Posted to alt.home.repair

Default queries

Doing the 2nd coat of Minwax Polyshades "Honey Pine" I discovered
there was *lots* of dark dark sooty stuff in the can. Looks like
a batch mixup to me.

The liquid in the can of Klean-Strip Mineral Spirits was clear.
That in the bigger plastic tote bottle of Klean-Strip Mineral
Spirits is milky. It seems to be cleaning the brush off fine
though.

I'm not sure if I can use the dark polyurethane to cover some
blank floor spots (that were missed a while back NOT by me)

FYI the General Coatings* enamel paint says "ready to use, no
thinning needed" but it needed it.

* I think that's the brand. The paint is covering a lot of the
label.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 9/22/2011 7:22 PM, cycjec wrote:
Doing the 2nd coat of Minwax Polyshades "Honey Pine" I discovered
there was *lots* of dark dark sooty stuff in the can. Looks like
a batch mixup to me.

No, you just didn't have it stirred up well to begin with (or let it
settle out)...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why are people incapable of formulating useful subject lines? (was:queries)

cycjec wrote:

(questions about Minwax and Klean-Strip spirits)

Well, look at that.

Wouldn't that have made a useful subject line?

Subject: Questions about Minwax and Klean-Strip spirits

Why is it that formulating useful subject lines for usenet posts and
e-mails is a lost art?
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
On 9/22/2011 7:22 PM, cycjec wrote:
Doing the 2nd coat of Minwax Polyshades "Honey Pine" I discovered
there was *lots* of dark dark sooty stuff in the can. Looks like
a batch mixup to me.

No, you just didn't have it stirred up well to begin with (or let it
settle out)...

You are probably right, thanks.

I did read the directions. It didn't say to stir it. Nor did the book
that I have. I tried the stirred up stuff on a test board. It's tolerable.
I guess I wanted no-stain polyurethant
Posted to alt.home.repair

Home Guy wrote:
Why is it that formulating useful subject lines for usenet posts and
e-mails is a lost art?

Sorry, really.

Maybe it's all those cryptic one-off blog post titles. I read
them but I don't blog myself.

Also I realize I've gotten into the habit with some correspondents
of using really vague e-mail Subject headers, for reasons that
are too long to go into here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 23, 1:55*am, wrote:
dpb wrote:
On 9/22/2011 7:22 PM, cycjec wrote:
Doing the 2nd coat of Minwax Polyshades "Honey Pine" I discovered
there was *lots* of dark dark sooty stuff in the can. *Looks like
a batch mixup to me.

No, you just didn't have it stirred up well to begin with (or let it
settle out)...

You are probably right, thanks.

I did read the directions. It didn't say to stir it. Nor did the book
that I have. I tried the stirred up stuff on a test board. It's tolerable..
I guess I wanted no-stain polyurethant

I tried the stained poly myself once. It was ok but I didn't use it
again. I prefer to control my stain coat to get the desired results
and then seal with clear.
Posted to alt.home.repair

cycjec wrote:

Why is it that formulating useful subject lines for usenet posts
and e-mails is a lost art?

Also I realize I've gotten into the habit with some correspondents
of using really vague e-mail Subject headers

I manage the mail server at my $dayjob, so I get to see the full headers
of all the direct-to-mx spam that our domain gets before it's forwarded
through Gmail to be filtered and forwarded back to us (a neat little
spam-filtering trick).

I see lots of spam mail that has subjects like "Important" or "Please
read" or "Question", and I just shake my head when people use those same
words and phrases for legit e-mail.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Home Guy" wrote in message

Why is it that formulating useful subject lines for usenet posts and
e-mails is a lost art?

The posters are children or not yet intellectually mature...

"The generalizing ability of children"

"Illinois State Normal University Studied the generalizing ability of
children of varying age groups... ...It was found that there was an
increase in the number of generalizations per question with age. The
younger children tended to select sentences from the text, while the
older children gave the essence of the text in their own words.
Younger children gave a lesser number of generalizations."

Above from...
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...22066307603845

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Home Guy" wrote in message ...
cycjec wrote:

(questions about Minwax and Klean-Strip spirits)

Well, look at that.

