Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DoorKnob Spindle thread?

I have a few old doorknobs that can use a new spindle,the problem is
what kind of thread is used on the spindle,the threads on most of the
door knobs are stripped, I've tried 3/8x30 nuts to check the spinle
threads,can't fit.The size of the spindle is 9/32 square bar/key stock

This is the only info I came up with

# Solid Steel Construction
# Standard 9/32" Thickness
# 20 Threads Per Inch

Is this the correct die or tap,it is used in the UK

9/32" X 20 TPI BSW

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeremy Suarez wrote:
I have a few old doorknobs that can use a new spindle,the problem is
what kind of thread is used on the spindle,the threads on most of the
door knobs are stripped, I've tried 3/8x30 nuts to check the spinle
threads,can't fit.The size of the spindle is 9/32 square bar/key stock

This is the only info I came up with

# Solid Steel Construction
# Standard 9/32" Thickness
# 20 Threads Per Inch

Is this the correct die or tap,it is used in the UK

9/32" X 20 TPI BSW

The last one I bought a couple months ago was significantly smaller in diameter
than the origional. It was useless in the old doorknobs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Replacement spindles typically come pre-threaded, for your
convenience.

(Convenient, unlike taking a shopping basket from outside
the store "for your convenience".)

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jeremy Suarez" wrote in message
I have a few old doorknobs that can use a new spindle,the
problem is
what kind of thread is used on the spindle,the threads on
most of the
door knobs are stripped, I've tried 3/8x30 nuts to check the
spinle
threads,can't fit.The size of the spindle is 9/32 square
bar/key stock

This is the only info I came up with

# Solid Steel Construction
# Standard 9/32" Thickness
# 20 Threads Per Inch

Is this the correct die or tap,it is used in the UK

9/32" X 20 TPI BSW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 5:49*pm, Jeremy Suarez wrote:
I have a few old doorknobs that can use a new spindle,the problem is
what kind of thread is used on the spindle,the threads on most of the
door knobs are stripped, I've tried 3/8x30 nuts to check the spinle
threads,can't fit.The size of the spindle is 9/32 square bar/key stock

This is the only info I came up with

* # Solid Steel Construction
# Standard 9/32" Thickness
# 20 Threads Per Inch

Is this the correct die or tap,it is used in the UK

9/32" X 20 TPI BSW

Just take the knob to a hardware store and see what size bolt/machine
screw fits the threads. That is the base size you need. If it isn't
available, get a threaded rod , put a nut or two on the rod and grind
it down so there is a flat for the knob setscrew, and thentake the nut
off over the area where you ground the flat. THe nut will rethread
the rod so the doorknob will go on. This is not rocket science here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

That is the problem,I've used the closest size,3/8x16,3/8x20 and
3/8x24 nothing doing

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/12/2011 8:12 AM, Jeremy Suarez wrote:

That is the problem,I've used the closest size,3/8x16,3/8x20 and 3/8x24
nothing doing

I'm not sure what they use, either, otomh but I don't think they use a
standard thread. They're more like an Acme thread or something similar
altho it's not a true Acme, either.

I've got some old ones out in the shop; I'll try to find time to see if
can figure out something that might work close enough that's moderately
common...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 6:49*pm, Jeremy Suarez wrote:
I have a few old doorknobs that can use a new spindle,the problem is
what kind of thread is used on the spindle,the threads on most of the
door knobs are stripped, I've tried 3/8x30 nuts to check the spinle
threads,can't fit.The size of the spindle is 9/32 square bar/key stock

This is the only info I came up with

* # Solid Steel Construction
# Standard 9/32" Thickness
# 20 Threads Per Inch

Is this the correct die or tap,it is used in the UK

9/32" X 20 TPI BSW

I would take it down to the local hardware store and find a nut that
fit. Running a hardened nut over it should clean up the threads. I
dont think you can use a regular die on square stock.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/12/2011 8:28 AM, dpb wrote:

I've got some old ones out in the shop; I'll try to find time to see if
can figure out something that might work close enough that's moderately
common...

Well, bummer!

The ones handy are the unthreaded type w/ threaded holes for set screw
to adjust knob position. Have to look deeper into the pile of spare
parts, etc., when get a chance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/12/2011 10:03 AM, JIMMIE wrote:
On Oct 11, 6:49 pm, Jeremy wrote:
I have a few old doorknobs that can use a new spindle,the problem is
what kind of thread is used on the spindle,the threads on most of the
door knobs are stripped, I've tried 3/8x30 nuts to check the spinle
threads,can't fit.The size of the spindle is 9/32 square bar/key stock

This is the only info I came up with

# Solid Steel Construction
# Standard 9/32" Thickness
# 20 Threads Per Inch

Is this the correct die or tap,it is used in the UK

9/32" X 20 TPI BSW

I would take it down to the local hardware store and find a nut that
fit. Running a hardened nut over it should clean up the threads. I
dont think you can use a regular die on square stock.

Jimmie

I've done it on square stock w/ rounded over corners, this for a latch
for a pickup truck camper shell. (apparently no replacements were
available in the configuration that I needed, but some were available
that could be modified to fit.)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.