Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - CFL's, The China Syndrome

Time for another porking from China.

BEIJING - In the name of fighting pollution, China has sent the price of
compact fluorescent light bulbs soaring in the United States.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/China-....html?x=0&.v=1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/16/2011 6:48 PM, Red Green wrote:
Time for another porking from China.

BEIJING - In the name of fighting pollution, China has sent the price of
compact fluorescent light bulbs soaring in the United States.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/China-....html?x=0&.v=1

Yahoo article has glaring error. I think their quote for a single bulb
is actually for a 4 pack. Plus, 40 watt cfl's cost about 3 times that
of 60 watt.

Th GE coffee analogy is downright stupid. Just because one minor
component is inflated, that does not mean price increase would apply to
the whole package.

GE used to make good products but I understand GE now stands for Good
Enough, as the product will only last as long as the warranty.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yahoo article has glaring error. *I think their quote for a single bulb
is actually for a 4 pack. *

3 pack of decorative bulbs. No mention in the article of what they
used to cost, but they're over 3 times the price of spiral "40W" CFL's
on HD's site...

Plus, 40 watt cfl's cost about 3 times that
of 60 watt.

On HD's site, 60's are $6.50 for a 4 pack vs. $5.90 for 40's. (For the
cheap, spirals.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 16, 11:48*pm, Red Green wrote:
Time for another porking from China.

BEIJING - In the name of fighting pollution, China has sent the price of
compact fluorescent light bulbs soaring in the United States.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/China-...n-nytimes-2650...

I think the issue is more about rare earths used in them. There is a
world shortage apparently
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote in
:

On 9/16/2011 6:48 PM, Red Green wrote:
Time for another porking from China.

BEIJING - In the name of fighting pollution, China has sent the price
of compact fluorescent light bulbs soaring in the United States.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/China-...-nytimes-26501
44197.html?x=0&.v=1

Yahoo article has glaring error. I think their quote for a single
bulb is actually for a 4 pack. Plus, 40 watt cfl's cost about 3 times
that of 60 watt.

Th GE coffee analogy is downright stupid. Just because one minor
component is inflated, that does not mean price increase would apply
to the whole package.

Yea I thought that was mighty stupid too.

GE used to make good products but I understand GE now stands for Good
Enough, as the product will only last as long as the warranty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote in news:8c239ec5-0a7d-4856-81f7-
:

On Sep 16, 11:48*pm, Red Green wrote:
Time for another porking from China.

BEIJING - In the name of fighting pollution, China has sent the price of
compact fluorescent light bulbs soaring in the United States.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/China-...n-nytimes-2650...

I think the issue is more about rare earths used in them. There is a
world shortage apparently

My thoughts are the mandates in the US (and other places) for the CFL's and
95% of the basics for it dependents on a foreign country like China - What
were they thinking.

While the rare earths may make up a very small percentage of the overall
package, 100% of the package is affected.

Maybe I'm missing something?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 16, 5:48 pm, Red Green wrote:
Time for another porking from China.

BEIJING - In the name of fighting pollution, China has sent the price of
compact fluorescent light bulbs soaring in the United States.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/China-...n-nytimes-2650...

Andy comments:

I don't know squat about light bulb pollution, but I know a lot
about
light bulb prices...

I can buy a 4 pack of incandescents for about a dollar at a LOT of
places.

I can buy a 4 pack of 60w CFLs for about $5 at Home Depot.....

I have used the Home Depot CFLs throughout my house, and others, to
replace incandescents in the places they are most useful....

A few dollars for everwhere in the house they are needed. I'll
probably save
it in a year just on electric. I don't have to worry about the wife
turning off
the lights when she leaves the room....

I can light my entire attic, about 5000 sq ft, for the same
current that it
would take for 2 of the 100 watt bulbs, and if I forget to turn it
off
overnight, I don't go bankrupt..... and I don't have to install any
additional
circuit breakers or increase the wiring infrastructure...

So, while I ABSOLUTELY HATE the government telling me what to do
in my house.... once I tried it, I really like it.......

..... and I am looking forward very much in them telling me what other
crap I have to do........ I'll try it, and, maybe , I'll like that ,
also.....

The flush toilet thing, after 10 years, finally turned out OK.......
With the
increase in food prices, I find out that the toilets seem to flush
better......

:)))) Andy in Eureka, Texas
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 9:11*am, Red Green wrote:
While the rare earths may make up a very small percentage of the overall
package, 100% of the package is affected.

Maybe I'm missing something?

He meant that if the rare-earths made up one percent of the cost of
the bulb originally, a 1000% percent increase in their cost only means
a 10% increase in the cost of the bulb. (By using an analogy about a
1000% price increase in an end product rather than a small component,
the article suggested that the cost of bulbs had increased
dramatically.)

No, I don't know what percentage of the cost really is rare-earths and
the article didn't speculate, but I bet it's not a lot. I'm sure it's
much more meaningful in things like windmills with huge rare-earth
magnets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/17/2011 1:40 PM, Larry Fishel wrote:
On Sep 17, 9:11 am, Red wrote:
While the rare earths may make up a very small percentage of the overall
package, 100% of the package is affected.

Maybe I'm missing something?

He meant that if the rare-earths made up one percent of the cost of
the bulb originally, a 1000% percent increase in their cost only means
a 10% increase in the cost of the bulb. (By using an analogy about a
1000% price increase in an end product rather than a small component,
the article suggested that the cost of bulbs had increased
dramatically.)

No, I don't know what percentage of the cost really is rare-earths and
the article didn't speculate, but I bet it's not a lot. I'm sure it's
much more meaningful in things like windmills with huge rare-earth
magnets.

Wiki has a good article. Chinese got monopoly by undercutting prices
but they don't have but maybe 37% of the worlds supply and their price
increase will bring others back on line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare_earth_element

China Syndrome [email protected] UK diy 1 September 6th 08 05:02 PM
China Syndrome Rod UK diy 2 September 6th 08 03:55 PM
China Syndrome Alan UK diy 0 September 6th 08 01:22 AM
CFL's and dimming [email protected] Home Ownership 7 January 28th 06 05:00 PM
dimmable cfl's ? Ken Weitzel Electronics Repair 5 May 10th 05 02:40 AM