Tony

Default Stripped Spindle Thread Help

I have a 1979 Chev K10 with front wheel locking hubs.

The locknut and spindle thread (at the outer edge) has been partially
stripped. The thread that is not damaged is still usable. I cannot
remove the inner adjusting not because of the stripped portion. I have
tried to grind the stripped thread away (protecting the good thread by
undoing the adjusting nut up to the stripped thread) using carbide
grinding bits. All I have achieved is destroying the bits and polishing
the stripped thread.

I cannot use a steel file because the access is limited.

How can I remove the stripped thread? I believe the spindle is forged
steel. I have contemplated using a cold steel chisel, but do not want
to attempt until I have more info on possible solutions.
Hoping someone can help
Regards
Tony

Waynemak

You will need to use some type of grinding tool, you can get a good clean
cut if careful. It sounds like getting in there with an angle grinder might
not be possible. Using a die grinder with a wheel that will get to where
you need might be hard and take some time to grind. That spindle is hard
stuff.
"Tony" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 1979 Chev K10 with front wheel locking hubs.

The locknut and spindle thread (at the outer edge) has been partially
stripped. The thread that is not damaged is still usable. I cannot
remove the inner adjusting not because of the stripped portion. I have
tried to grind the stripped thread away (protecting the good thread by
undoing the adjusting nut up to the stripped thread) using carbide
grinding bits. All I have achieved is destroying the bits and polishing
the stripped thread.

I cannot use a steel file because the access is limited.

How can I remove the stripped thread? I believe the spindle is forged
steel. I have contemplated using a cold steel chisel, but do not want
to attempt until I have more info on possible solutions.
Hoping someone can help
Regards
Tony

Tony

What type of wheel would u suggest. I have tried with the wheels I
have, but they are simply destroyed.

Phil Stein

On 12 Dec 2004 07:46:56 -0800, "Tony" wrote:

I have a 1979 Chev K10 with front wheel locking hubs.

The locknut and spindle thread (at the outer edge) has been partially
stripped. The thread that is not damaged is still usable. I cannot
remove the inner adjusting not because of the stripped portion. I have
tried to grind the stripped thread away (protecting the good thread by
undoing the adjusting nut up to the stripped thread) using carbide
grinding bits. All I have achieved is destroying the bits and polishing
the stripped thread.

I cannot use a steel file because the access is limited.

How can I remove the stripped thread? I believe the spindle is forged
steel. I have contemplated using a cold steel chisel, but do not want
to attempt until I have more info on possible solutions.
Hoping someone can help
Regards
Tony

I'd try using a Dremel tool with one of their cutoff wheels.
http://www.dremel.com/html/products/...s/cutting.html

If I understand what you have, this should work.

Make two cuts 180 degrees apart, most of the way through but not all
the way through so you don't damage your good threads. Then lightly
wack it with a chisel to break it the rest of the way through.
Harold & Susan Vordos

"Tony" wrote in message
oups.com...
What type of wheel would u suggest. I have tried with the wheels I
have, but they are simply destroyed.

Grinding wheels are made to run at a particular speed. When you run them too
slowly, they behave as if they're soft. Assuming you have 1" diameter
wheels, an acceptable speed to run them with success would be approximately
18,000 RPM. If you're running small wheels in a drill motor, I'd expect
them to slough away instead of grind well.

Harold

Tony

Tks everyone. I will try your advice.

Joe

What type of wheel would u suggest. I have tried with the wheels I
have, but they are simply destroyed.

Aluminum oxide will work or you have Kryptonite spindles...

I would assume the carbide was just breaking apart because of vibrations,
etc.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

Tony

I suspect you are right. Very difficult to gain access, so a steady
hand is required but very difficult to maintain. I also do not think I
am running the bit fast enough. Thanks for the input.

Joe AutoDrill

I suspect you are right. Very difficult to gain access, so a steady
hand is required but very difficult to maintain. I also do not think I
am running the bit fast enough. Thanks for the input.

No problem. Just let us now how it works out.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

Andrew Mawson

"Tony" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 1979 Chev K10 with front wheel locking hubs.

The locknut and spindle thread (at the outer edge) has been partially
stripped. The thread that is not damaged is still usable. I cannot
remove the inner adjusting not because of the stripped portion. I have
tried to grind the stripped thread away (protecting the good thread by
undoing the adjusting nut up to the stripped thread) using carbide
grinding bits. All I have achieved is destroying the bits and polishing
the stripped thread.

I cannot use a steel file because the access is limited.

How can I remove the stripped thread? I believe the spindle is forged
steel. I have contemplated using a cold steel chisel, but do not want
to attempt until I have more info on possible solutions.
Hoping someone can help
Regards
Tony

Dremel tool at very high speed with a suitable grind stone

AWEM