Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What type of screw?

Can somebody tell me what this type of screw is called? It came from
a Hard Drive caddie.The screw fits into a slot so the Hard Disk doesn't
move around,that is why the thread don't go all the way.Thanx

http://www.imagebam.com/image/73aa09151484111

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/28/11 01:22 pm, Alex Michael wrote:

Can somebody tell me what this type of screw is called? It came from
a Hard Drive caddie.The screw fits into a slot so the Hard Disk doesn't
move around,that is why the thread don't go all the way.Thanx

http://www.imagebam.com/image/73aa09151484111

Shoulder screw.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-09-28, Alex Michael wrote:
Can somebody tell me what this type of screw is called? It came from
a Hard Drive caddie.The screw fits into a slot so the Hard Disk doesn't
move around,that is why the thread don't go all the way.Thanx

http://www.imagebam.com/image/73aa09151484111

Lord only knows. Some kinda hex/phillips (guessing) head washered
shouldered cap screw ....ISO!. Whatever it is, probably not a
standard fastener. You might find a replacement from your local
small computer repair shop. Also try googling for "computer
fasteners" (no quotes) and throw in "standoff" for grins.

nb

--
vi ....the heart of evil!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 13:22:39 -0400, Alex Michael wrote:

Can somebody tell me what this type of screw is called? It came from
a Hard Drive caddie.The screw fits into a slot so the Hard Disk doesn't
move around,that is why the thread don't go all the way.Thanx

http://www.imagebam.com/image/73aa09151484111

Shoulder screw.

Right column:
http://www.accuratescrew.com/Other-Screws.aspx
Posted to alt.home.repair

Alex Michael wrote in news:mn.e3227db94fd19b9d.119573
@gmail.com:

Can somebody tell me what this type of screw is called? It came from
a Hard Drive caddie.The screw fits into a slot so the Hard Disk doesn't
move around,that is why the thread don't go all the way.Thanx

http://www.imagebam.com/image/73aa09151484111

A type of axle screw is one app of many.

http://www.firstchoicebuildingproducts.com/axle.aspx

Is it an official name? Dunno.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 28, 1:52*pm, Red Green wrote:
Alex Michael wrote in news:mn.e3227db94fd19b9d.119573
@gmail.com:

Can somebody tell me what this type of screw is called? It came from
a Hard Drive caddie.The screw fits into a slot so the Hard Disk doesn't
move around,that is why the thread don't go all the way.Thanx

http://www.imagebam.com/image/73aa09151484111

A type of axle screw is one app of many.

http://www.firstchoicebuildingproducts.com/axle.aspx

Is it an official name? Dunno.

I could be wrong, but I think the shaft of an "axle screw" is the same
diameter for it's entire length (both the threaded and unthreaded
portions) while a "shoulder screw" has a wider unthreaded portion,
thus the name "shoulder".

Coincidentally, I just finished using a rented power snake where the
"axle screw" that holds the head on was in such bad shape that I had
to use vise grips to get it out so I could put on a cutting head.
They're getting it back with a extra long fully threaded bolt 'cuz
that's the first thing I could find with matching threads. I'll give
them back their beat up axle screw also so they don't charge me for
"damaging" their equipment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Can somebody tell me what this type of screw is called? It came from
a Hard Drive caddie.The screw fits into a slot so the Hard Disk doesn't
move around,that is why the thread don't go all the way.Thanx

http://www.imagebam.com/image/73aa09151484111

Looks like a "Dell" part.

Look for a PC screw assortment from one of the hardware outfits. They
will usually sell you a bag of screws for a few bucks with a bunch of
each type you find in PCs. That one is a 6-32 shoulder screw.
The finer thread ones like you see in diskette drives and CDROMs are
commie metric.
If you only need a couple I can mail you some.

Yes it is from a Dell Optiplex745,I checked the Dell site first before
I posted this message no luck. Last night I went back to work on the
computer and surprize,they have four of those screws on the dummy cover
for the disket drive,Thanks for your offer now I have enough screws.One
more thing,I know it is a 6-32 thread,but what are the correct
measurements?