my garage and there's no sound coming from it.
I've gone back into the crawl space and checked it out from wall to
wall and still heard nothing, but when I go back into the living room
the sound is still there.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

Now you know why it's called a crawl space. Get a good flashlight and
happy hunting. If you see glowing eyes looking at you while under there
it's probably not a good thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 9:27*pm, Earl wrote:
There is some ghoul living in there.

while the noise is occuring turn off the main breaker........

if the noise stops try isolating the noise to a single breaker...

if the noise does not stop then it might be a animal living under your
home.

either way this diagnoses whats going on..

use care if its a animal

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 8:36*pm, "Terry S." wrote:
I bought my small one-story house in 1996. *It is now about 26 years
old. *There is no basement, but there is a crawl space under the
entire house that I store a lot of stuff in. The pipes for the house's
plumbing and the electrical and cable wires are all visible in the
crawl space.

Recently I started hearing loud clicks coming from under the floor in
the living room. *I assumed they were coming from the crawl space, but
when I went in it I heard nothing. *Now the clicks have turned into
what sounds like a noisy motor..

My oil furnace is in my garage and there's no sound coming from it.
I've gone back into the crawl space and checked it out from wall to
wall and still heard nothing, but when I go back into the living room
the sound is still there.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

Do you live in a mining area or where there previously mining in the
past.?
If not any of the above (which are more likely), I was thinking
subsidence/uplift due to mining voids.
Or the neighbours are tunneling to the bank vault.
Posted to alt.home.repair

A spirit who has acheived his ghoul in life?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Earl" wrote in message
b.com...
There is some ghoul living in there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Fatter Than Ever Moe" HardTimes@TheFarm wrote in message
Terry S. wrote:
[...]

Clicks and motor sounds usually come from insects. Such souonds can be
quite loud (think crickets). Looks for something small under there.

TKM

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry S. wrote:
[...]

If all else fails, call Ghost busters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 4:10*pm, "TKM" wrote:
"Fatter Than Ever Moe" HardTimes@TheFarm wrote in ink.net...

Terry S. wrote:
[...]

TKM- Hide quoted text -

Or wood worm (death watch beetle) makes tapping sound.
Sound & video here.
http://www.arkive.org/death-watch-be...video-09a.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Does it happen when you have the heat on? Could be the pipes expanding
which is normal.