Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lowes closing a few stores

"Lowe's Cos Inc is closing 20 of its U.S. locations and eliminating nearly
2,000 jobs, and the home improvement retailer is slashing its store-opening
plans to improve profitability."

http://news.yahoo.com/lowes-closes-s...123721596.html

The stores being closed are located in:

Los Banos, CA
Biddeford, ME
Old Bridge, NJ
Westminster, CA
Ellsworth, ME
Batavia, NY
Denver, CO
Ionia, MI
N. Kingstown, RI
Aurora, IL
Rogers, MN
Emporia, VA
Oswego, IL
Claremont, NH
S. Tacoma, WA
Chalmette, LA
Hooksett, NH
Brown Deer, WI
Haverhill, MA
Manchester, NH

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-10-18, HeyBub wrote:

The stores being closed are located in:

Los Banos, CA
Biddeford, ME
Old Bridge, NJ
Westminster, CA
Ellsworth, ME
Batavia, NY
Denver, CO
Ionia, MI
N. Kingstown, RI
Aurora, IL
Rogers, MN
Emporia, VA
Oswego, IL
Claremont, NH
S. Tacoma, WA
Chalmette, LA
Hooksett, NH
Brown Deer, WI
Haverhill, MA
Manchester, NH

The locations are somewhat surprising. Denver, but not my previous
location in CA. I would guess slow business is indicative of overall
retarded building growth in an area.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://news.yahoo.com/lowes-closes-s...-plan-12372159...

The stores being closed are located in:

Los Banos, CA
Biddeford, ME
Old Bridge, NJ
Westminster, CA
Ellsworth, ME
Batavia, NY
Denver, CO
Ionia, MI
N. Kingstown, RI
Aurora, IL
Rogers, MN
Emporia, VA
Oswego, IL
Claremont, NH
S. Tacoma, WA
Chalmette, LA
Hooksett, NH
Brown Deer, WI
Haverhill, MA
Manchester, NH

"Right sizing" the company to make it nimble. Something GM should
have done. Something the banks should have done, Something the
financial services companies should have done, Something the
insurance companies should have done. Clearing the brush is a good
thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 18, 3:57*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

There are 2 stores about 10 miles from here, Oswego and Aurora IL that
are closing. What amazed me was that there were no rumors, and the
employeees had no notice whatsoever, they just showed up Monday
morning and the stores were closed and the store signs were already
removed. What a shock that must have been. The Chicago tv news said
that employeees would get 2 months salary and benefits.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/18/2011 9:28 AM, RickH wrote:
On Oct 18, 3:57 am, wrote:
[...]

Why would any business do that under our "capitalist" system? It
absolutely makes no sense to be prudent when there is only upside and no
downside. If you are a bank and you over expand and make bad decisions
and run the bank onto the rocks you just call up the government and say
"poor widdle me..." If you are a brokerage and make bad decisions and
have huge gambling losses you call up the government and say "poor
widdle me..." And you even get to keep your $10 million bonus(and get a
bigger one next year) for the great work you did.

Rush Limbagh capitalism with only upside is sure a great thing...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/18/2011 10:06 AM, hr(bob) wrote:
On Oct 18, 3:57 am, wrote:
[...]

That seems to be the standard drill with big box organizations. That way
none of the "associates" have an opportunity to damage stuff etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

:

On Oct 18, 3:57 am, wrote:
[...]

Rush Limbaugh and other hard-right conservatives were very much opposed
to those bailouts. They said let the banks fail.

If you remember the Congressional debate over the TARP bailouts of the
banks, the only ones opposed to TARP were hard-right Republicans and
hard-Left Democrats.

Who was in favor of those bailouts: A coalition of "centrist"
Republicans like McCain and "centrist" Democrats like Harry Reid.

-- Steven L.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
"Lowe's Cos Inc is closing 20 of its U.S. locations and eliminating
nearly 2,000 jobs...

Stores like this have been watching "This Old House" and their
$80,000.00 kitchen remodeling jobs. Then stocking mostly "upscale"
associated things in their stores which have OUTRAGEOUS prices...

At the same time they were doing this, "Joe Homeowner" has been going
broke, having trouble making ends meet, and looking for more "basic"
and inexpensive repair / remodeling options.

Me thinks they would be wise to offer "budget" remodeling products...
(Drop the granite and get back to Formica!)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/18/11 10:06 am, hr(bob) wrote:

[...]

No sell-off of the stock? When our local HD closed earlier this year
(open for only 3 or 4 years), there was a "Store Closing" sale that
lasted a month or so.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

On Oct 18, 10:38*am, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:
[...]

Perce- Hide quoted text -

The Denver paper said the Lowes store that is closing was opened 19
months ago. Not good planning I'm guessing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steven L. wrote:
:

On Oct 18, 3:57 am, wrote:
[...]

