Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cover exterior foundation with XPS insulation

My new addition foundation is insulated from exterior with 2" XPS
sheets glued to the foundation. How do I cover these sheets to finish
the foundation? The foundation is moistly below grade with between 1'
and 2' above the grade. It is already back filled so I do not have
access to entire perimeter down to footings.

I did some google search and found Foundation Coating Cement. I have
never heard of it before. The house will have hardi board siding.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 09:39:36 -0700 (PDT), ls02
wrote:

My new addition foundation is insulated from exterior with 2" XPS
sheets glued to the foundation. How do I cover these sheets to finish
the foundation? The foundation is moistly below grade with between 1'
and 2' above the grade. It is already back filled so I do not have
access to entire perimeter down to footings.

I did some google search and found Foundation Coating Cement. I have
never heard of it before. The house will have hardi board siding.

Stucco is often used for this. Has to be flashed carefully, and if
there are termites in your area you will need a termite barrier.

HTH,

Paul F.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My new addition foundation is insulated from exterior with 2" XPS
sheets glued to the foundation. How do I cover these sheets to finish
the foundation? The foundation is moistly below grade with between 1'
and 2' above the grade. It is already back filled so I do not have
access to entire perimeter down to footings.

I did some google search and found Foundation Coating Cement. I have
never heard of it before. The house will have hardi board siding.

Stucco is often used for this. Has to be flashed carefully, and if
there are termites in your area you will need a termite barrier.

HTH,

Paul F.

It's generally referred to as "pargeing"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My new addition foundation is insulated from exterior with 2" XPS
sheets glued to the foundation. How do I cover these sheets to finish
the foundation? The foundation is moistly below grade with between 1'
and 2' above the grade. It is already back filled so I do not have
access to entire perimeter down to footings.

I did some google search and found Foundation Coating Cement. I have
never heard of it before. The house will have hardi board siding.

Stucco is often used for this. *Has to be flashed carefully, and if
there are termites in your area you will need a termite barrier.

Termites and carpenter ants love chewing on foam insulation. If the
existing rigid insulation foam isn't treated with insecticide a
termite barrier won't help much. Burying an end of the untreated
stuff is shooting yourself in the foot. The OP has to determine
exactly what foam was used and make sure he's not covering up a future
big problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I do not have termites in my house. For 10 years I live in it I never
saw a single termite.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Termites do not come from inside the house, muchacho. They live in
subterranean hives. The hives can be many yards down and many yards
away from your house.

Code requires a concrete foundation have 8" exposure above grade -
some codes require 6", IIRC. One of the primary reasons for this is
so that the termite mud tubes (which they build to protect themselves
from drying out when they're not undercover) will be noticeable.

Having buried foam provides termites an easily chewable, ready-made
mud tube replacement that would hide termite activity.

Perhaps one of the reasons you haven't had termites is that you
haven't extended the buried big pink foam insulation welcome mat.

I find it most curious that you decided to comment on your termite-
free house history (to the best of your knowledge), instead of whether
the foundation foam on your addition is treated or not. Is it?

Do yourself the favor and Google it - foam insulation foundation
termites carpenter ants.