Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeremy Suarez Jeremy  Suarez is offline

Default DoorKnob Spindle thread?

On Oct 11, 5:49*pm, Jeremy Suarez wrote:
I have a few old doorknobs that can use a new spindle,the problem is
what kind of thread is used on the spindle,the threads on most of the
door knobs are stripped, I've tried 3/8x30 nuts to check the spinle
threads,can't fit.The size of the spindle is 9/32 square bar/key stock

This is the only info I came up with

* # Solid Steel Construction
# Standard 9/32" Thickness
# 20 Threads Per Inch

Is this the correct die or tap,it is used in the UK

9/32" X 20 TPI BSW

Just take the knob to a hardware store and see what size bolt/machine
screw fits the threads. That is the base size you need. If it isn't
available, get a threaded rod , put a nut or two on the rod and grind
it down so there is a flat for the knob setscrew, and thentake the nut
off over the area where you ground the flat. THe nut will rethread
the rod so the doorknob will go on. This is not rocket science here.

That is the problem,I've used the closest size,3/8x16,3/8x20 and
3/8x24 nothing doing