Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Washing machine leaks

My Whirlpool washer is less than 5 years old and has always performed
flawlessly. Just recently it has started to leak from the Left rear
corner, but in a strange way. It leaks when first emptying the
original soapy water, but does not leak when emptying the rinse
water. We have pulled it out and cleaned up the area that had globs
of soap on the floor. OP suggests that maybe I have been using too
much (liquid) soap. I don't think so, but am willing to entertain any
explanation. But why is this showing up now after trouble-free years?

We don't have a snake, but tried running a coathanger down the vent
to see if a sock or something is blocking, but it snags retty
quickly. Maybe the pipe bends? But if the vent pipe WERE clogged,
the rinse water would be leaking as well. ????

I am not in a great position to spend on a plumber, who might charge
me 1/4-1/2 of the washer's value, but will have to do it if NG doesn't
have any suggestions that we could implement at home.

Any input appreciated.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
[...]

Step 1 is to find out exactly where it is leaking.
It might be something as simple as a loose hose clamp.

Posted to alt.home.repair

One time I diagnosed a washing machine leak, during the
eject cycle. Turns out to been a cracked discharge hose.

Might not relate to your machine.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/2011 12:20 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

Your observation can be explained by the fact that soap and detergents
lower the surface tension of water, making it easier to leak out of a
very small opening. Also, if your wash water is warm or hot, and your
rinse water is cold, the warmth of the wash water expands the area
around the leak, enlarging it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 6:59*am, Peter wrote:
[...]

****That's interesting! Wash water is almost always WARM, w/COLD
rinse programmed into washer. But one or two times lately, I used
HOT. Could those ****instances have "expanded the area around the
leak"? If so, would the area have *stayed* expanded? Thinking back
over 5+ years I've used the machine, rarely, ****rarely w/ HOT water,
question arises why didn't this happen sooner.

***All this is food for thought -- and possibly action.

****(using asterisks because *&^%%)_^&^problem of missing carets not
yet solved).

Tx

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 6:59*am, Peter wrote:
[...]

Thanks so much, Peter, and all the rest who contributed. Your
scientific explanation was very helpful. The machine does, in fact,
offer only cold rinses. I rarely use HOT, mostly WARM. but still
your reason could help explain the leak.

Glad to report that all seems well. I ran through a couple of rinses
(obvious, once it's been pointed out!!!!!) and did not observe leakage.
Just did a small wash with the CORRECT amount of liquid soap;
again, no leakage. There must have been quite a soap buildup
over time, using too much.

Glad this was caught before the floor rotted!!!

Thanks again to all.

HB