Posted to alt.home.repair
ls02 ls02 is offline

Default Cover exterior foundation with XPS insulation

On Sep 16, 9:12*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Sep 16, 2:55*pm, Paul Franklin
wrote:

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 09:39:36 -0700 (PDT), ls02
wrote:

My new addition foundation is insulated from exterior with 2" XPS
sheets glued to the foundation. How do I cover these sheets to finish
the foundation? The foundation is moistly below grade with between 1'
and 2' above the grade. It is already back filled so I do not have
access to entire perimeter down to footings.

I did some google search and found Foundation Coating Cement. I have
never heard of it before. The house will have hardi board siding.

Stucco is often used for this. *Has to be flashed carefully, and if
there are termites in your area you will need a termite barrier.

Termites and carpenter ants love chewing on foam insulation. *If the
existing rigid insulation foam isn't treated with insecticide a
termite barrier won't help much. *Burying an end of the untreated
stuff is shooting yourself in the foot. *The OP has to determine
exactly what foam was used and make sure he's not covering up a future
big problem.

I do not have termites in my house. For 10 years I live in it I never
saw a single termite.