Ken Weitzel

Default dimmable cfl's ?

Hi...

Anyone happen to know what the diff is between
dimmable cfl's and the regular ones?

Friend has a chandelier with half a dozen bulbs in
it, and would like to use cfl's. Confusion is that
the dimmable ones cost about 4 times as much, and
regular ones work real real wierd

Thanks, and take care.

Ken

James Sweet

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message

Hi...

Anyone happen to know what the diff is between
dimmable cfl's and the regular ones?

Friend has a chandelier with half a dozen bulbs in
it, and would like to use cfl's. Confusion is that
the dimmable ones cost about 4 times as much, and
regular ones work real real wierd

Thanks, and take care.

Ken

If you look up ballast controller chips and look at the datasheets you'll
see the difference. The dimmable ones are quite a bit more complex, they use
a somewhat different power supply design and they provide a separate voltage
to keep the cathodes in the tube heated when the tube is dimmed. I have a
few and they're mediocre, they're large and clunky and flicker if you dim
them too far but they worked ok in the rec room in the last house I lived
in. In the one light in my house that's on a dimmer now I use incandescent
lamps, it's not on very much anyway.

CJT

Ken Weitzel wrote:

Hi...

Anyone happen to know what the diff is between
dimmable cfl's and the regular ones?

Friend has a chandelier with half a dozen bulbs in
it, and would like to use cfl's. Confusion is that
the dimmable ones cost about 4 times as much, and
regular ones work real real wierd

That's the difference.

Thanks, and take care.

Ken

NSM

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message

Hi...

Anyone happen to know what the diff is between
dimmable cfl's and the regular ones?

Friend has a chandelier with half a dozen bulbs in
it, and would like to use cfl's. Confusion is that
the dimmable ones cost about 4 times as much, and
regular ones work real real wierd

Use incandescents. 10 for a dollar at the dollar store. CFL's are fine for
on off - a bad choice for dimming.

Asimov

"NSM" bravely wrote to "All" (09 May 05 01:34:29)
--- on the heady topic of " dimmable cfl's ?"

NS From: "NSM"
NS Xref: aeinews sci.electronics.repair:47659

NS "Ken Weitzel" wrote in message
NS news:52sfe.1279990$Xk.373708@pd7tw3no...

Hi...

Anyone happen to know what the diff is between
dimmable cfl's and the regular ones?

Friend has a chandelier with half a dozen bulbs in
it, and would like to use cfl's. Confusion is that
the dimmable ones cost about 4 times as much, and
regular ones work real real wierd

NS Use incandescents. 10 for a dollar at the dollar store. CFL's are fine
NS for on off - a bad choice for dimming.

BTW dollar store cfl's have appreciable QRM.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... [] - Please write your complaint legibly in that box.

NSM

"Asimov" wrote in message

BTW dollar store cfl's have appreciable QRM.

I don't doubt it. They also don't like low temps and have a crappy
phosphor - but what do you expect for a buck?

BTW, I just found 4 X DVD-Rs with full jewel case in my local store!