Posted to alt.home.repair

Default diagnosis of bathroom ceiling leak

Water was leaking from upstairs bathroom into the one below.
We ran the shower/tub water, the sink, the toilet. No leak.
The plumber thinks it is because of defective caulk in the
tub. I hope he is right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

cycjec wrote the following:
Water was leaking from upstairs bathroom into the one below.
We ran the shower/tub water, the sink, the toilet. No leak.
The plumber thinks it is because of defective caulk in the
tub. I hope he is right.

It can also be from the plumbing in the wall.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 23, 7:33*am, willshak wrote:
cycjec wrote the following:

Water was leaking from upstairs bathroom into the one below.
We ran the shower/tub water, the sink, the toilet. No leak.
The plumber thinks it is because of defective caulk in the
tub. I hope he is right.

It can also be from the plumbing in the wall.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

or the weight of standing in the tub causing the leak.

if caulk does not fix it tear down the cieling and take a look
Posted to alt.home.repair

cycjec wrote the following:

Water was leaking from upstairs bathroom into the one below.
We ran the shower/tub water, the sink, the toilet. No leak.
The plumber thinks it is because of defective caulk in the
tub. I hope he is right.

It can also be from the plumbing in the wall.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

or the weight of standing in the tub causing the leak.

if caulk does not fix it tear down the cieling and take a look

Is the upstairs bathroom used regularly? If so the caulk is a
possibility.
Posted to alt.home.repair

cycjec wrote the following:

Water was leaking from upstairs bathroom into the one below.
We ran the shower/tub water, the sink, the toilet. No leak.
The plumber thinks it is because of defective caulk in the
tub. I hope he is right.

It can also be from the plumbing in the wall.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

or the weight of standing in the tub causing the leak.

Yep. I had that problem in my previous house. I couldn't find the leak until
one day I decided to look (I had the ceiling torn out already) when SWMBO was
taking a shower.

if caulk does not fix it tear down the cieling and take a look

Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
cycjec wrote the following:
Water was leaking from upstairs bathroom into the one below.
We ran the shower/tub water, the sink, the toilet. No leak.
The plumber thinks it is because of defective caulk in the
tub. I hope he is right.

It can also be from the plumbing in the wall.

Or, from where the shower faucet(s) go through the wall if not caulked well.
Or, from the tub overflow, if that connection is loose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cycjec wrote:
Water was leaking from upstairs bathroom into the one below.
We ran the shower/tub water, the sink, the toilet. No leak.
The plumber thinks it is because of defective caulk in the
tub. I hope he is right.

Hi,
Did you use coloring agent when checking?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 23, 10:43*am, Tony Hwang wrote:
cycjec wrote:
Water was leaking from upstairs bathroom into the one below.
We ran the shower/tub water, the sink, the toilet. No leak.
The plumber thinks it is because of defective caulk in the
tub. I hope he is right.

Hi,
Did you use coloring agent when checking?

the best way is tear down the already damaged cieling, it may uncover
more than one issue........
Posted to alt.home.repair

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Yep. I had that problem in my previous house. I couldn't find the
leak until one day I decided to look (I had the ceiling torn out
already) when SWMBO was taking a shower.

I could never understand that mindset.*

Oh, I suppose looking at a lady in the shower is better than nothing, but if
it's *MY* SWMBO - and I had an urgent need - I'd get in the shower with her!

------
Story:

A small town's police picked up a juvenile Peeping Tom. Discovering the
offense was outside the city limits, the police department called us (I was
a deputy sheriff).

This small-town police station was in a shopping center. Behind the station
was a parking area for four cars, behind that, and alley and on the other
side of the alley, a small rent-house in the backyard of a larger house
facing on the next block.

As we're smoozing with the dispatcher, a detective comes in and says "Hey,
you guys, you've got to see this!"

We adjourn to the parking area.

This rent house had a giant shop fan mounted in the bedroom window. In the
bedroom was a young couple making a vigorous beast-with-two-backs! And we
could see everything through the blades of the slow-moving fan and the
bright illumination in the bedroom.

It wasn't long until the couple finished their romp and, with the show over,
we four cops went back inside. As we passed the interrogation room where the
young man was waiting for his parents, my partner squint-eyed the kid and
said: "Goddamn pervert!"

Oh well...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dont mess with it..remove ceiling and check or replace everything.
I had an 1-1/4 copper tubing disintegrate from age, repaired that then 1
year later another drain flooded...final outcome..
replaced everything under bathroom floor, before installing a new
ceiling....

On 9/23/2011 1:59 AM, cycjec wrote:
Water was leaking from upstairs bathroom into the one below.
We ran the shower/tub water, the sink, the toilet. No leak.
The plumber thinks it is because of defective caulk in the
tub. I hope he is right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jamesgangnc wrote:
Is the upstairs bathroom used regularly? If so the caulk is a
possibility.

Yes. But the leak doesn't seem to correlate with usage. It happens
at odd times.

I think everyone is right who said "take the ceiling" down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
Did you use coloring agent when checking?

An excellent idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

jimmy wrote:
dont mess with it..remove ceiling and check or replace everything.
I had an 1-1/4 copper tubing disintegrate from age, repaired that then 1
year later another drain flooded...final outcome..
replaced everything under bathroom floor, before installing a new
ceiling....

The plumbing here has had several half hearted repairs by the
previous landlord. [One of these involved wrapping a pipe
in blue goo; I demurred and was told to mind my own business]

Thanks to all who replied.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 25, 5:00*am, wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
Did you use coloring agent when checking?

An excellent idea.

When you check for leaks in a shower or tub you have to
duplicate the usage pattern...

Just running the water won't tell you if the leak is coming
from there...

~~ Evan