Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Anyone put a variable control into a Broan Vented Stove fan?

I would be interested in knowing the success or failure of someone taking out the Off-Lo-Hi switch in a Broan over the oven hood/fan to allow variable control of the fan and hopefully lower the noise level? Will a dining room light Leviton or Smith and Stone dimmer work? Thanks in advance
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug G" wrote in message
I would be interested in knowing the success or failure of someone taking
out the Off-Lo-Hi switch in a Broan over the oven hood/fan to allow
variable control of the fan and hopefully lower the noise level? Will a
dining room light Leviton or Smith and Stone dimmer work? Thanks in
advance

If it is already too loud on low, it will be too loud with a variable speed
switch. Think of it as variable noise. I'd try the dimmer, just be sure it
is rated for the motor load.

The ideal solution, of course, it to get a unit with the motor mounted on
the outside wall and just a duct indoors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/15/2011 9:49 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Doug G" wrote in message

I would be interested in knowing the success or failure of someone
taking out the Off-Lo-Hi switch in a Broan over the oven hood/fan to
allow variable control of the fan and hopefully lower the noise level?
Will a dining room light Leviton or Smith and Stone dimmer work?
Thanks in advance

If it is already too loud on low, it will be too loud with a variable
speed switch. Think of it as variable noise. I'd try the dimmer, just be
sure it is rated for the motor load.

The ideal solution, of course, it to get a unit with the motor mounted
on the outside wall and just a duct indoors.

I have one with a variable speed controller built into the hood. All
was by Nutone/Broan. And, of course, slowing it down does lower the
noise. BTW, my fan is actually on the roof which is probably the
quietest option.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug G wrote:
I would be interested in knowing the success or failure of someone taking
out the Off-Lo-Hi switch in a Broan over the oven hood/fan to allow
variable control of the fan and hopefully lower the noise level? Will a
dining room light Leviton or Smith and Stone dimmer work? Thanks in advance

Just make sure it's for motors, and try it. Reducing noise will greatly
reduce air flow.
Ideally you want the fan like in the attic.
That's what I will do eventually, just like my bath.

Greg