Still, the TARP money has been (mostly) paid back ($169 billion of $245
billion).

The "Stimulus" money is gone with the wind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/18/2011 11:23 AM, Steven L. wrote:

:

On Oct 18, 3:57 am, wrote:
[...]

The angst was mostly about gm since that was an obvious windfall for the
unions. Maybe you forgot the "too big to fail" spin campaign that told
us that all upside and no downside was a good thing for banks?
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Cheaper to put it back in the system, at least the unbroken pallet items.

Liquidation companies have a very low RoR on current-stock items, and it
is hard on the public image. Better to just vanish- people forget
quickly. For the open-stock or shelf-worn items, they probably have a
company on contract that pays a set rate with no muss, no fuss. In the
olden days, BigLots used to get a lot of their stock that way, I think.
Back before they switched to purpose-built Chinese discount crap. I
haven't seen any secondary market stuff in their stores in ages that
looked like it had made it to retail level.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 19:13:29 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

[...]

Likely true, except for the fading shadow of the former sign on the building.
The former Lowes store here (it move a couple of miles to be closer to the
HomeDespot ;-) still looks like a Lowes, even though it was recently taken
over by TSC.

For the open-stock or shelf-worn items, they probably have a
company on contract that pays a set rate with no muss, no fuss. In the
olden days, BigLots used to get a lot of their stock that way, I think.
Back before they switched to purpose-built Chinese discount crap. I
haven't seen any secondary market stuff in their stores in ages that
looked like it had made it to retail level.

They probably shove them back to (up?) their suppliers, like WallyWorld.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 09:25:09 -0700, "Bill"
wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
"Lowe's Cos Inc is closing 20 of its U.S. locations and eliminating
nearly 2,000 jobs...

Stores like this have been watching "This Old House" and their
$80,000.00 kitchen remodeling jobs. Then stocking mostly "upscale"
associated things in their stores which have OUTRAGEOUS prices...

At the same time they were doing this, "Joe Homeowner" has been going
broke, having trouble making ends meet, and looking for more "basic"
and inexpensive repair / remodeling options.

Me thinks they would be wise to offer "budget" remodeling products...
(Drop the granite and get back to Formica!)

Um, they do sell Formica. Of course they contract out granite, if that floats
your boat. It's not sold in the store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message

stuff snipped

Liquidation companies have a very low RoR on current-stock items, and it
is hard on the public image. Better to just vanish- people forget
quickly. For the open-stock or shelf-worn items, they probably have a
company on contract that pays a set rate with no muss, no fuss. In the
olden days, BigLots used to get a lot of their stock that way, I think.
Back before they switched to purpose-built Chinese discount crap. I
haven't seen any secondary market stuff in their stores in ages that
looked like it had made it to retail level.

When the Circuit City stores closed I found out how dreadfully stupid people
can be. They were selling floor models, returns and other crap for very
close to what you could buy it for somewhere else with no warranty and no
recourse if it didn't work. Just put out a closeout sign up and people
swarm like moths. After all the good stuff was gone, the liquidators
brought in truckloads of super cheap crap that sold like hotcakes, too. No
wonder this nation's in trouble.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

notbob wrote:
On 2011-10-18, HeyBub wrote:

[...]

All but one of the stores are in a state Obama carried. Not that there's
anything wrong with that...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just ran a search on the Yahoo! Yellow Pages and found that there are seven Lowe's stores within 15 miles of my house, three of which are within seven miles. For Home Depot, there are nine within 15 miles, and again, three are within seven miles.

It seems to me that they may have over-extended in the good years, trying to saturate an area by building many stores to capture the market. Now that things are tightening up, they're trimming the dead wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-10-19, HeyBub wrote:

All but one of the stores are in a state Obama carried. Not that there's
anything wrong with that...

.....but you jes couldn't stand to miss an opportunity to denigrate the
party you oppose.

Typical.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-10-19, HeyBub wrote:

All but one of the stores are in a state Obama carried. Not that
there's anything wrong with that...

....but you jes couldn't stand to miss an opportunity to denigrate the
party you oppose.

Typical.

What denigration? The statement didn't say Obama was the cause of a state's
problems. If anything the statement can be read that the problems in a state
were the cause of Obama's election!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:
I just ran a search on the Yahoo! Yellow Pages and found that there
are seven Lowe's stores within 15 miles of my house, three of which
are within seven miles. For Home Depot, there are nine within 15
miles, and again, three are within seven miles.

It seems to me that they may have over-extended in the good years,
trying to saturate an area by building many stores to capture the
market. Now that things are tightening up, they're trimming the dead
wood.

Conversely, they may all be booming to accommodate those who are DIYing
rather than hiring contractors or dumping their dump and buying a new home.

It used to be said that in tough times the two businesses that do well are
religious bookstores and shoe repair. The former for hope and the latter
because it's too expensive to change.