Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repair/Remove vinyl siding

Anybody got some tips on removing vinyl siding?

Detached 2-car garage with Ga. Pacific vinyl siding from the 90's. I need
to replace an outside corner post and some j-channel.

Got the Kobalt siding removal tool from HD. Managed to loosen one of the
long siding segments with, like, a starter slit on the end, but couldn't
get the tool started on any other pieces.

Any tips/tricks for getting the siding segments loose??

Thx,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man writes:

Anybody got some tips on removing vinyl siding?

Detached 2-car garage with Ga. Pacific vinyl siding from the 90's. I need
to replace an outside corner post and some j-channel.

Got the Kobalt siding removal tool from HD. Managed to loosen one of the
long siding segments with, like, a starter slit on the end, but couldn't
get the tool started on any other pieces.

Any tips/tricks for getting the siding segments loose??

Siding is installed from the bottom up.
One you get one segment out, removing lower segments should be as easy
as prying out the nails.

It's not 100% necessary to start at the top. A little brute force
can do wonders.

Warm days help too.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 18, 10:05*pm, Puddin' Man wrote:

Anybody got some tips on removing vinyl siding?

Detached 2-car garage with Ga. Pacific vinyl siding from the 90's. I need
to replace an outside corner post and some j-channel.

Got the Kobalt siding removal tool from HD. Managed to loosen one of the
long siding segments with, like, a starter slit on the end, but couldn't
get the tool started on any other pieces.

Any tips/tricks for getting the siding segments loose??

Google and YouTube are your friends.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bh7tHkZBMs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 11:18:51 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour wrote:

Google and YouTube are your friends.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bh7tHkZBMs

It *was* worth watching, but ...

He got to the part where using the special tool to start removal,
took a few stabs at it, failed to detach, and said "So much
for that!". His demo proceeded from using the screwdriver, which
I may or may-not be able to replicate.

It was the special tool that I had the problem with.

Thx,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 12:23*pm, Puddin' Man wrote:
On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 11:18:51 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour wrote:
Google and YouTube are your friends.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bh7tHkZBMs

It *was* worth watching, but ...

He got to the part where using the special tool to start removal,
took a few stabs at it, failed to detach, and said "So much
for that!". His demo proceeded from using the screwdriver, which
I may or may-not be able to replicate.

It was the special tool that I had the problem with.

Okay. I didn't watch the whole thing. I was primarily trying to show
you that for such searches videos are more helpful when learning a
technique. Check the related videos.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man writes:

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 11:18:51 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour wrote:

Google and YouTube are your friends.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bh7tHkZBMs

It *was* worth watching, but ...

He got to the part where using the special tool to start removal,
took a few stabs at it, failed to detach, and said "So much
for that!". His demo proceeded from using the screwdriver, which
I may or may-not be able to replicate.

It was the special tool that I had the problem with.

He's trying to make the point that the special tool is unnecessary.
Or maybe useless is more to the point.

There's no trick to it. Vinyl is snapped together then nailed
loosely. You can take it apart with your bare hands but a little
persistence (as demonstrated) is required.

He got in there and unsnapped the 2 pieces at an edge.
Once he had a little
opening to work with the rest was easy.

I'd say the most important aspect to doing this is a warm (or hot)
day.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 1:05*pm, wrote:
Puddin' Man writes:
RicodJour wrote:

[...]

With an adequate supply of cold beer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man wrote the following:
On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 11:18:51 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour wrote:

Google and YouTube are your friends.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bh7tHkZBMs

It *was* worth watching, but ...

He got to the part where using the special tool to start removal,
took a few stabs at it, failed to detach, and said "So much
for that!". His demo proceeded from using the screwdriver, which
I may or may-not be able to replicate.

I have the tool. I have removed my vinyl siding for a number of things.
Once just to hide some cable TV wires going to the pool house from the
house (some guests like to watch sports when their kids are swimming).
He doesn't know how to use the tool.
You start at one end and pull down on the tab and just pull the tool
along the seam like it was a zipper pull. It's called "unzipping the
sidings". He made it look so difficult with the tool. It is not.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour writes:

G On Sep 20, 1:05Â*pm, wrote:
Puddin' Man writes:
RicodJour wrote:

Google and YouTube are your friends.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bh7tHkZBMs

It *was* worth watching, but ...

He got to the part where using the special tool to start removal,
took a few stabs at it, failed to detach, and said "So much
for that!". His demo proceeded from using the screwdriver, which
I may or may-not be able to replicate.

It was the special tool that I had the problem with.

He's trying to make the point that the special tool is unnecessary.
Or maybe useless is more to the point.

There's no trick to it. Â*Vinyl is snapped together then nailed
loosely. Â*You can take it apart with your bare hands but a little
persistence (as demonstrated) is required.

He got in there and unsnapped the 2 pieces at an edge.
Once he had a little
opening to work with the rest was easy.

I'd say the most important aspect to doing this is a warm (or hot)
day.

With an adequate supply of cold beer.

That's like pointing out you need breathable air too.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 21, 12:57*pm, wrote:
RicodJour writes:
On Sep 20, 1:05*pm, wrote:
Puddin' Man writes:

He got in there and unsnapped the 2 pieces at an edge.
Once he had a little
opening to work with the rest was easy.

I'd say the most important aspect to doing this is a warm (or hot)
day.

With an adequate supply of cold beer.

That's like pointing out you need breathable air too.

If you're suggesting that beer and air are equally necessary, let me
buy you a drink.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 19:04:05 -0400, willshak wrote:

He doesn't know how to use the tool.

At the very least, he "ain't expert!". Rest of the video was
pretty good.

You start at one end and pull down on the tab and just pull the tool
along the seam like it was a zipper pull. It's called "unzipping the
sidings". He made it look so difficult with the tool. It is not.

I got some short segments ( 12") that *are* difficult.

Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair

m...
wrote:

[...]

Amen! You hit that nail right on the head.

And if the OP can not afford $6 or less for the tool he should sell the
house cause he is doomed to fail as an owner. Or maybe he could borrow
granny's crochet hook which would do the same job.

Of course if he breaks the crochet hook that will cost more to replace than
the tool costs.

--
Colbyt

Repair vinyl siding corner post Puddin' Man Home Repair 3 August 3rd 11 07:43 PM
Whats a good product to spray on house vinyl siding to remove greenmold and keep it off ? [email protected][_2_] Home Repair 8 January 19th 10 03:40 PM
Soft siding behind deck leger board-remove-repair? casey@thebat Home Repair 4 March 20th 06 02:22 AM
Vinyl Siding repair Jon G Home Repair 10 October 21st 05 03:43 PM
Styrofoam Between Present T1-11 Siding & New Vinyl Siding: Worth It ? Robert11 Home Repair 7 January 25th 05 12:42 AM