Wouldn't that have made a useful subject line?

Why is it that formulating useful subject lines for usenet posts and
e-mails is a lost art?

Dear Whatever:

I notice you have taken to task a writer about whether or not a post is on
topic, is spelled correctly, or is correct in some other minute detail.

I would like to inform you that the post of Netnanny is already filled. It
is held by Newton Fillmore, of Pacoima, California, although Mr. Fillmore is
currently in a coma in a facility in Riverside, and has been for three
years, eight months now. We just could not bring ourselves to demote him
without a proper hearing and him being present.

Please be advised that there are currently over 500 applicants and wannabes
for the position. That does not include people like yourself who have
broken with protocol and currently act like they are in the cherished
position.

If and when and if ever the post becomes available, you will be required to
write an essay of no longer than 1500 words, single spaced, using the words
there, they're, their, your, you're, and any others you can come up with in
as many incorrect grammatical situations as possible.

You must also describe the difference between "lose" and "loose" in 25 words
or less.

You must also include the reason that you think entitles you the lifelong
right to hold this post, and review the rest of humanity on its daily
heretofore
unobserved unsupervised act of Usenet Posting.

Steve
3rd Poohbah and Grand Mucky Muck
of the Society of Netnannies.

Addended by 4/19/2011

You forgot three of my favorites, its and it's, lightning and
lightening, and to, too and two

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why are some people irritated because other people don't do things

Beats me!

Maybe I'll stop traveling and go out and get a proper newsreader so I
can investigate the phenomenon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why are some people irritated because other people don't do

Heck, you guys have me beat. I thought we were going to argue Don't
Ask, Don't Tell.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

Why is it that formulating useful subject lines for usenet posts
and e-mails is a lost art?

I notice you have taken to task a writer about whether or not a post
is on topic

I don't believe I've ever made it an issue here or pointed out when a
post is off-topic,

is spelled correctly

nor that

or is correct in some other minute detail.

And I notice how you escalate an issue by using hyperbole and
exaggeration.

The OP himself admits that his subject line could have (or even should
have) been better.

I would like to inform you that the post of Netnanny is already
filled.

I hope you enjoy being satisfied by mediocrity and the status quo.

Pointing out when things can be done better, improved, is no crime.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Home Guy" wrote in message ...
Steve B wrote:

Why is it that formulating useful subject lines for usenet posts
and e-mails is a lost art?

I notice you have taken to task a writer about whether or not a post
is on topic

I don't believe I've ever made it an issue here or pointed out when a
post is off-topic,

is spelled correctly

nor that

or is correct in some other minute detail.

And I notice how you escalate an issue by using hyperbole and
exaggeration.

The OP himself admits that his subject line could have (or even should
have) been better.

I would like to inform you that the post of Netnanny is already
filled.

I hope you enjoy being satisfied by mediocrity and the status quo.

Pointing out when things can be done better, improved, is no crime.

Yes, your Highness..............

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Badgers and artgum erasers. Was: Why are people incapable...

Home Guy wrote:
cycjec wrote:

(questions about Minwax and Klean-Strip spirits)

Well, look at that.

Wouldn't that have made a useful subject line?

Why is it that formulating useful subject lines for usenet posts and
e-mails is a lost art?

It's not a lost art. Most obscure subject headings are designed that way.
Partly to excite the curiosity of the reader but mostly to cause the heads
of pedantic fuddy-duddies to explode.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Home Guy wrote:
cycjec wrote:

(questions about Minwax and Klean-Strip spirits)

Well, look at that.

Wouldn't that have made a useful subject line?

Why is it that formulating useful subject lines for usenet posts and
e-mails is a lost art?

Blame google , those nitwits use header and text area as a running
discussion area, like they are twittering or something.

hydraulic queries Karl Townsend Metalworking 14 November 13th 10 04:51 PM
damp queries Tim Smith[_2_] UK diy 4 February 7th 08 10:28 AM
Electrical queries MisterP UK diy 6 June 24th 07 10:38 PM
newbie saw queries Contrarian Woodworking 9 December 20th 05 06:43 PM
A few rewiring queries Lobster UK diy 30 May 5th 05 09:56 AM